Overheating Northstars and bleeder valves
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Overheating Northstars and bleeder valves in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi gang! The other day I was browsing through the forums, and I ran across a post about someone who ...
    Carroll1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 sls

Overheating Northstars and bleeder valves

Hi gang!
    The other day I was browsing through the forums, and I ran across a post about someone who adapted a home heating "steam pressure relief valve" to the bypass hose, and said that he drove it like that for a year or so with good results. There was even a picture of the product! I've tried to search for it but can't find it. Does anyone recall that?

Thanks in advance!
    Carroll1

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Overheating NorthStars

I vaguely recall it. It's just a Rube Goldberg band-aid that may or may not work, depending on how far along your HG failure is.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I suppose it would work - sort of. A pressure relief valve implies that it would bleed off at some pressure, but there would be no way to bleed only gas - anything would blow out when the valve tripped - just like our coolant reservoir caps vent both gas and coolant with ease........

Another idea: A Nash Float Valve. There are several versions of the Nash Float Valve - several were used in submarines to remove air from ballast water pumping systems.

The valve is placed at the high point in a system. (and that's a problem in a car engine room) It uses a float and tapered pin arrangement in a cylinder with a drain hose: Air in the system causes the float to drop, the tapered pin drops, and air bleeds out. As the loop fills with water, the float again closes the bleed hole.

Mom & Dad's old home near DC had a 1920's version of the float valve in the 3rd floor at the header tank for the hot water radiator system.

Remember the Northstar overheating sequence due to failed head gaskets: The intruding exhaust gas overpressurizes the cooling system, which then dutifully vents off gas and coolant through the pressure cap relief. At some point the coolant falls dangerously low, the water pump loses pumping action due to cavitation, and the engine overheats. The exhaust gas, in and of itself, does NOT "overheat" the engine. The loss of coolant flow does.
    Jesda and Jesda like this.

I thank you both for your response! I finally figured out that my description was in error. It was a "Air Bleeder Valve". I found one and ordered it. I'll install it and let you know how it works out.

Thanks again!!!
    Carroll1

I'll move this over to Engines; Northstar Performance. Maybe there are other ideas, like the Rube Goldberg secondary purge line arrangement (for removing exhaust gas from a compromised cooling system) that is part of a so-called "engine block sealer" kit.

andyoww is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville http://img.ly/7HqE
    One more thing to think about.

When we first picked mine up, we used it to take the kids to school (about 12 blocks, round trip).

People were referring to it as a "stream locomotive" as the white smoke would pour from both exhaust pipes.

HOWEVER, one day I checked the oil & it was white & foamy.
    The coolant was getting dumped into the block as well.

I stopped driving it right then until I could get the time to redo the head gaskets.

ANYTHING other than oil in your oil can be bad on your bearings.

Re: Overheating Northstars and bleeder valves

Coolant in the oil due to head gasket failure in a Northstar is highly unusual but not unheard of - your case must have been extreme.

smokinSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 99 sts

Hey Carroll1, I'm interested of the air valve trick worked? Got same problem going on. Need advice. Not going to get engine redone. Just trying to keep her going for awhile. closer 479 at gmail dot com. email me.

Hello smokin!
    The “air bleeder” seemed to help the problem of explosive overheating, but alas, it wasn’t enough help in my case. It worked well as long as I didn’t leave the city limits, but if I tried to visit a town 15 miles away, I didn’t have a problem getting there, but coming back home it would invariably start overheating. And in my case that meant lost coolant.
    Under my normal driving requirements that wasn’t a major problem, however I have a lot of relatives that live 250 miles away and many of them are not well, so there was always the uneasiness of an emergency trip to their hospital, or worse. In short, I needed a more dependable vehicle, so I sent the Cady to the crusher and bought a Taurus.
    Like you, an expensive repair was never an option. If you think that this will work for you, give it a try. It wasn't expensive and an easy installation.

Give me a shout back and let me know what you think.

Carroll

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.