1998 Deville Northstar - ready to get my hands dirty
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1998 Deville Northstar - ready to get my hands dirty in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello everyone. New to the forums and just purchased a 98 deville. Absolute beauty with blown head gaskets. So I ...
    KidCavanna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

1998 Deville Northstar - ready to get my hands dirty

Hello everyone. New to the forums and just purchased a 98 deville. Absolute beauty with blown head gaskets. So I will be asking a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for the support.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: New and ready to get my hands dirty

Hiya ............. Welcome Aboard !!!

Get your feet wet, first. Go way up in the top black bar and read - study - the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Then go down to Discussions, Item Specific: Cadillac Tech Tips and wade through the pages for threads of interest. Then read all the sticky posts at the top of Engines, Northstar Performance. Then read the stickys at the top of the Deville forum page. There is necessary info in every one of these reading assignments - the knowledge will put you way ahead in the "How do I ...... ?" category.

You said "Get my hands dirty" - on care, repair and maintenance only because there are literally NO "performance upgrades" for the car or engine. Get a GM service manual (NOT Chilton or Haynes) from either ebay or www.helminc.com. Consider looking into www.alldatadiy.com.

Update your profile to show your car, year, model, mileage.
    Kev and Kev like this.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

and

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Bought one with headgasket issues? Sounds like a good project You'll get all kinds of help here, especially with fixing the HG issues. Good luck and welcome!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Welcome and thank you for rescuing a great Cadillac from the inevitable crushing it would have suffered. My kind of Cadillac guy!

You are surely going to feel at home here!

Thank you everyone. A few questions. I am as of now waiting on parts, organizing the garage, and stocking up on the necessary tools. As far as drilling and taping kits go...... Which is the best? Time sert? Any other suggestions? While I am replacing the HG is there any other service I should perform at this time since the engine is out? Again thanks in advance. You guys are always all over this.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Stud the engine, look up northstar performance.com or carroll custom cadillac. Reseal it too

Quote Originally Posted by KidCavanna View Post
    Thank you everyone. A few questions. I am as of now waiting on parts, organizing the garage, and stocking up on the necessary tools. As far as drilling and taping kits go...... Which is the best? Time sert? Any other suggestions? While I am replacing the HG is there any other service I should perform at this time since the engine is out? Again thanks in advance. You guys are always all over this.
    NO time serts. They suck. Many people have had them fail. Norm serts or studs from N* performance or Carroll Custom Cadillac. Both are tried and true.

Bottom ends on the Northstar are very reliable, so unless you want to overhaul the engine or have had issues with the bottom end, worry only about the top end. From what I've seen, it'd be a fantastic idea to check up on the timing chain guides, and replace as necessary. If your trans has current problems, service it NOW while it's easy to get at.

Hey Sub, what was the trick you're supposed to do with the dremel and the y-pipe? That would be a good idea.

Lastly, anything else that needs servicing is best done when you have the engine out. All kinds of room. Check the coolant pipes that run behind the engine. Check the motor mounts. Stuff like that.

Good luck! Once you get it done you will have one heck of a Cadillac, and compliments to yourself!
    Kev and Kev like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Good luck with your new project!

I have read about that y pipe as well. It was an assembly welded part with some residual pipe blocking the flow from my understanding. I will keep my eye out for that.

I've only driven this car about 1 mile. I know the HG are shot but as far as the trans....? The car has 144K miles, straight as an arrow and is super clean! As long as I keep an eye on the coolant and temperature is it safe to push her a lil bit to test everything? I just don't want to make any more work for myself than I have to.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I wouldn't drive or even start a car with blown head gaskets. It might not damage it but why take the chance....
    Kev and Kev like this.

02603sec is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS 1SF Black V8 2006
    Good luck with the new project. And congrats on the caddy acquisiton! Plenty of info here. Not every northstar has blown hg's. btw!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by 02603sec View Post
    Good luck with the new project. And congrats on the caddy acquisiton! Plenty of info here. Not every northstar has blown hg's YET. btw!
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    fixed.
    HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

My engine is the 275 hp vin Y. Are the vin#9 cams plug and play for the vin Y??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.