Timing chain issue, not lining up? stretched chain possibly?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Timing chain issue, not lining up? stretched chain possibly? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Nearing the end of my 2000 Deville Headgasket job. Car has 84kmi. The RH bank cams just dont seem to ...
    devill.dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville

Timing chain issue, not lining up? stretched chain possibly?

Nearing the end of my 2000 Deville Headgasket job. Car has 84kmi.
    The RH bank cams just dont seem to be right at 12 0'clock but just a tad off center(midway between 11-12). The chain also has some slack in it on the topside(non-adjuster side) between the intake cam and the idler sprocket.
    I tried moving chain over on idler sprocket one tooth to attempt to take up slack and the cam marks fall at 1 0'clock so that clearly isn't right. I tried moving the cam sprcoekt over one tooth to correct but then I end up with the same situation as before. There's clearly slack in the chain.

Anyone ever come accross or know if it's typical for there to be some slack on the opposite sid of the tensioner? The LH side is perfect and taught on bith sides.

I was thinking I may have a stretched chain
    Everything is in great shape. Hardly any wear on the guides and zero wear on sprocket teeth.

I bolted things up, but think I'm gonna take the balancer back off and go through it again to be sure. I would appreciate some input. This is a tedious job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

Re: Timing chain issue, not lining up? stretched chain possibly?

I remember when I did mine, the side opposite the tensioner needs to be tight. Did you lock you cams or mark anything before you removed the chains? It sounds to me that if the right bank is between 11 to 12 o clock with slack in the leading edge of the chain, then with the slack out of the chain it will be more like 11 o clock (one tooth off). I would try advancing the cams just a hair and try to get the sprockets on with no slack on the leading side of the chain.

Thanks for the response.
    I pulled the heads with the cams in 12 position or so I thought. I marked cam gears and chain with paint because I didn't plan on removing front cover to save some time and a $45 gasket.
    Timing grooves were perfectly aligned when I removed front cover. LH cam chain side is perfect.
    I did try to advance the RH cams and pretty sure they ended up at 1 0'clock, but I'll pull the cover again and double check. The Exhaust cam wants to spring forward on me and it's a PIA.
    I'll post back later with my results.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Double check that the sprockets are on correctly and that the tensioners are unpinned. The "pull" side of each chain should be pretty tight with little slack and all 4 sprocket marks at exactly - no fudging - 12 o'clock.

Thanks guys. I actually bought the newer revised Dealer Service Manual 3-book set. Picked them up online for $55shipped. They appear to never have been used. Too good of a buy to pass up.

Pulled everything back off and started over. Looks like I was one tooth off the idler pulley. Once I got everything all set, I used a wrench to relieve cam pressure CCW until the tensioner clicked. Everything is snug and tight as it should be. Glad I took it back apart or else it woulda sounded like, well, a loose chain inside there...haha prob woulda been missing and running very choppy as well.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Choppy ???? The Northstar is an interference engine: one or two cam sprocket teeth off and the thing starts eating valves. Those piston crown valve reliefs are there for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Choppy ???? The Northstar is an interference engine: one or two cam sprocket teeth off and the thing starts eating valves. Those piston crown valve reliefs are there for good reason.
    It's a 2000 Deville with flat tops. 10:1 compression ratio. I believe the 99's prior had the reliefs with 10:3 ratio.
    I don't even think the 2000 DTS even had reliefs, just a higher profile grind in the intake.
    Eitherway, the flattops would still be at the same height as the reliefs, so if valve would hit the bottom of the reliefs they would hit the flat tops.
    I didnt rotate the engine but maybe 45* to see if alignment was good. No binding, but I know that isnt enough.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.