2000 STS code 9 swapping to 2001 Y code engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 2000 STS code 9 swapping to 2001 Y code engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, probably been answered a few hundred times, just trying to make sure before I put the money out. I ...
    stsdad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS

2000 STS code 9 swapping to 2001 Y code engine

OK, probably been answered a few hundred times, just trying to make sure before I put the money out. I am replacing a 2000 STS vin code 9 engine with a vin code Y Deville engine. If what I read is correct, I should only have to change all 4 cams. I could use the code 9 heads if necessary, they are coming off both engines anyway, but would keep Y code heads on the engine if they are the same anyway. All input will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2000 sts code 9 swapping to 2001 y code engine

The only difference is the intake cam, and of coarse the PCM and transmission final drive ratio.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: 2000 sts code 9 swapping to 2001 y code engine

It's possible, but the PITA it would equate to would be pulling T-Rex teeth. It would be HIGHLY advisable if you could find another VIN 9 engine. And stud it before it goes in the car.

Re: 2000 STS code 9 swapping to 2001 Y code engine

Changing cams is a PITA? If cams are changed, wouldn't the engine then technically be a VIN 9 engine? I'm not trying to be a PITA, just curious. It would seem that code Y engines would be
    more likely to have fewer stoplight launches on them.

JoeTahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GMC SLT,Tahoe, Malibu LTZ, 99 STS studded with NP
    If you change the cams you will have a vin 9 engine

98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera

Or just get the PCM reprogrammed. I went from a vin y to a 9 had the transmission ratio difference code got the PCM programmed to the new engine and a tune and now I have a vin 9 set up

Thank you very much, currently thinking I will just do the bolts on the engine in the car, seems to run fine, other than the temps.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Better do some research first. Doing it in the car is a real PITA. Most who have attempted it ended up dropping the drivetrain and say it is easier.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

Are you dropping subframe to swap motor?

Sorry got busy fixing the engine that came in the car. Yes dropped the sub frame. I did the deed in my carport with the help of a friend from work. The driveway slopes down away from the carport, left the
    rear wheels lower than the rest of the car. I jacked up the car and put in on jack stands to start out, when I dropped the sub frame down, I used a large floor jack and an ATV lift in the front that I purchased for about 90 bucks from Harbor Freight. I then attached an engine hoist to the bolts that are for the front of the sub frame. With the sub frame out, the car is much lighter, no problem for the hoist to lift the
    car to about a 40 degree angle. Took some pics on my phone, still trying to get them to the computer, but the tailpipes came within about a 1/2 an inch of the ground, wouldn't work on flat ground. My brother did his mustang by first backing the rear wheels onto ramps, keeps from having to lift the front of the car as much. Looking back, there's no way I would attempt to do this job in the car, it is MUCH easier to work on when it's out on the ground. If I do it again, I would get a second engine, fix it on a stand, then swap it in. Removing and re-installing the sub frame is a one day job.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Saw a pic of a dealer setup for dropping subframe. They have a support frame on wheels that they drop the subframe on. Then they can roll the whole assy out from under car. Imagine a rolling workbench.

That would be really cool if you could then lift the assembly to a height that would let you work on it while standing. I got tired of squatting next to it while drilling and tapping the holes.

RandyT. is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Aurora

I drop my assembly on 2 furniture dollys then lift the body up to clear it, then I can roll it around where I need it.

Did you end up swapping the cams? I know you can put a 4.6 in an Aurora and the computer will run it fine with no modifications, I don't know if that would be the case with yours. I am putting a 275 4.6 in my Aurora but I am also swapping the trans to a Cadillac 3:71 ratio, so I will have to have a reflash or an Aurora computer that matches the 3:71 ratio. My Aurora came out with the 3:48 ratio, but the 3:71 was an option on Auroras called the Autobahn version. I already tried a Cadillac computer, my Aurora would not start, lol. Not that I thought it would. I have switched many Aurora computers though, they usually start, and they will run it fine as long as the trans ratio matches the computer programming.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.