Mystery klanking sound.. over 200K N* - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Mystery klanking sound.. over 200K N* in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic Have you checked the Harmonic Damper? It's common, esp. at your mileage. Pull the LH ...
    Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Mystery klanking sound.. over 200K N*

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    Have you checked the Harmonic Damper? It's common, esp. at your mileage. Pull the LH front wheel and liner to expose it and look for defunct elastomer between the hub and pulley. If you can just look down at it and see anything or it wobbles you've found it already.

Vernon
    RF wheel - the balancer is on the "passenger side" - the front of the engine.

"Clanking" in time with the starter sure sounds flexplate/torque converter related.

You might be able to get a peek in the bottom flexplate cover - under the transmission. Can't see much through the starter opening - with the intake manifold removed.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

A common mistake! Left and right is from the driver seat in car language!

daveyhouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 deville D'Elegance 86 Fiero 2m4 / 86 Fiero GT W/SBC

I didn't even think about the torque converter, been there done that also, almost the same sound as the broken flexplate I had. It was on a grand caravan with a 3.3
    Sounds alot like a bent rod contacting the block or something, except it was not constant. Again it was at idle and certain unloading conditions never during acceleration, until they got too loose then it was any rpm and free spinning but not accelerating.

At least that you can check when you have starter out (1 bolt at a time).
    My caravan happened about a year after garage swapped a motor for me. They never put loctite on the threads. All the bolts were loose, but I didn't loose any.

This flex plate is held to the crank flange as well as the outer edge of the torque converter. You can access the t/ converter bolts, but not the crank flange without at least, partially removing the transmission! as I mentioned earlier, if there is a crack at the crank flange it will in most cases, leave a rust stain down from it.

eldoradoin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Eldorado/Slate (R.I.P.) 1997 STS (current)

Quote Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic View Post
    Have you checked the Harmonic Damper? It's common, esp. at your mileage. Pull the LH front wheel and liner to expose it and look for defunct elastomer between the hub and pulley. If you can just look down at it and see anything or it wobbles you've found it already.

Vernon
    You know what? You're probably on to something. I'm going to check tomorrow. I was looking at the wrong side of the motor and my symptoms sound like something up that alley. Thanks!

I had a brand new flexplate put in about a year ago.

When I said the flexplate "centered out".. was something like this
    http://jaguar.professional.org/snaps...late_out_2.jpg

Thank you!

Okay guys, here's the final verdict. Brand new flexplate, sheared and centered. I was told because the harmonic balancer was bad, the vibration travels through the motor, and and onto flexplate/tranny. Checking BOTH sides of the motor doesn't hurt. Lesson learned on this end.

daveyhouse is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 98 deville D'Elegance 86 Fiero 2m4 / 86 Fiero GT W/SBC

Thanks for the update.
    It's sucks that a bad part at one end ruined a new part at the other.
    Now I am wondering if I should change my son's while the motor is out.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyhouse View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    It's sucks that a bad part at one end ruined a new part at the other.
    Now I am wondering if I should change my son's while the motor is out.
    It wouldn't hurt taking a look-see around, once the cradle is dropped.

edit: daveyhouse - I see you're in PA. Definitely check the flexplate. I grew up in Pittsburgh and that salt will find its way up through the bottom inspection port.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Man that's rough, sounds like another Northstar hard knock lesson. Ha, sorry no pun intended. Thanks for the update as I've never seen that happen before but now I know to at least look for it when I see one or the other. My uncle gave me my DeVille with 130K on it about a year ago, mainly because it would be very hard to sell with the issues it had. One of the first things I noticed was the harmonic damper was wobbling. The elastomer was still intact and the hub to ring bond was strong but for some reason it had become slightly crooked therefore spun in a uneven way. Seeing that this engine was shifting at 6200 made me even more scared of it coming apart and doing damage. So I soon picked up a good one at a salvage yard and installed it with a new bolt. I also make sure the weight of the engine never rests on the dampener during servicing, you can never be too careful with these things. Very complex, delicate, and hard to service. If they didn't work so well when they are working we'd be scrapping them quick.

Vernon

Well Manic, when the N*'s are on.. they are ON. My motor doesn't have tick one, and there are 214K miles on it. I believe that my downfall was when I started servicing it myself. Good luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.