Northstar - any thoughts or advice ????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By codewize
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Northstar - any thoughts or advice ???? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hello all, Can anyone give me the lowdown on the northstar? I have heard both sides, but looking for more ...
    joanscar is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Northstar - any thoughts or advice ????

Hello all,
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on the northstar? I have heard both sides, but looking for more info. I am looking at a 1998 deville.
    THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Northstar

everything you could possibly want to know
    about the Northstar motor can be found here:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...al-discussion/

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado
    i have a 97 basic deville with a N* V8, i have had the car for 15 months now. i bought it with 103,000 miles on it. the car itself has been excellent, great ride. i did all the basic maintence stuff when u got it. the only major problem i have had is the water system. the water pump went out, changed, the radiator started leaking...changed...then at the beginning of the past summer it major overheated...i had to tighten all the hoses....and that is it,,,the best thing is, the car will tell u what is wrong with it by codes...best car i have ever bought!!!!!!

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

98 is what I have. I got it with no knowledge of the N*'s issues. The guy that sold it to me thought it had a blown head gasket which he did not tell me about. It turns out it had a leaking water pump and a rusted out metal crossover pipe that goes behind the engine. Water pump cost me $300 to have done and I bypassed the metal pipe for $40. I have put around 20k miles on it with no real issues beyond what I initially did. I did replace all 4 wheels due to air leaking out from rusted beads (common issue), all 4 rotors and pads, a new battery, and the drivers door window motor. It is my daily driver at this point.

Major Design Flaws/PITAs:
    Coolant parts that you can't get to without removing the engine
    oil fill hole directly above alternator - any spilled oil can cause the alternator to prematurely fail
    generally hard to do anything on the engine due to access issues

You should not pay more than $1500 for it unless it is showroom condition and then maybe $2k.

Slipgate is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by blalockchiro View Post
    i have a 97 basic deville with a N* V8, i have had the car for 15 months now. i bought it with 103,000 miles on it. the car itself has been excellent, great ride. i did all the basic maintence stuff when u got it. the only major problem i have had is the water system. the water pump went out, changed, the radiator started leaking...changed...then at the beginning of the past summer it major overheated...i had to tighten all the hoses....and that is it,,,the best thing is, the car will tell u what is wrong with it by codes...best car i have ever bought!!!!!!
    Hey are you a Blalock? I am related to some Blalocks that hail from AL/FL area.

blalockchiro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville, 89 Camaro, 07 Silverado

slip, i sent you a PM

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Re: Northstar - any thoughts or advice ????

Quote Originally Posted by blalockchiro View Post
    Just as a warning.....often...the reason things start failing in the cooling system is because it's being over pressurized by a leaking HG......
    sounds like a slow leak......

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Someone here once said, and if I could remember who I'd credit them but they said

Owning a N* without a warranty is like running through a Bosnian minefield. Exhilarating but deadly.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Nope, it's the parallel to the ocean racing sailboat owner/crew's explanation -

Like running around stark naked in a cold shower, all the while screaming at the top of your lungs and tearing up $100 bills.

codewize is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Brougham d'Elegance / 2001 DTS / 2002 DTS

Yup, that too.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS

U can say any cars value is based on miles and condition. Is this 98 a low miles jewel? 75k miles vs 155k miles is a big diff. Great paint or so-so? New tires? Nice interior?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.