need a new motor!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, need a new motor! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Where can I buy a new/used northstar for my 2001 Cadillac dts VIN 9 for a fair price with low ...
    cadillac00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 cadillac dts, 2006 cadillac dts

need a new motor!

Where can I buy a new/used northstar for my 2001 Cadillac dts VIN 9 for a fair price with low mileage I really need it asap my HG has failed. I live in st.louis if that's any help but if they can ship that's great. I looked on Ebay but it's all junk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: need a new motor!

Why not fix the one you have? A used motor is a roll of the dice. You may suffer another HG failure in the future.

It costs more to rebuild the motor then it does to just get a used one

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

A used one will be a little less, but you don't know the history per se' of that motor and all you're doing is setting yourself up for another headgasket failure.

It's your call.......

beebop01 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): deville

contact me I am located in Indianapolis, IN I have a overhaul/ repair ad on EBAY

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

are you going to remove motor or pay someone to do it? you drop subframe and remove motor from assy. swap in different motor. and now you need to get rid of old motor. or pull heads and install serts or studs. so you need sert kit or whatever. this all takes time. might take several days. does shop want to tie up bay for 2-3 days? most say fixing motor is way to go since you dont end up with core parts. most used motors have accessories attached. p/s, alt, a/c and so on.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

This thread is full of fail...

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

It costs more to rebuild the motor then it does to just get a used one

that may be true - but
    what happens if the "new" motor develops the head gasket problem
    500 miles after having it installed -

if you get a "guarantee" on the used motor -
    the supplier might send you another motor -
    but you still have to pay to have the engines swapped - again -

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

"fail" as in lots of money? Buy a remaned motor and have it installed. Pretty good odds of success. Properly repair existing block? Also good odds. Use car-parts.com to find motors in ur area. All yards I know use it to find parts. I do too. It lists remaned and used motors.

What I was thinking about doing is rebuilding my motor and getting it studded. Anyone know of any good stud kits? And is this a good idea

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Studs and/or proper inserts are absolutely necessary to repair/strengthen all 20 cylinder block head bolt holes. Never try to use the old bolts and existing hole threads when doing a top overhaul on a Northstar.

Either talk to Tim Carroll at www.carrollcustomcadillac.com

or take a look at the NS300L inserts from www.huhnsolutions.com - they can be used with either a new set of GM head bolts or a set of ARP studs. www.arp-bolts.com

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

No need to "rebuild" the motor. All it needs is inserts or studs and new HG's.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

In studs vs. inserts w/bolts the main difference is that inserts can be installed with the engine in the car. To install the rear head over studs the engine needs to be removed. One way is a lot of work the other is a lot of work to the forth power.

Vernon

Is there a difference between studs and inserts?

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Yes, big difference in the technique to install the heads with the two choices with some difference in effectiveness.

Inserts repair the hole with a over-sized threaded steel sleeve so that you can set the head back on and then run new factory style bolts down through the head bolt holes in the now positioned head and thread them tight into the sleeves that are threaded into the block themselves. Just like before with repaired bolt holes in the block to hold the bolts.

Studs are like long bolts but with threads on both ends and no head. The bottom end threads into a new over-sized hole in the block with enough bolt end sticking above the surface to slide the heads straight down over them while they stick up. When the head is all the way down on the studs a little bit of each stud is sticking out of the bolt holes of the head, this is where you install a washer and nut onto it and tighten it down to clamp the head down to the engine.

The big difference is that when the engine is in the car the back head sits close to the windshield and firewall. You can fit the head in there and then run bolts down through the holes but you can't put studs in the block and then fit the head over them and then down. The head will hit the car before the holes line up with the top of the studs, so the engine has to be out for studs so there's room to slide the head down over them on the back side.

So why studs? They are actually a stronger clamp device and the tensile strain is spread better, also the threads in the block don't have to be loaded and twisted at the same time. Strongest, most durable, and accurate head clamping repair. Many of these engines have oil leaks down low that require engine removal to address so they get pulled for a reseal at the same time making studding an attractive option.

So why bolts? They work fine for all but the most aggressive driver who needs all the strength possible (like me, I tear stuff up). A properly inserted and bolted head seal is stronger than it was new. You can drill out the block and install the inserts with the block still in the car meaning only the upper engine components have to be removed for the repair. Fine if there's no oil leaks or you can't deal with them anyway. On this car that saves a lot of work and time and leaves the car on wheels while the engine is apart. Less labor time when you're paying a bill for the work.

Vernon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.