Engine parts cleaning during overhaul - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Engine parts cleaning during overhaul in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Originally Posted by dkozloski I start an engine project by going to the local DIY car wash, covering the electrical ...
    the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Re: Engine parts cleaning during overhaul

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    I start an engine project by going to the local DIY car wash, covering the electrical stuff with tape and plastic bags, and washing down everything before I start with the pressure washer.
    We used to tow the chassis down to the car wash after the engine was removed...

The rear seal is an easy remove, drill a hole in the outer edges and put a nail or nail set in it and pry, just don't nick the crank mating faces...

As far as cleaning the block, I just use a little gas with a parts washer brush along with a catch basin at the bottom...either that or mineral spirits. follow that up with a can of carb cleaner and you can get the thing gleaming...

My motor looked just as bad if not worse...

But after cleaning method described above...look at the block sides...

After it was reassembled:

Mind you, I didn't do a complete tear down, but you get the idea...

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    I didn't "imply" anything - I stated a fact.

A bit of fly in the ointment - get into the ARP website and read their theory on "torque to yield" head bolts vs. studs or bolts that are stressed (torqued) to 75% - 90% of their yield strength and what that difference means in retained clamping pressure.

Even in that gasket picture, do you see any evidence that coolant migrated from a bolt hole to a cylinder ??? My opinion is that the open deck design coupled with a bolt that was initially torqued past its maximum clamping ability (torque to yield) is the culprit in most northstar head gasket failure. NO engine is immune to head (or any) gasket failure - but not at the rate that seems to plague the 1996 - 1999 Northstar.

Think rubber band - a bigass rubber band stretched 75% will hold a LOT longer than a thinner one stretched to 110% ("stretch to yield").
    Interesting, and worthy hypothesis but are the 1993-95 torqued differently? IIRC, the headbolts are torqued at the factory by a machine all at the same time, so unless the metallurgy is inconsistent--what would cause a bolt to be torqued past it's prime?
    • From looking at the failed headgaskets with torn up material over the water jackets... and seeing some of these close-up photos depicting the nice metal rings around the cylinders, it looks like the 4 rings are siamesed, but the metal does not continue throughout the gasket. The rings are floating, held in place by the gasket material. There aren't any bolts holding the rings down, except the 10 headbolts on the gasket perimeter.
    • I recall AJ and perhaps others mentioning the head gaskets "bunching up" from the thermal cycling and combustion. I think it was yet another observation, that just looked too conspicuous to pass.
    That said, IF, the headgasket materials around these metal firing rings corrode, disintegrate, or tears, or "bunches up," or get structurally compromised in any way (OAT vs. silicone rubber or nylon 6,6)... those rings would no longer be guaranteed to stay in place... would they? They could slide around and eventually the combustion gases could find their way into the coolant (and viceversa) as the seal is lost. This would be an occasion the torque to yield would be important as then it's up to Lady Luck. That's why a multi-layer solid sheet of stainless steel with cylinder cut-outs, coated with viton seems like a "safer bet," as the cut-out rings in the mls sheets wouldn't move around once fastened down.

Any thoughts on this observation? Depending on the metallurgy, wouldn't studs yield as well? IIRC isn't there a revised set of head bolt installation that involves turning them specific degrees (yield vs torque)?

Quote Originally Posted by the recluse View Post
    We used to tow the chassis down to the car wash after the engine was removed...

The rear seal is an easy remove, drill a hole in the outer edges and put a nail or nail set in it and pry, just don't nick the crank mating faces...

As far as cleaning the block, I just use a little gas with a parts washer brush along with a catch basin at the bottom...either that or mineral spirits. follow that up with a can of carb cleaner and you can get the thing gleaming...

My motor looked just as bad if not worse...

But after cleaning method described above...look at the block sides...

After it was reassembled:

Mind you, I didn't do a complete tear down, but you get the idea...
    Nice job, the recluse. That is a clean looking engine. Are the cam covers painted creamy or pearly white?

the recluse is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 STS, 1991 Eldorado

Cummings beige, believe it or not...

Motor finished:

Wow!

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

That's amazing, one heck of a clean looking engine. Wish I had a lift, things would've gone so much easier.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    How goes the slaying of the Northstar Beast?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mtflight View Post
    Depending on the metallurgy, wouldn't studs yield as well? IIRC isn't there a revised set of head bolt installation that involves turning them specific degrees (yield vs torque)?
    Studs DO NOT "yield". GM Northstar head bolts do. Studs can be reused many times, GM Northstar head bolts cannot.

Studs are seated finger tight in the block and the head bolt hardened washers and nuts are torqued to a specific lb/ft specification. GM Northstar head bolts are torqued to a small initial figure to establish a starting base, then twisted an additional XXX degrees to pull the shank of the bolt to its yield - "rubber band stretch" - point.

You install studs, you torque the nuts to a specific torque in 3 passes. Install BigSerts or NS300L Inserts and ARP studs, you torque the stud nuts to a specific figure in 3 passes. You install BigSerts or NS300L inserts and use GM Northstar head bolts, you torque to initial spec + the extra XXX degrees for bolt stretch.

Why do I specify "GM Northstar head bolts" as such ? Because they are torque to yield pieces and are useless after removal. GM Oldsmobile 455 head bolts are huge affairs and can be reused forever.

Grab a pretty good-sized rubber band. Hold it so as to remove all droop, no tension ........ now pull it to some length. Notice how the rubber band itself becomes smaller in width ??? THAT'S what happens to a GM Northstar head bolt - except the head bolt will never return to it's original shape - it's like a rubber band that has been left wrapped around the box too long. Useless.

As an aside, the entire "twist to yield" procedure may be partially responsible for head gasket failures - the very statement "Torque to yield" or "Twist to yield" implies that there is no "spring" left in the bolt(s). A tiny something goes wrong and the bolts cannot maintain clamping pressure. Tim Carroll's studs, Jake's studs, and Norm's Inserts with ARP studs will NEVER lose clamping pressure.
    mtflight and mtflight like this.

98eldo32v is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Castrol Super Clean and a pressure washer are your friends. Trust them......

Well, visually telling, the #1 cylinder was the problem. Every other cylinders looked normal with carbon buildup and no coolant in it, but #1 is pretty washed away. The gasket looks far much better than what I had in my Seville, either. If you're looking at the #1 cylinder, you can see some carbon buildup going past the fire ring, indicating the possible source of the combustion gas in the cooling system.

Bank 1

Carbon track near cylinder #1

Bank 2

Bank 1 gasket

Fire ring for cylinder #1

Bank #1 head

Bank #2 head

Ironically, the two northstars that I've removed heads off of, the number one cylinder has usually been the culprit.....

Weird, after reading that I looked at the pictures of my first head gasket repair again - and found that it was indeed the #1 cylinder that had the most amount of coolant in it with the carbon buildup looking pretty different than others.

There is something going on in that cylinder in this motor.......

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Well, the blower motor for the heater is on the passenger side of the car, no? Perhaps that extra heat wreaks havoc on the #1 cylinder in cars that blow their HGs.

Just a thought.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Well, the blower motor for the heater is on the passenger side of the car, no? Perhaps that extra heat wreaks havoc on the #1 cylinder in cars that blow their HGs. Just a thought.
    Wut ???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.