Are 2001 y code transmissions AAN and VAN interchangeable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Are 2001 y code transmissions AAN and VAN interchangeable? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Does anyone know if they are different? I want to put an AAN with new seals and TC into a ...
    PaleAle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville, 01 SLS, 00 STS, 04 C5 Convert 67 Stang Convert

Are 2001 y code transmissions AAN and VAN interchangeable?

Does anyone know if they are different? I want to put an AAN with new seals and TC into a car I'm working on to get rid of the TCC clutch code. I can get the trans for $100, much cheaper than repairing the other one. Mine is VAN. The engine is out of the car right now so if I can fix it with this swap it would be worth it.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Re: Are 2001 y code transmissions AAN and VAN interchangeable?

I also have a 2001 DeVille and have noticed the two different calibrations. I've looked through repair, TSB, and replacement part data and can't find any mention of the two separate 01 transmissions. There are only one each of hydraulic diagrams and wiring diagrams. They are serviced and replaced with the same assembly or service parts, the only options on the parts diagram blow ups are 2 bolts vs. a stud bolt on the exterior. I can only tell you that it's not a major difference. If anything it's a middle of production year valve-body calibration change to address some minor fault or shift pattern issue. My gut feeling is they will interchange satifactorly and I doubt you'll notice a difference. But that's just a hunch based on experience and what I've looked at concerning the same question, then and today. If any body else knows any different I'd like to hear it also in case mine ever kills over.

Vernon

The car is back on the road and running fine. No codes and it seems to act and shift normally. I would consider them interchangeable. Now I wonder if different years that use the same safety neutral switch and shift controls are too. I suspect they are, excepting the 9 vs Y difference of course.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Thanks for the update, it is appreciated. I'm very glad I was correct and didn't steer you wrong. I ended up having my transmission overhauled at the end of my engine work with a clutch and seal kit, remanufactured converter, and I replaced both axle bushings and the TCC solenoid. So far my transmission is perfect.

Vernon

Good to hear. Thanks for the help. What are your thoughts on interchanging 01,02,03s?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.