1998 Eldorado failed HG
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kenny2428
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 1998 Eldorado failed HG in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have '98 Eldorado, my dad drove it for about 3 years and it started losing coolant, then eventually would ...
  1. #1
    Kenny2428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5

    1998 Eldorado failed HG

    I have '98 Eldorado, my dad drove it for about 3 years and it started losing coolant, then eventually would overheat on trips over 25 miles or so. We had our mechanic look at it, couldn't find any leaks, did a block test and that confirmed it. He said he won't work on Northstars, so I found someone locally who will. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/3376778738.html

    What do you guys think? I really like this car and would like to keep it, hopefully this is a fair deal.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    CadillacLuke24's Avatar
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,914

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    The best thing you can do is talk to previous customers. Looks like he has a lot of experience. How does he repair it? Serts or Studs?

    As far as the price, that is very reasonable. Right in the ballpark of what other Northstar Mechanics (Northstarperformance.com, Carroll Custom Cadillac) charge.

    If he looks good, then go for it!

    Good luck. Always cool to see someone who appreciates a Northstar Cadillac . to the forums!

  4. #3
    Kenny2428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Thanks. Looking forward to getting a "refreshed" engine in this car along with a few other odds and ends. Car has 196K on it.

  5. #4
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mpls mn
    Posts
    2,509

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Did dad give u good price? Like free? Adding 1800 for repair is still reasonable. But u are at 200k miles. How is trans doing? No suspension codes? U would think the car would start to get rough around the edges. Maybe worn seats or bumper scrapes or whatever. High miles takes its toll eventually.

  6. #5
    Kenny2428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Did dad give u good price? Like free? Adding 1800 for repair is still reasonable. But u are at 200k miles. How is trans doing? No suspension codes? U would think the car would start to get rough around the edges. Maybe worn seats or bumper scrapes or whatever. High miles takes its toll eventually.
    We basically came to an agreement that if I get it repaired, it's mine. The transmission is fine, shifts very smoothly. The car is a little rough, but overall not too bad for it's age and the amount of miles it has. The paint on the roof of the car is a little faded, has some scratches on the body. The hood was recently repainted, due to a big tree branch falling on it during a storm. There is a suspension code that does pop up every now and then, can't remember exactly what is says though. I think it's for the compressor. The rear end does squeak a bit. IMG_0116.JPG

  7. #6
    vincentm's Avatar
    vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kennewick WA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    4,744
    Replace TCC solenoids while the engine is out, save you time $$$ in the future

  8. #7
    CadillacLuke24's Avatar
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,914

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    If properly cared for, these cars will go for a LONG time. A guy in the Northstar thread has nearly 600,000 on his factory Northstar.

  9. #8
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mpls mn
    Posts
    2,509

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    car might be worth 600 as is. do you want to drive it? an older boxy sedan/coupe? or do you want a different style car? you seem to be leaning toward this 1800 number. what else can you buy for the same money? are the tires good on car? do you have to spend any more money besides motor repair? this repair is only going to fix coolant leak. it is not going to make motor run better. its not an overhaul. its still a 15yr old car. it has squeaks and rattles and is starting to ride a little soft. could probably use new struts. texas is dry but brake lines do rust and so on. it has original fuel pump? they like to fail at the 10yr mark.

  10. #9
    Kenny2428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    car might be worth 600 as is. do you want to drive it? an older boxy sedan/coupe? or do you want a different style car? you seem to be leaning toward this 1800 number. what else can you buy for the same money? are the tires good on car? do you have to spend any more money besides motor repair? this repair is only going to fix coolant leak. it is not going to make motor run better. its not an overhaul. its still a 15yr old car. it has squeaks and rattles and is starting to ride a little soft. could probably use new struts. texas is dry but brake lines do rust and so on. it has original fuel pump? they like to fail at the 10yr mark.
    Yes, I want to drive it. I like the styling of the car. For 1800 the top end gets rebuilt, rebuilt heads also. Car runs fine even with the bad head gasket. The tires were replaced about a year ago so they are ok. I am willing to put money into this car, would like to keep it for awhile.

  11. #10
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mpls mn
    Posts
    2,509

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    I have replaced everything on my car. Head gaskets, trans, radiator, a/c system, fuel pump, tires, brakes. Jeez, is there anything else? Original struts though. Whew. So he tears down heads? Checks valve stem and guides for wear? Changes stem seals? Does valve job? Measures springs for proper strength? Inspects lash caps for wear and replaces if necessary? Inspects 4 cams and replaces if necessary? Cool.

  12. #11
    Kenny2428 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Eldorado
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5
    Thread Starter

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    I have replaced everything on my car. Head gaskets, trans, radiator, a/c system, fuel pump, tires, brakes. Jeez, is there anything else? Original struts though. Whew. So he tears down heads? Checks valve stem and guides for wear? Changes stem seals? Does valve job? Measures springs for proper strength? Inspects lash caps for wear and replaces if necessary? Inspects 4 cams and replaces if necessary? Cool.
    He told me he rebuilds the top end, and rebuilds the heads. So yes I am sure checking the valve stems and guides, and a valve job is included, etc since he does indeed rebuild the heads. I forgot to add that the breaks have been rebuilt in the past year, radiator has been replaced, coil packs, water pump, and AC compressor. Will definitely need some suspension work, but getting the engine fixed is number one priority right now. Just have to set up a appointment with the mechanic!

  13. #12
    CadillacLuke24's Avatar
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Middle of Nowhere
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,914

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny2428 View Post
    Yes, I want to drive it. I like the styling of the car. For 1800 the top end gets rebuilt, rebuilt heads also. Car runs fine even with the bad head gasket. The tires were replaced about a year ago so they are ok. I am willing to put money into this car, would like to keep it for awhile.
    You just answered your own question. There is one opinion and one opinion ONLY that matters in this regard, and that's yours. If you want to, then who's stoppin' ya? GO FOR IT!!

  14. #13
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mpls mn
    Posts
    2,509

    Re: 1998 Eldorado failed HG

    This guy removes motor, rebuilds heads, does case half reseal for 1800? Go for it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting