Change cat?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Change cat? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; A few cars on board now with poor running cars and bad cats. Do u think a 96 car with ...
    stoveguyy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Change cat?

A few cars on board now with poor running cars and bad cats. Do u think a 96 car with 140k miles and no codes would benefit from new cat? I did have leaky headgaskets for several yrs so I know coolant was fouling up combustion. I wonder if my cat really flows as well as it should? Did I mention that I cannot spin my tires? Never have. Car has always seemed to be down on power from day 1. And I have owned it since 2000.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Have a back pressure test done if you think there's a problem.

As for spinning the tires:

Traction control on, they won't spin (obviously).
    Traction control off, your '96 will start off in 2nd gear, they won't spin.

You'd have to feather the brake just enough to trigger the brake lights, with traction control on, to spin the tires (applying the brakes disables traction control).

Car just seems to fall on its face when I floor it from dead stop. Sort of goes "nope"! I have never driven another caddy so I have idea how it should run. Trac control? Haha. It never even tries to engage. Hell, I even have trouble spinning tires n snow! Trac does work than.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Re: Change cat?

The amount of oil that the Northstars burn is never good for cat converters... but before wasting money I'd do a pressure test as MC suggested.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Re: Change cat?

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    A few cars on board now with poor running cars and bad cats. Do u think a 96 car with 140k miles and no codes would benefit from new cat?
    No. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Car just seems to fall on its face when I floor it from dead stop.
    Check the fuel pressure.

Maybe the thread title should be "gutless" car. I changed fuel pump 5yrs ago. Have put in 1 Fpr. Can't even recall when. Fuel filter is probably 5+ yrs old. Car has always run good but never really had good off the line pickup. Drove 2k Bonne ssei and I could spin those tires for 50ft. I am not blaming cat since I have no driveability issues or codes. I do have the Sts so I have 3.7 gear and crappy tires. U would think I could at least lay rubber.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.