93 STS Crank Position Sensors
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 93 STS Crank Position Sensors in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just bought a 93 STS and it had the Service Engine Soon light on with stalling and missing at ...
    POSPat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 Escalade 98 Deville 93 STS

Arrow 93 STS Crank Position Sensors

I just bought a 93 STS and it had the Service Engine Soon light on with stalling and missing at WOT. After reading these forums I found that I had a code P083 which indicated that I had a bad crank position sensor. I want to replace them but have no idea where to find them for purchase and on the engine. Are these difficult to replace? I'm doing a full tuneup next week and want to do them at the same time. Thanx in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: 93 STS Crank Position Sensors

Quote Originally Posted by POSPat
    I just bought a 93 STS and it had the Service Engine Soon light on with stalling and missing at WOT. After reading these forums I found that I had a code P083 which indicated that I had a bad crank position sensor. I want to replace them but have no idea where to find them for purchase and on the engine. Are these difficult to replace? I'm doing a full tuneup next week and want to do them at the same time. Thanx in advance

The crank sensors are on the side of the block low on the left side (front side) of the engine. If you get under the car and look above the oil filter you will see the two crank sensors mounted in the side of the block. They are easier to access if you remove the plastic blockout panel between the radiator support and the engine cradle under the car. Then you can reach above the engine cradle from the front of the car to remove the sensors. A single bolt holds each sensor. Nothing to adjust or anything...just R&R the sensors. They are not a generic auto part...you'll have to purchase them at a Cadillac dealer.

The critical item on a 93 is to replace the coolant frequently so as to maintain the corrosion inhibitors in the system. Drain the system and install fresh 50/50 coolant/distilled water. Install the GM coolant supplement pellets into one of the radiator hoses when the system is drained. Use the conventional, green silicated coolant. Lots in the archives on this...search using "coolant supplement" for more info on it.

When servicing the cooling system make sure the water pump drive belt (at the rear of the engine) is in good shape and that the small belt tensioner for the water pump drive is free to pivot and operating correctly.

A normal "tuneup" item on a 93/94 is to remove the intake manifold and clean the EGR passages in the phenolic spacer plates between the intake and the cylinder head. Search using "phenolic spacer plates" and read my posts.

POSPat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 Escalade 98 Deville 93 STS

Re: 93 STS Crank Position Sensors

Thanks Bob! Your rep preceeds you I'm going to get the parts monday.. I'll keep you posted on the outcome! :coolgleam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.