2000+ engine in 1998 possible maybe?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000+ engine in 1998 possible maybe? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I was just wondering if anyone happened to know whether or not the 2000+ L37 engine would fit in my ...
    danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

2000+ engine in 1998 possible maybe?

I was just wondering if anyone happened to know whether or not the 2000+ L37 engine would fit in my 1998 STS, replacing the current L37 engine I have now. I'm mostly concered with the placement of the engine mounts, since that would probably determine whether or not its possible. If it fits, I would buy a new one with the 2000+ computer and sell my old one on ebay I guess, or to whomever may want it. The main reason for this idea is the fact that I'm jealous of the newer years 6.5 0-60 time and ability to run perfectly on regular fuel. I think it would be nice if it could be done. It works perfectly, but I still want that faster time. You know how it is. Any thoughts on this would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

an01sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 2000+ engine in 1998 possible maybe?

Good question! I'm way out of my league at chunkin in such information, so all I can offer is thought. (And that 'dont mean much.) I think one of the changes relates to something about a torque bar ? engine mount ? change. I know that something that relates to who they are nailed in the car changed in--I think 00.

We share the same platform, so you would think that if you could find a 00 + donor car, you could bone whatever parts were changed. I would think that the changed parts would bolt on because it costs a bundle to retool the platfrom, even with little things such as bolting holes.

The upgrade: I don't know if my 99 was simply a dog car--as what seemed to be with that guy, a little while ago, who passed on the STS because it didn't have the @$$bone he expected. I'm not saying that my 99 was a dog because I never drove another 99 as a comparison. I do know that when I hopped in my 01, with 103 transport miles on it, and lightly cracked the throttle, I thought, "Man! The 99 was a pos."

I don't know how much faster the 01 is. I just know that when I just touched the gas, I said "Whow! And it aint even broken in." So I think that the upgrade would be nice.

You live in the mideast seaboard area--don't you? I live 1/2 mile dead south of Baltimore City line, about a 1.5 miles east of I95. Are you in general ball park? If it didn't involve a thousand mile journey, we could put the cars side by side and see if we could figure out the differences. I'd like look at/hear that Corsa. From what I've seen at their site, it seems as if it's an incredible system.

Another option is that pictures are worth a thousand words. I have no clue as to what I should look for as differences, but I have a an abundance of common sense. What we could do is that you start out by posting pictures of engine/engine compartment areas, and I would try to duplicate the same shot so that you could compare whatever differences.

I'm in West Chester, PA right now. It's about 25 or so miles south of Philly. I looked up the mounts, and the only one that changed was the Right Engine mount. The other engine mount and two tranny mounts are the same for '98-04. The only thing I can't find is where to buy a new 2000 and up L37 Northstar. I've been searching on google for about 2 day now and haven't found anything worth while. I went to GMGoodwrench's website and couldn't find anything there either. Although I would make most of the price difference up if I sold my current engine with accesories, I still don't want to spend over 6000 on a brand new one direct from Cadillac if I don't have too. It would be nice to find a place that sell them cheaper. I found one site that might, but I'll have to call them. This idea is a lot more complicated than I first thought. I'm going back home in two weeks, and I'll see if I can jack up the car and take some pictures.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

This whole idea of replacing a 93-99 with 2000 or later engine has been covered several times before in detail....basically it is not something that can reasonably be done. The 2000 and later computer will not work with the rest of the cars electronics and you will have to replace the entire wiring harnesses if you considered doing it anyway. I would not even consider this. If you lust after a 2000 and later engine it would be FAR simpler, cheaper and easier to sell your car and buy a 2000 or later Cadillac with the engine already installed and sorted out....LOL....seriously.

Yeah I know, it was just a thought. I was thinking about a trade in for like a 2001 or something, but I still want to experiment with this car some more (posi diff, high stall torque converter,...ect). I also don't want to loose my Corsa or MiniDisc changer. Thanks for the reply Bbob.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.