Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ellives 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have noticed that my ATF is a light brown color and wanted to channge it. I called my local PeP Boys to set up an appointment and the guy wouldnt let me do it! He said that light brown atf indicates that my gears are burning up and that changing the fluid is going to worsen the problem, he said within 30 days ill need a new trans. He told me that my best bet is to ride it until it goes. Does this sound like good advice to anyone? :hmm:

#2 ·
shizzyraw585 said:
Hey guys, I have noticed that my ATF is a light brown color and wanted to channge it. I called my local PeP Boys to set up an appointment and the guy wouldnt let me do it! He said that light brown atf indicates that my gears are burning up and that changing the fluid is going to worsen the problem, he said within 30 days ill need a new trans. He told me that my best bet is to ride it until it goes. Does this sound like good advice to anyone? :hmm:

Why the dual post???

Same answer as above....

Uh...NO....it is not good advice.

That is what you get for calling Pep Boys......LOL.

What they told you is complete bull shit.

New fluid never hurt anything.

The fluid will start to darken a little over time with miles and heat. That is somewhat normal. The real question is how does it smell?? If the fluid is acrid/burnt smelling then it is ready for a change and it might mean that something is failing in the trans. If it is nice and oily smelling it is probably fine.

Just ignore Pep Boys and change the fluid, clean out the pan and clean the pickup screens. In the case of the 4T80E remember/remind them to drain the side cover oil also when the lower pan is off. There is a hidden bolt that acts as a drain plug for the side cover oil storage area that is accessible once the lower pan is off.

Do NOT be talked into a trans "flush"...just drain the oil and replace with fresh.

#3 ·
they guy at pepboys wasnt totaly full of bs. it was a mixture of its a possobilty that it could screw your trans and coverin his butt. in high mileage auto trans the clutch matterial falls apart and is actualy in the atf. so changin the fluid screws the trans. thats all the guy at pep boys was worried about. but i agree that if it smells burnt and your trans has high miles on it leave it be, but if its light brown and dosent smeel burnt, change it. and also i agree NO FLUSH just drain and filter.

#4 ·
jonboy125 said:
....in high mileage auto trans the clutch material falls apart and is actually in the atf. so changin the fluid screws the trans.....
Having any material circulate, other than clean transmission fluid, is not of any benefit to your transmission. if anything it is likely to contribute to valve body sticking and small orifices getting plugged.

Putting in fresh fluid helps get back the proper coefficiency of friction, for the transmission clutches to grip and release properly.

Where did you get information that old fluid is best left in high mileage transmissions?

-George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.