Northstar Water Pump Mounting Changes - Year?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar Water Pump Mounting Changes - Year? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Can anyone tell me what year G.M. decided to mount the water pump with bolts from the block side of ...
    Mark D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Seville STS 1998 Seville STS 1995 Seville SLS 2000 ET

Northstar Water Pump Mounting Changes - Year?

Can anyone tell me what year G.M. decided to mount the water pump with bolts from the block side of the water crossover casting rather than the relatively easy snap-in pump of the older cars?
    And while you're at it, WHY?

I can only guess on why. Either to force the mechanic to install new water crossover gaskets because they're going to fail anyway, or so the mechanic can make more money, assuming the added hours make it into the flat rate book.
    I'm guessing the change would have been around 2006 or later, but not sure. 2009 has it, that's for sure.
    Just wondering so I'll know what to expect when I run across it.
    Thanks
    Mark D.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Northstar Water Pump Mounting Changes - Year?

That's a Northstar thing I believe (if I'm understanding the question correctly). Not sure if any other GM engine has it. Even the RWD Northstars have the WP mounted up front in the traditional manner I think. I think it was don't for packaging. There just ain't much real estate left under the hood.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Is it a RWD necessary change ?? Someone with a 2006+ FWD "DTS" could take a look and clear up that question ..........

I think so Jim. RWD (north/south mounted engine) would put the WP against the firewall if it was left on the rear of the engine. A cruel joke even for a GM engineer.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    The rwd northstar motor has different design front cover for mounting water pump. But we are talking about newer fwd devilles or DTS such as 06-08 vintage?

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I think the original poster is questioning when Cadillac changed how the water pump mounts on the later FWD's. The manual for 06 up DTS says to remove the entire crossover to replace the pump, as in not accessable thru the cover with the special socket. If you look on Rockauto, they do show a bolted in place water pump for the 06 up DTS. Rockauto is usually pretty good as far as illustrating the correct part.I was looking at my 06 and my wifes 2010 DTS, they both still have the removable cover to access the pump like the pre 06's do, but I cannot tell without dissassembling how it actually comes apart.

Thanks for the replies. So, '06 it is, then. After I posted, I was wondering about the rear wheel drive, and whether that had an effect. So now I think about how fun it must be to remove the whole water crossover to change the water pump on a RWD car!
    Probably not a lot of fun.
    I have a friend with an XLR. I'm going to get him to open the hood and let me look at it.
    The cover mentioned in the last post is the thermostat housing, I'd guess. That probably stayed the same.
    Maybe the only way to see the bolt heads to know how it comes apart would be with a mirror or a bore scope to see in there. Bore scope would be easier, as for a mirror the belt cover would need to come off, probably.
    Thanks. I'll go with the RWD thing. That makes the only sense.
    Mark D.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone View Post
    The manual for 06 up DTS says to remove the entire crossover to replace the pump, as in not accessable thru the cover with the special socket.
    Oh dear Lord, say it ain't so. Guess maybe I gave those engineers too much credit. Sure hope removing it on the RWD engine is easier than the FWD's.

Ranger, I haven't done one with the bolt-on pump yet. But the local GM dealership Cadillac guy has. And my son, who owns his own independent shop, has. Both on FWD cars, not RWD. It is no easier to remove the crossover. It goes on and off the same way.
    So, on a RWD car, you can use your own imagination as to how that will go?? I'd have to see one to really know. That's why I'm going to look over my friend's XLR.
    Mark D.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Dele

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.