96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Wait a minute. Just checked me codes again and I do indeed have an IP1552 in history, as well as ...
    magistrate_apeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Base
    Wait a minute. Just checked me codes again and I do indeed have an IP1552 in history, as well as an IP2128 that I didn't catch before. Would those have anything to do with me torque converter?

----------

Whoops. 1552 is KAM... I had the battery out fer a day. 2128 is tps over voltage. Surely I don't have yet another bad tps. Although that would explain the tcc.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold

KAM is simply because the battery was removed. It has no effect. TPS over voltage might be another story though.

Checked tps with a multimeter. No dead spots, and wiring harness is carrying 5 volts. What next...

Now tps is definitely acting up again. Car not wanting to idle down until I cycle the ignition 3 times. Ordered a Delco unit, will be here some time today. Now, did I get 2 bad autozone units that both gave out within 1000 miles, or is my car roasting them somehow?

Anything from AutoZone is questionable.

Indeed. I normally steer clear of all autozone branded electronics, including starters and alternators, but I gave in on the tps because I was in a hurry. Came with a lifetime warranty, but given its a pain in the arse to change, I give up. I've found that I can usually buy genuine Delco and Delphi parts from Amazon for close to the same money as lower quality aftermarket parts. Free shipping via a Prime account helps. I only wish my local GM dealerships wouldn't attempt to fleece me every time I would like to purchase a part from them. oh well. New Delco tps will arrive today. Cost me $46 including overnight Saturday delivery shipping.

You must consider that anything with a lifetime warranty must be cheap to produce and a lifetime warranty is fine on easy to change parts. Not so much on the PITA ones.

Couple questions:

What is code ip1552? Pops up intermittently in history.

What is IRC in diagnostics? I always get NO IRC DATA.

New tps didn't fix. Car still acting funky. Still have tcc issue, intermittently. Brake fluid switch light now coming on intermittently, even though I've changes that sensor twice with junkyard parts. Trip odometer and avg fuel mileage still resetting here and there. Thinking this is all electrical. Ecm, pcm, something. Maybe a harness with a bad connection.

----------

Also, when I plug in my bluetooth obdii adapter and run a scan using an app on me android phone, it makes my car shutter. And, some of the voltage readouts bounce around, which I originally attributed to the cheap adapter and software.

Tried to run a full diagnostic scan using Torque Pro, but it kept endlessly refreshing, while the car sputtered and began to overheat. So I cut it short, not getting any info, and cleared the car's computer. Restarted the car and it cooled right back down is running smoothly again.

IRC (Integrated Radio Module)

Code definitions are in the links in the DTC Sticky.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.