2002 STS Bottom end repaired early on.........questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2002 STS Bottom end repaired early on.........questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I found out the engine in my STS apparently had some kind of bottom end problem early in it's life ...
    Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

2002 STS Bottom end repaired early on.........questions

I found out the engine in my STS apparently had some kind of bottom end problem early in it's life and was repaired under warranty. Bad piston or something. My question is, if it was taken apart at a dealer under warranty, what would they have likely done to the heads/block on re-assembly. Time serts?...........would they have just bolted it back together with no work on the threads? Any one know of a TSB regarding this? Maybe Chris can answer this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: 2002 STS Bottom end repaired early on.........questions

Based on my experience GM would only agree to pay for repairs to any threads found or damaged during repairs. They wouldn't do them all just to be nice. If enough of the holes stripped upon dis-assembly they would have replaced the engine as a defect.

Vernon

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The 2002 GM/Cadillac service manual has a chapter on specific types of thread repair, including cylinder block head bolt hole repair using inserts - but it does not say that every bolt hole must be inserted during normal or warranty repairs.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yup, under warranty they only fix what's broken. No PM. When it's on YOUR dime, they'll do all 20.

I thought about this after I posted. I didn't also make clear that my opinion is also based on the fact that the bottom end was already condemned. That's why I think if they started finding too much wrong, as in many stripped holes along with the bottom end work, they would have just totalled it and stuck in a warranty engine. It's all about costs, not spending more just to fix every last engine they ever built. To them it's just a commodity, they don't feel obligated to fix it all when they have a most cost efficient option that gets it done with a known good a lot faster.

Vernon

Caddydrummer67 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '01 ETC 49,000 miles 2002 F55 STS 63,000 miles

The exact wording in the system the dealer accessed (VIS, or whatever database they use now) said Piston and or Rings both banks?????
    So, what?.........there were bad rings/pistons on both banks............I find that highly unlikely.............I suppose not impossible though.
    Happened at approx 36,000 miles......not as early on as I thought. Anyone ever heard of this?
    If they had replaced the engine, I would think that database would say as much.

So the question is did they cut corners on the job and compromise the integrity of the head gaskets/block threads?

I know the name of the dealer where it was done, hopefully they will give me additional info on the repair. It was only 5 years ago.

I guess I'll find out when the car starts overheating...........or doesn't.

mhamilton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 XJ8-L, 2000 Eldorado ESC--total loss :(

Ah, there was a TSB for post-2000 N* engines... if they consumed excessive oil within the warranty period the dealer would update the rings to the newer style. I know it was 2000 model year, probably through 2002 but I'm not sure. That TSB was in one of the oil consumption threads here in this section.

Caddydrummer since we have to guess here's mine: They removed all the head bolts without a hitch (very low mileage then) and so they just put new ones in, torqued them to spec, and now you're still driving it without a problem just as GM engineered to to be. It's only when corrosion or bad metal enters the equation that it's a guarantee you'll have pulled threads. Remember it's not a guaranteed failure, even if the odds are it will.

Vernon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.