Should I clean my EGR valve also replace air pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Should I clean my EGR valve also replace air pump in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i need to clean my egr valve does it effect or in any way connected or work with the cat ...
    techx4965 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville

Should I clean my EGR valve also replace air pump

i need to clean my egr valve does it effect or in any way connected or work with the cat convert friend said he clean his egr valve and was then getting a new code for cat convert it went away after a day or two also my air pump went out getting code pcm 410 i know i need a new air pump but is it a must?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: should i clean my egr vaulve also replace air pump

Do you have to pass a smog test or check engine light scan to renew your inspection or registration?

Vernon

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Should I clean my EGR valve also replace air pump

Air pump is a must, as Vernon said, if you need to pass an emissions test. Otherwise no, if you can live with the SES light on.

The EGR IS connected to the CAT. EGR affects the exhaust, which passes through the CAT. If your EGR valve needs cleaning, it's because it is carboned up and sticking. It is a monitored device so if that's the case, you'll have an SES light and a DTC stored. Otherwise, cleaning it will have no effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Air pump is a must, as Vernon said, if you need to pass an emissions test. Otherwise no, if you can live with the SES light on.

The EGR IS connected to the CAT. EGR affects the exhaust, which passes through the CAT. If your EGR valve needs cleaning, it's because it is carboned up and sticking. It is a monitored device so if that's the case, you'll have an SES light and a DTC stored. Otherwise, cleaning it will have no effect.
    so i do need a new air pump? because iam getting the pcm 0101 code had egr code cleaned it went away still have pcm 0101 code mechanic thinks clogged cat

You need to post the code definitions along with the codes. No one has the memorized.

A clogged CAT would present driveability problems. The engine can inhale, but can't exhale. It won't run fast or well if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by techx4965 View Post
    so i do need a new air pump? because iam getting the pcm 0101 code had egr code cleaned it went away still have pcm 0101 code mechanic thinks clogged cat
    I have some memorized but I'm a special case because it's my profession, even though, you should always post the definitions because I've been known to be wrong LOL. P0101 is easy because the base of everything else, MAF performance out of range. It has nothing to do with the AIR pump. It very well could be to a clogged Catalyst, IF SO, you won't have much horsepower as Ranger said. If your Deville doesn't impress you when you kick it into passing gear you should have an exhaust shop or your mechanic perform an back-pressure check to determine if it's clogging up. There's no need to guess when you can test. Other causes of this code are bad MAFs, vacuum leaks, and wiring problems. If the car runs better with the MAF unplugged then that condemns the MAF itself. If you have vacuum leaks you should have P017X codes also indicating lean fuel system detected.

Vernon

cleaned egr was dirty as hell reset codes a few times and these ones come back consistent card drives fine slight misfire i believe but it doesn't even register it its because of one of these probs iam suspecting the cat convert codes are as follows IPC 1192 DONT KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.....IRC U1016=Loss of Communications with PCM .... PCM 0101 PCM 463......RIM CO658=Level Control Compressor Circuit High BROUGHT TO MECHANIC AND FRIEND SUSPECT THE CAT CONVERT LIKE I SAID WOULD THAT SET THESE CODES?? I KNOW IT WOULD FOR PCM 0101 BUT WHAT ARE OTHERS PLEASE HELP SHOULD I ORDER THAT CAT?

All the other codes that don't begin with a P are not important to how the car runs. P stands for power-train and deal with the engine control. Speaking of which when you say "SHOULD I ORDER THAT CAT?" I say "Did you read this? If so what did you find? The answer will let you or us know whether you need to or not. We can't tell you anything based on a bunch of codes without symptoms or testing results." --->
    Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    P0101 is MAF performance out of range. It has nothing to do with the EGR Valve or any of those other codes. It very well could be to a clogged Catalyst, IF SO, you won't have much horsepower as Ranger said. If your Deville doesn't impress you when you kick it into passing gear you should have an exhaust shop or your mechanic perform an back-pressure check to determine if it's clogging up. There's no need to guess when you can test. Other causes of this code are bad MAFs, vacuum leaks, and wiring problems. If the car runs better with the MAF unplugged then that condemns the MAF itself. If you have vacuum leaks you should have P017X codes also indicating lean fuel system detected.

Vernon
    Though it may seem like it the codes are not a "fix this list", they are just a "something is wrong in this system list". You have to do testing to find the problem itself.

Vernon

well i just bought a direct fit cat from eastern for 160 shipped hope it clears pcm 0101 i also noticed during this codes driving there was a strange odor and lil bit of smoke coming from under car i opened hood and there was just small faint clouds of smoke rising from the bottom i could tell it was coming from underneath like near exhaust any ways hope new cat works is 160 good?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Considering that a new GM exhaust system - pre-cat all the way back - for your car (if you could find one) costs over $1250, you should hope that the Eastern cat will solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Considering that a new GM exhaust system - pre-cat all the way back - for your car (if you could find one) costs over $1250, you should hope that the Eastern cat will solve your problem.
    i can get the whole exhaust with out cat like u said for about 400-500 mechanic doing it has 20 plus years knows his stuff in and out

secondary air injection system (smog pump) problem

so i replaced the pump as it was bad and kept blowing the fuse the new one has worked for quite awhile but all the sudden iam getting the same code again and the pump isint kicking on also the fuse is not blowing its fine so what could this be?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4
    The AIR pump relay is clipped to the right strut tower - check the relay, connector and wiring.

I didn't say "without cat" - I said "pre-cat", which is the way the factory system is made - from the 4-bolt flange back. One piece.

Something else is causing your present problem.

Because this new thread is a continuation of your earlier EGR/AIR question, I merged them for continuity.

ok i checked the smog pump again just to be sure turns out it is running...so wat could be throwing the 410 code?

Check valves

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.