97 ETC Head Gasket Project - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 ETC Head Gasket Project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Oil on headbolt? I reread your thread and am not following. Motor was tore apart for overheating issues. U think ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Oil on headbolt? I reread your thread and am not following. Motor was tore apart for overheating issues. U think motor was worked on before. Was block timserted before? Ok. Yes there is oil in cam area on top of head under valve cover? There is supposed to be oil there. So you drilled out headbolt thread and ou went too deep? Or are you saying this hole was there all along? You said someone had worked on motor before? How deep is hole? Use a tool to measure depth. Compare it too adjacent bolt hole?

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: 97 ETC Head Gasket Project

This motor was defintely worked on before.

The hole in question when the bolt was removed was covered in motor oil. This same hole when drilled had black pits at the base of the hole. Now I see those pits were actually pores in the aluminum.

All the other holes were drilled to the same depth and had no issues. The depth of a cylinder head bolt hole is 70mm as per the factory service manual.

This particular hole has an issue, but I have a remedy for that.....

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    So what is the remedy? A cork? Jb weld?

A cork would be cute but not practical.

J B weld is going down in there and then drilled again.

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Good luck! I hope your persistance pays off! Thanks for the pictures, as I intend on doing some jobs like this in the future. I am doing headgaskets on a 3.5 Aurora right now, waiting on cam holder tools, but those are not supposed to have the threads tear out as often as the 4.6 does.

ktr-sb is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 SRX 3.6L 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by RandyT. View Post
    Good luck! I hope your persistance pays off! Thanks for the pictures, as I intend on doing some jobs like this in the future. I am doing headgaskets on a 3.5 Aurora right now, waiting on cam holder tools, but those are not supposed to have the threads tear out as often as the 4.6 does.
    I am sure you are fine without any help, but just in case, here is my headgasket job on the same motor in a 2000 Intrigue, which now has 50K on the repair:

http://99intrigue.shutterfly.com/headgasket

/threadhijack

Any information is always appreciated...........

----------

Quote Originally Posted by ktr-sb View Post
    I am sure you are fine without any help, but just in case, here is my headgasket job on the same motor in a 2000 Intrigue, which now has 50K on the repair:

/threadhijack
    Good write up......

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I liked those pictures of a miniature Northstar yet it's completely different inside.

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

Very nice writeup! I have it bookmarked at work. Thank you. The guys on the Aurora club also posted the fsm pages for me, but it's nice to have your first had experience.

/threadhijack

Well,

Believe it or not the cradle is back in........

No scrapes to the valve covers, no pinched wires, nothing out of the ordinary.

Im my personal opinion, to those that like dropping the whole subframe I take my hat off to you, but you can have that mess.

Even with the car on the lift, the subframe, wheels and all on the pallet jack, it was a MIRACLE that I had it lined up that good. I had to lower the car every few inches to check for alignment of the cradle to body. When the body was damn near on top of the engine, I was checking to see if the firewall was going to clear the coil pack and ignition wires, the right side cooling pipes, the ebtm had to be fastened back the bracket in the cradle just before we made "touchdown".

To me, landing the lunar module on the moon would have been easier.

Nonetheless she's in.

There is the wiring to be addressed, a few mounts to be replaced, the sidecover is going to come off, but I've got a trick for that one. Sway bar links are to be swapped. Brakes hoses to be replaced, brake fluid to be added and overall full check over.

I'm waiting for it to run but I'm not going to rush anything.

When I'm done, I just want him to enjoy it for a long time without issues.

Stay tuned.........
    Eldorado_RED likes this.

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Congrats! I just got the engine back in mine last weekend! Took a good two hours. You are getting close now! I got everything hooked up pretty quick, and am hopefully starting the car tonight. From the cradle back in to everything wired up, it was probably 5 or 6 hours, but I went kinda slow. No need to rush.

Hardest part with the sub frame for me was the ABS module along with the struts. The struts kept getting caught in the well, and the ABS module with the pass brake line was always getting in the way...
    Eldorado_RED likes this.

Well,
    Today is my birthday...

It will be a memorable one. I finally finsihed Eldorado_Red's ETC.

We ran into some snafu toward the end with a crank, no start condition. In the end, low and behold it might have been the crank sensors not plugged all the way in.

I had to double check the wiring and etc. I had my fsm and went the through some of the scenarios, but when I doubled checked the sensors and heard them "click" when the connector went on, I knew they were seated.

I can't recall if I had heard them click when I was rerouting the harnesses back into there respective places, but when I checked thenm today they came off kind of too easy. Once I heard them click I knew they were on.

When the car finally started we were both relieved, but before it started I talked tho his car and said, "I know you've been sitting along time but you're going on the road again whether you like it or not".

Once started the remaining old gas that was in the gas tank smoked out the shop. It was a little startling at first but, it soon cleared up.

I have to say the 97-99 motors seem to "breathe" easier than my 00 deville. Don't get me wrong my deville revs quickly and is pretty potent, but his ETC was STRONG.

His 109k motor begged to be abused. It was unreal the power out of that stock set up.

We had grinded out that horrible "Y" pipe at the rear of the engine. I can't imagine if I had disassembled the heads and cleaned up the bowls under the valve seat and blended them back into the ports. That would have freed up at least a couple of extra horses.

Nonetheless, she's quite, ran good down the road. He punched it twice and responded immediately. Temp staying in the middle. Fans kicked on. Everything seems kosher.

I have to say it was my first headgasket on one of those things. I know it won't be my last, I have my own eldorado to get back up running, but it sure was a great learning lesson.

They're not bad cars at all. They are worth saving if you have the time, patience and the tools.

Good Luck with it Eldorado_Red.

I'll see you if it needs tweaking, but for the most part.......she rides again.

Part of me is a little jealous mine isn't running.....

Enjoy your car buddy.....

I still can't believe how strong and fast that car was........

If my ESC is anything remotely close to that, I'm NEVER getting out of that car.....
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Eldorado_RED is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wink Re: 97 ETC Head Gasket Project

*UPDATE*

First off, i want to thank 98eldo32v........it took a long time but I'm so glad I was patient enough to let him finish the job.

As of today, I have put about 200 miles on her. Runs smooth, no hiccups.....have yet to be stuck in stop and go traffic but did a fair amount of driving in the city. There were a couple of times where the temp meter moved close to the next notch but then went back to the middle.

There is steam coming out the exhaust, I can see it thru my mirrors at a stop light, hopefully its just the weather and the car warming up.

I did have an issue one day with the car not starting due to theft system and 3 minute wait display...This only lasted for one day and I haven't had that issue since but the "Theft system problem car may not start" warning comes on at every start up. Aside from the warning, its starting fine.

Another issue is the Service Engine Soon light stays on and never goes off, even when i reset the codes its comes right back. I have the following codes:

P0138 - Bank 1 sensor 2
    P0151 - Bank 2 sensor 1
    P1645 - Evaporation Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit
    B2711 - PASSkey open/shorted pellet after good key
    C1241 - Variable Effort Steering Circuit Malfunction
    C1738 - Exhaust Solenoid Valve Short to GND

If there are things I should keep and eye on or measures to take, please let me know. Me and 98eldo32v will be glad to answer any questions. Thanks
    CadillacLuke24 likes this.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You have pre-cat and left (front) cylinder bank O2 sensor problems.
    EVAP canister and vent solenoid are under the body - rear seat - driver's side.
    Maybe a steering wheel position sensor fault
    The ELC - rear level control air compressor - has a bad supply/exhaust head solenoid control. Tail dragging ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.