2000 deville clicking noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 deville clicking noise in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; i got a 2000 deville and it starting making clicking noises under the hood sometimes it goes away and sometimes ...
    dj_sunny is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2000 deville clicking noise

i got a 2000 deville and it starting making clicking noises under the hood sometimes it goes away and sometimes it doesnt does anyone no wat is causing this? and the other question is when i do "wto" i get a rotten egg smell in the car, why does this happen?

thanks,
    www.cardomain.com/id/baller_cars

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 2000 deville clicking noise

Well, the clicking noise you describe could be anything. It could be the A/C clutch, any number of relays, the idle air control device, you name it. You'll have to provide some detail about when it happens, what it sounds like, etc. Is it a steady tick-tick-tick-tick or is it uneven in frequency? How much time is there between clicks? If you turn off the climate system, does it go away? Does the car idle evenly at about 650 RPMs?

As for the rotten egg smell, that sounds an awful lot like a bad catalytic converter, and it may be leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin. The smell comes from sulphur in the cat, and the only way to get rid of the smell that I know of is to replace the converter. You may get a Service Engine Soon light and/or a Service Emissions System message on the dash. Have you had any exhaust work done to the car? How many miles are on it?

Good luck...

M C
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    Well, the clicking noise you describe could be anything. It could be the A/C clutch, any number of relays, the idle air control device, you name it. You'll have to provide some detail about when it happens, what it sounds like, etc. Is it a steady tick-tick-tick-tick or is it uneven in frequency? How much time is there between clicks? If you turn off the climate system, does it go away? Does the car idle evenly at about 650 RPMs?

As for the rotten egg smell, that sounds an awful lot like a bad catalytic converter, and it may be leaking carbon monoxide into the cabin. The smell comes from sulphur in the cat, and the only way to get rid of the smell that I know of is to replace the converter. You may get a Service Engine Soon light and/or a Service Emissions System message on the dash. Have you had any exhaust work done to the car? How many miles are on it?

Good luck...

M C
    no i havnt had any messages or had any exhaust work done to it and it only has 41k on it

OK, so it's low mileage and no exhaust work done. I agree it *shouldn't* be the cat, but rotten egg sure sounds like it. If you smell the exhaust right at the tailpipe while the engine is hot, does it smell like rotten eggs, or do you smell that any other time?

Also, what about the clicking sound? You didn't answer the questions from the first reply. Let us know.
    Mike

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Rotten egg smell can also be caused by high sulfur fuel or a rich fuel condition. Try a different brand/station and check for a leaky FPR.

When you hear the ticking, put a 1/2" breaker bar on the square hole in the belt tensioner and release the tension just enough to make the belt stop. If the ticking goes away then it is narrowed down to the serpentine belt, idler pully, tensionor pully or one of the accessories.

the clicking noise goes away when i turn the climate controll off and when i turn it back on it starts to make the noise again. and the rotten egg smell i cant smell from the back end of the car only from the front or in the cabin and i put in 92 octane in, im gonna start to put 87 octane in and try that.
    thanks alot guys for your help

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

I get the rotten egg smell as well.. but it comes and goes. I did get my mufflers replaced with two big chrome ones that pack quite a rumble. Could the bigger pipes have killed the Cat?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by blunted
    I get the rotten egg smell as well.. but it comes and goes. I did get my mufflers replaced with two big chrome ones that pack quite a rumble. Could the bigger pipes have killed the Cat?
    No

OK, DJ Sunny, the clicking you hear is the air conditioner compressor clutch engaging. The compressor doesn't run continuously. It cycles on and off depending on pressures in the system, engine RPMs, temperature in the car, etc. It's normal and you don't have to worry about it unless something on the climate system stops working.

As for the rotten egg smell, Ranger added good info. Switch brands of gas for a while and see if it goes away. So do you only smell it when you put the pedal on the floor (for wide open throttle) or does the exhaust always smell like that but you normally don't notice it. It's a little troubling that you smell it in the car while you're driving...

M C
    Mike

the clicking noise started like a few months ago and the rotten egg smell only happens when i put the pedal 2 the floor and only then.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.