Small Oil Leak and Smell in 2000 Cadillac Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Small Oil Leak and Smell in 2000 Cadillac Deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; So the yesterday I just had my oil changed and new tires installed. I had my cadillac for about a ...
    vctrfs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville Base

Small Oil Leak and Smell in 2000 Cadillac Deville

So the yesterday I just had my oil changed and new tires installed. I had my cadillac for about a year and from the first time I got it, there was always this faint smell of something in my car. I was told by a mechanic that its probably my Air Idle Control Value and it just needed to be cleaned(which I never did). Also, my car has been leaking oil recently(I'd say about a week or so ago and only a couple of drop here and there). There has also been some light smoke since I got the car, but its really rare(thought I saw some under the car today).I just bought some oil leak thing that was suppose to help from autozone, and I drove my car home and I saw a couple of drips still, but not as much as before. I uploaded a video on youtube and if you guys can check it out and give me some solutions, that would be awsome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLaPkX9c3Co

Also, for the oil leak. Is this something that will be major and I can just leave it be? I've read on these forums and some people with oil leaks just have to deal with it instead of paying 2k for an oil pan change. If that is my case, should I just let it be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    It look that the rear seal went bad. That is a big job. That is the seal between the motor and trans. I see that you live in new york. If you live near nyc the are couple of places in the bronx and brooklyn that you could go to. Go to one of major autoparts store like autozone and try one of those real seal sealer that you could add to the oil. It is cheap. Try it good lk.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Re: Small Oil Leak and Smell in 2000 Cadillac Deville

Quote Originally Posted by grullon10 View Post
    It look that the rear seal went bad. That is a big job. That is the seal between the motor and trans. I see that you live in new york. If you live near nyc the are couple of places in the bronx and brooklyn that you could go to. Go to one of major autoparts store like autozone and try one of those real seal sealer that you could add to the oil. It is cheap. Try it good lk.

This is a first, Autozone and snake oil recommendation in one post, Bad advice.

Only way to fix it is to drop the cradle remove the engine from the transmission and re-seal it according to GM TSB. Fixes in a bottle are a no no, along with Autozone, if i own a honda id' be going there, but i own a Cadillac, i'll stick with quality parts as much as i can lol

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by vctrfs View Post
    I had my cadillac for about a year and from the first time I got it, there was always this faint smell of something in my car. I was told by a mechanic that its probably my Air Idle Control Value and it just needed to be cleaned(which I never did).
    The IAC (Idle Air Control) valve will not cause a smell of any kind, clean or dirty.

I just bought some oil leak thing that was suppose to help from autozone
    Stay out of AZ and DO NOT put any snake oil in the tank, crankcase or cooling system. That crap will deteriorate seals so that they swell (until they fail).

Also, for the oil leak. Is this something that will be major and I can just leave it be? I've read on these forums and some people with oil leaks just have to deal with it instead of paying 2k for an oil pan change. If that is my case, should I just let it be?
    It all depends on exactly what is leaking. Could be as simple as an oil pressure switch or as extensive as a halfcase seal. Where exactly are you seeing the oil?

grullon10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 cadillac dts
    Another thing if you are going to keep the car for more than a year I would recomend to fix it. If not keep an eye on the oil. Just add oil when you need it . From exp I have a 06 dts I had it for 4 years in the 1st month caddy reseal the engine a year later it was leaking from the timing chain cover change the cover with one from caddy and now is leaking again. What I'm doing is that I check the oil every 3 days at this point I'm loosing a qt of oil every 1500 miles. I found that to reseal the engine it would cost me over 2k. Is cheaper to spend 4 to 5 bucks on qt of oil.

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

It is unfortunate about your N* oil leak, however you got off lucky in the replies that came. When I saw autozone and additives mentioned I felt bad for you. I too have mentioned the two "A's" before. Lets just say I am a believer now.Air fresheners and wax maybe, nothin' else guys, honest!
    These folks probably get tired of hearing from me, but they are N* wise.
    It sounds like you should change your oil again, so the oil snake can't leave any lingering babies....N*'s that drip oil=bad......N*'s that use oil= OK....N* at 4500 to 5000rpm's= big smile... thanks Ed

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Could be oil pressure sending unit - that is common, but it's probably the rear main seal - just live with it, as grullion suggested. Also, leave the IAC alone

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

From the video and the description my guess is the rear main seal, drips down to the engine/transmission joint and onto the front exhaust crossunder pipe, thus the smoke and smell.

No stop leak on earth will cure the leak, and the fix is to drop the cradle, transmission, torque converter, flexplate and replace the rear seal assembly, and that is NO picnic. GM labor time alone is 13 hours, and that's in a dealership with all the special tools and fixtures.

That IAC solenoid looks like it uses Torx machine screws, not an Allen or Philips head. If the upper right screw is damaged the only way to get it out is to carefully drill a hole into the head/shaft and use a proper sized EZ-Out to remove it. Replace it (them) with new metric machine screws.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.