NO oil war just info on dexos,please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, NO oil war just info on dexos,please in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; hello everyone, i've been reading about GM's and dexos1,does anyone know if its good/bad/indifferent for a N* ? just trying ...
    eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

NO oil war just info on dexos,please

hello everyone, i've been reading about GM's and dexos1,does anyone know if its good/bad/indifferent for a N* ?
    just trying to increase my knowledge.... thanks Ed....if there is an old thread, please direct me

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: NO oil war just info on dexos,please

DEXOS is a GM oil/additive formulation spec that conforms to GM's latest thinking on engine lubrication coupled with compliance with the latest reduced numbers for EPA oil additive regulations. It carries a SN API rating and could be used in any 2010 (??) or later engine.

Your engine was built during the time of API SJ oil service designation, so you would be wise to do some homework and try to conform to that additive package in order to protect your flat-tappet cam setup to the max.

http://www.api.org/certifications/en...010_120210.pdf

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

Any engine I own that uses flat tappet lifters in the valve train like the early Northstar has gets oil that still has some Zinc in it. It protects the metal to metal wear points from galling. Any of the current oil that has the star seal that says "for gasoline engines" is very low zinc. The oils that still have a lot of zinc are labeled as "racing" or for Diesel engines or off road use like John Deere oil etc. I've had to replace a few LS V8 cams and lifters already due to the crappy oil in widespread use nowadays. Zinc when burned off in consumed oil can eventually coat catalytic convertors reducing their efficiency or killing them. But I would much rather replace a convertor every 10 years than an engine anytime.

Vernon

Read up on API oil specifications and learn why the below quips..............

The EPA loves you ....the EPA says nothing ... the EPA hates your guts

eldoedwardo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado coupe

hello, are you saying I should use diesel oil because of the higher zinc content?

No, I am not saying "use diesel oil" - I am saying "Check out the HD or Long Life conventional multigrade (10W-30) oils because they are formulated with the anti-wear/anti-scuff additive package that was recommended for your 1999 engine." Your API spec was SJ. Google it.

The old wives' tale that HD oils are exclusively "diesel oils" is patently false. For grins and kicks, get into the SOPUS (Shell Oil Products U.S.)(Pennzoil, Shell, Quaker State) and get to products, heavy duty, truck, and find the spec sheet for Pennzoil LongLife oils - 10W-30. We run tons of the stuff in a 15W-40 grade in all our GM 454 and Olds 455 marine gasoline engines. No tappet or cam wear - none, and the additive package will NOT affect catalytic converters from the mid 1990's through 2004.

If you want the cat's meow, contact Brad (C66Racing), our resident AMSOIL vendor - he can recommend oils for you or get into www.joegibbsdriven.com and look at their various oil formulations - products, street engines.

Your engine, and to some extent, mine - were not designed for the oils mandated by the EPA for today's emissions specifications. Your API spec was SJ, mine was SL - and neither has the reduced additive packages of today's SM and SN oils. I can get away with SN oils because of the roller cam followers - you have flat tappet followers and they need all the anti-scuff protection they can get.

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Good info from both manic and sub.

Here is a flat tappet cam from a 82 vette that ran Mobile1:

We usually upgrade to a roller on classics going to be driven, but this one they want as original as possible so Brad Penn going intop it.

I also agree that a good Amsoil rep can match the best oil for your engine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.