2000 DTS - Overheating Issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By DrBASS923DTS00
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 DTS - Overheating Issues in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; In the latest saga of me vs the beast vs overheating... I grabbed the negative triggers from the 2 fan ...
    DrBASS923DTS00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS

2000 DTS - Overheating Issues

In the latest saga of me vs the beast vs overheating... I grabbed the negative triggers from the 2 fan relays and added my own relay to trigger off ignition. This seemed to help because they're always on. But sometimes the temp would shoot up but not overheat. Yesterday I was driving around checking the altenator because it stopped charging(2weeks old),the temp started climbing as I parked,just for the Hell of it, I brought the rev up 2500-3000 rpms and the temp started to drop and in less than a min went back to dead center. My question to you is: air in the system? Bad water pump? Gunk from the Bar's Leak clogging passages? Also as the temp rises,the heat gets cooler , as I rev the motor , the temp drops and the heat comes back. And theres no coolant loss. Sorry for the long text, but I can get no help out here.
    I have replaced the water pump,crossover gaskets,radiator,recovery tank,altenator(twice),starter,thermostat (twice) it has 130,000 mi,bought it last Aug with 111k, I drove it from New York to California and back last year , I had no issues til Dec when it started with the bad radiator.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2000 DTS aka The Beast - Overheating Issues

Forget the WP. If it's turning (and not leaking) it's fine.

The engine is self purging. Sealant tabs do clog the purge line so check it to be sure that it flows coolant.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Damn, that's a nice looking DTS

Thanks for the advice,I'll have it checked out

Thanks

Black Beauty DTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

Re: 2000 DTS aka The Beast - Overheating Issues

That's a nice DTS. Mine looks similar except for the pinstripes. What is that above your rear window and where did you get it from?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2000 DTS - Overheating Issues

The original question - As MC posted, check the purge line and the metal bolt/nipple for clogs. Keep the coolant level at halfway up in the reservoir, checked cold only. Remove the jury-rig fan control and let the system operate as designed. In this case, it sounds as if you have air trapped in the cooling system, but .............. Study up on just how and why this cooling system normally rises and falls in temperature under certain conditions.......... it will go to 224 degrees, normally, on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Beauty DTS View Post
    That's a nice DTS. Mine looks similar except for the pinstripes. What is that above your rear window and where did you get it from?
    Thanks. It's a rear window spoiler got it on eBay $68 painted & shipped. There's also a trunk lip spoiler too & piano black pillars. I'll post some close up pics.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

At what speeds do the spoilers become effective at holding the rear wheels to the ground for more traction on acceleration ???

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    At what speeds do the spoilers become effective at holding the rear wheels to the ground for more traction on acceleration ???
    LMAO! But seriously the racing pedals shaved off a full second off my E.T.

I have an update of sorts on the overheating problem. I was going thru my routine of checking the coolant level before heading home after work. This time I decided to check the over flow hose and the vent hose on the tank. I removed the vent hose and used an air hose to blow air into the tank,then I shot air into the hose,when I did that the antifreeze in the tank overflowed. It caught me off guard the first time,but I did it again with the same results. I drove about 26mi on the highway all the time checking the temp gauge,it never moved from dead center,even after I got onto local streets. I even went out of my way to take the long way home,it never ran hot. I'm off tomorrow and have some running around to do. I'll keep ya posted.

daveyhouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 deville D'Elegance 86 Fiero 2m4 / 86 Fiero GT W/SBC
    Awesome, isn't that a big sigh of relief, and a feel of accomplishment?
    I can't wait to get that feeling, and its not even my car I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyhouse View Post
    Awesome, isn't that a big sigh of relief, and a feel of accomplishment?
    I can't wait to get that feeling, and its not even my car I'm working on.
    Thanks. I'm still a Lil gun shy,I've been trying to figure it out since Dec so I'm not ready to breathe a sigh of relief yet. Good luck with your project.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by DrBASS923DTS00 View Post
    I have an update of sorts on the overheating problem. I was going thru my routine of checking the coolant level before heading home after work. This time I decided to check the over flow hose and the vent hose on the tank. I removed the vent hose and used an air hose to blow air into the tank,then I shot air into the hose,when I did that the antifreeze in the tank overflowed. It caught me off guard the first time,but I did it again with the same results. I drove about 26mi on the highway all the time checking the temp gauge,it never moved from dead center,even after I got onto local streets. I even went out of my way to take the long way home,it never ran hot. I'm off tomorrow and have some running around to do. I'll keep ya posted.
    You obviously had a blockage at the hollow bolt and cleared it. What you did was injected air into the cooling system in a reverse flow. That's why it backed out of the surge tank. Now just keep an eye on the coolant level for the next 2-3 drives as it may take that long to completely purge all the air and stabilize.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.