Transmission Q? What would you do.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Transmission Q? What would you do. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Ok the transmission in my 95 STS went out on me. It will not move in reverse at all and ...
    gizmo200118 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Transmission Q? What would you do.

Ok the transmission in my 95 STS went out on me. It will not move in reverse at all and it will barley move in drive. So i was pricing transmissions lately and the this is what i found. The best deal I found on a new one is a little under $3,000 installed. That comes with a 3 year 50,000 miles parts and labor warranty. The problem is that I only have 1100 saved up right now and it will take me over 3 months to come up with the rest. Money is tight right now thanks to the holidays and rent and insurance and the car payment for my stupid expensive yard ordainment. (my STS) I also found a junk yard transmission for 750 + 50 Core and about 500 to install = 1300 I can have that by next month. But it has 90,000 miles on it right now and the one that is in my car now only has a little under 93,000.

I guess what I am trying to say is should i gamble on the junk yard transmission or go with out a car for another 3 months It has been sitting for about 2 right now. It is starting to make me made that i am paying for a car that I can't drive. Will never make payments on a car that doesn't have a warranty to last the whole length of the loan again. I think i might unload this car as soon as it is payed off it has been nothing but problems for me. I love the car but it is a money pit. With all the cash i have to throw at it I could have had it payed off already. Well that is the end of my rant I think i might go for the junker just so i can drive the damn thing again!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Re: Transmission Q? What would you do.

I went through the same with my 94 STS w/spun bearings...ended up w/ a wrecking yard engine...put it in myself...pain in the ass to do, but it drives now...am still thinking I want to get rid of it, with lots of little things going wrong too...its up to you...if you want to keep the thing for a while, go with the new one, if you're going to trade it in, get the cheaper one... ...good luck!

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo200118
    Ok the transmission in my 95 STS went out on me. It will not move in reverse at all and it will barley move in drive. So i was pricing transmissions lately and the this is what i found. The best deal I found on a new one is a little under $3,000 installed. That comes with a 3 year 50,000 miles parts and labor warranty. The problem is that I only have 1100 saved up right now and it will take me over 3 months to come up with the rest. Money is tight right now thanks to the holidays and rent and insurance and the car payment for my stupid expensive yard ordainment. (my STS) I also found a junk yard transmission for 750 + 50 Core and about 500 to install = 1300 I can have that by next month. But it has 90,000 miles on it right now and the one that is in my car now only has a little under 93,000.

I guess what I am trying to say is should i gamble on the junk yard transmission or go with out a car for another 3 months It has been sitting for about 2 right now. It is starting to make me made that i am paying for a car that I can't drive. Will never make payments on a car that doesn't have a warranty to last the whole length of the loan again. I think i might unload this car as soon as it is payed off it has been nothing but problems for me. I love the car but it is a money pit. With all the cash i have to throw at it I could have had it payed off already. Well that is the end of my rant I think i might go for the junker just so i can drive the damn thing again!!!

Have you gone to a transmission place to get a diagnosis? All you've given us here are the symptoms....

Ells

gizmo200118 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I didn't get a diagnosis from a transmission place. But when I dropped the pan to put in the new solenoids the pan was full of metal shavings. I don't think the car will make it to a transmission place now. Pulse I don't know where one is around here.

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I was checking the classified section of this forum, and saw a trans for sale. Check with the seller if he still has it. I believe it was new, and was $1.000.

Don

sts96 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Paid 350.00 for used tranny with 6 mos. warranty put it in myself. try WWW/ car-parts.com. lol sts96

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.