Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  POSPat 
#1 ·
I just bought a 93 STS and it had the Service Engine Soon light on with stalling and missing at WOT. After reading these forums I found that I had a code P083 which indicated that I had a bad crank position sensor. I want to replace them but have no idea where to find them for purchase and on the engine. Are these difficult to replace? I'm doing a full tuneup next week and want to do them at the same time. Thanx in advance :cookoo:

#2 ·
POSPat said:
I just bought a 93 STS and it had the Service Engine Soon light on with stalling and missing at WOT. After reading these forums I found that I had a code P083 which indicated that I had a bad crank position sensor. I want to replace them but have no idea where to find them for purchase and on the engine. Are these difficult to replace? I'm doing a full tuneup next week and want to do them at the same time. Thanx in advance :cookoo:

The crank sensors are on the side of the block low on the left side (front side) of the engine. If you get under the car and look above the oil filter you will see the two crank sensors mounted in the side of the block. They are easier to access if you remove the plastic blockout panel between the radiator support and the engine cradle under the car. Then you can reach above the engine cradle from the front of the car to remove the sensors. A single bolt holds each sensor. Nothing to adjust or anything...just R&R the sensors. They are not a generic auto part...you'll have to purchase them at a Cadillac dealer.

The critical item on a 93 is to replace the coolant frequently so as to maintain the corrosion inhibitors in the system. Drain the system and install fresh 50/50 coolant/distilled water. Install the GM coolant supplement pellets into one of the radiator hoses when the system is drained. Use the conventional, green silicated coolant. Lots in the archives on this...search using "coolant supplement" for more info on it.

When servicing the cooling system make sure the water pump drive belt (at the rear of the engine) is in good shape and that the small belt tensioner for the water pump drive is free to pivot and operating correctly.

A normal "tuneup" item on a 93/94 is to remove the intake manifold and clean the EGR passages in the phenolic spacer plates between the intake and the cylinder head. Search using "phenolic spacer plates" and read my posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.