96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My car is a pre-OBDII 96 model. Does that make a difference?...
    magistrate_apeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Deville Base

Re: 96 Deville won't idle down, hard start and backfires when cold

My car is a pre-OBDII 96 model. Does that make a difference?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No. In fact, it might be the 4.9 that had that, but again, I'm not positive. I AM positive that yours does not have that feature.

OK. If not a relay, and thoughts as to where I should look? Where are those relays and things, anyhow? I know where the regular fuse box is on the fender well, but I didn't see the other that's mentioned in the manual.

Took the girlfriend out this afternoon in the Caddy. Ran beautifully for a while, then the buzzers began buzzing. PC0717, turbine speed sensor. Wonderful. Then it sped up on its own again, briefly, and then settled back down. Gonna try tps swap tomorrow. Then, come Monday, begin hunting for someone to fix that stupid sensor at a reasonable price. BahHumBug.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

P 0717 is "Input Speed sensor circuit". You might want to open and clean the main transmission wiring harness connector first. Down low below the water pump/water pump cover area.

FWIW, to replace the ISS requires removing the transmission from the car.

The GM cost is a bit over $100 for the sensor and 12 hours labor.

Yeah, I've been researching it since last night. Found the part for a whopping $26, but there's no easy fix. Gonna begin interviewing mechanics on Monday. There's a little transmission shop down the road from me that I've got a good relationship with. Hopefully they'll cut me a deal.

Anyone know how to locate the wire and plug in for this sensor on the outside of the transmission? I'm fixing to crawl under the car and check out the air compressor, so maybe I can find it and clean it, just for a laugh...

Somehow I missed Submariner's post earlier. I was just under the car and could have checked that harness. I was looking for it on the driver side. Damnit...

Couple questions:

Could the idle air control valve cause my high idle? The car was idling fine earlier. I pulled the iac off to inspect it again, and I gave it a little shot of WD-40 and let it sit. Is the rod supposed to have any travel or wiggle? Anyhow, I reinstalled it, started the car and it wouldn't idle down again. Throttle body is spit-shined, including the hole for the iac.

Looked at the air compressor and rear shocks. They're pretty rusty looking and the passenger side has a broken airline. The compressor makes a lot of racket and looks like a pain in the rear. Question is, if I purchase and install the Monroe conversion kits 90008 and 90009, will I still constantly get the annoying "service ride control" message?

Quote Originally Posted by magistrate_apeman View Post
    Could the idle air control valve cause my high idle?
    Yes. It is an air bypass circuit. The valve controls the amount of air bypassing the closed throttle plate. Is the plunger in good condition?

Is the rod supposed to have any travel or wiggle?
    It moves in and out to control air flow. Not sure if there is any wiggle to it or not though. Never had to pull mine.

The transmission connector IS on the rear (driver's) end of the engine. So is the water pump and the water pump drive system/thermostat.

Hahaha. I thought the water pump was on the passenger side wrapped up in all that accessory drive mess.

My iac plunger doesn't move in and out at all by hand.

----------

Let me rephrase that. The iac did wiggle a little, but there was no throw. The plunger didn't slide in and out at all, it just had a slight bit of slop in it, it felt.

And what if I wanted to install a new air compressor; could I install new non electric air shocks and get rid of the "service ride" message?

Either install the new compressor assembly and repair the air lines - cross your fingers for the shocks - they're expensive, OR look in the Monroe catalog for new shocks with air bladders - you can run the air lines/valves (like tire valves) into the trunk and manually control rear ride height.

You need to do some resistor work in the shock electrical connectors to get rid of the suspension system messages.

Down in Cadilac Tech Tips or in one of the many threads in this forum over the past year. Google "cadillac forums 1996 deville suspension height control" or similar, always using "cadillac forums .........................." in the request.

Quote Originally Posted by magistrate_apeman View Post
    My iac plunger doesn't move in and out at all by hand.

----------

Let me rephrase that. The iac did wiggle a little, but there was no throw. The plunger didn't slide in and out at all, it just had a slight bit of slop in it, it felt.
    It's not supposed to move by hand. It is electronically controlled and operated.

These worth a darn? They come with resistors and whatnot, and allow me to keep my leveling system. $316 for the pair with free shipping on amazon: https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...28_gid110.html

Monroe's tech support emailed me and said their suspension packages include instructions for disabling the dash messages, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.