2002 DTS Northstar questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2002 DTS Northstar questions in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey everyone,looking at a caddy for my niece.88,000 mile car.seems clean,except it looks like like the belt for what i ...
    Orange Cobra is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

2002 DTS Northstar questions

Hey everyone,looking at a caddy for my niece.88,000 mile car.seems clean,except it looks like like the belt for what i think is the water pump belt is shredding.my question is has anyone expierenced this and is it a sign of the pump going bad?What other things are these cars notorious for?car is for my niece and i want to know what to look for...thanks everyone,Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2002 DTS Northstar questions

It's not the pump, 99% chance. The pump drive system uses a large plastic pulley with metal hub pressed onto an extension of the left bank intake cam. That pulley drives the pump pulley via a 3-rib belt and tensioner arm pulley: THAT tensioner pulley is a sealed ball bearing unit and it WILL eventually dry out and seize. (Ask me/us how I/we know).

Simple repair-replacement. The tensioner pulley can be replaced separately from the spring arm. Look in the Cadillac Tech Tips for How-to's and in my albums for pictures and diagrams of the parts. The Community tab, Albums, the two with the red Seville on the covers.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: 2002 DTS Northstar questions

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Cobra View Post
    Hey everyone,looking at a caddy for my niece.88,000 mile car.seems clean,except it looks like like the belt for what i think is the water pump belt is shredding.my question is has anyone expierenced this and is it a sign of the pump going bad?What other things are these cars notorious for?car is for my niece and i want to know what to look for...thanks everyone,Mike
    2002 is still a potential headgasket year. Although not a 100% guarantee, I would do a block test first. Also, although the DTS version of the Deville is desirable, any suspension issues such as worn struts or shocks can be much more expensive than a base or DHS edition. The other more common failures are:

Bad intake plenum (I've owned 4 Devilles from 01-05, and all 4 had bad plenums).
    mode actuator (2 out of 4)
    AC compressor (3 out of 4.
    Torque converter lock up solenoid (2 out of 4)

Not to discourage you, I love these cars, but now that they are 10 years old, repairs can add up if you are not a DIYer.[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.