Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My friend suprised me on Friday and gave me the keys to his automotive shop where I have the use ...
    MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job

My friend suprised me on Friday and gave me the keys to his automotive shop where I have the use of the lift all weekend. So I finally took the plunge today after living in denial for a year plus that it needed a HG job. I have the jig, studs, tap and drill and the upper half engine gaskets, but I never got around to ordering the FSM. Here's hoping everything goes smooth. I worked 8 hours straight today and got heat sickness, and a pounding headache. I have till Monday morning before I have to at least have the cradle back in so we can roll it off the lift. I got the harness all the way disconnected, as well as the a/c lines, removed the intake, water reservoir, water crossover, wheels, calipers, radiator, fans, disconnected the steering shaft, left valve cover, and water pump cam pulley, struts upper towers unhooked.

I finally gave up for the night, I had removed the connection nuts at the converter, but couldn't get it to seperate and the cradle kept leaving the jack stands when I raised the body with the lift. So I guess I'll try tomorrow to remove the bolts at the collector on the manifold instead?

I also pulled too hard on the rubber hose to the upper line of the heater core and the metal nipple seperated for the core itself. Don't know if that can me soldered or brazed while still in the car??? Its pretty tight in that corner.

Tomorrow is going to be the big push to get it all the way out, start and finish both head jobs, skipping the lower half reseal, fixing that heater core, and getting the cradle at least bolted onto the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job

BTW, I'm not worried about setting timing, the only thing I am unsure of at this point is the sequence and 1st, 2nd and third passes on the head studs/nuts. Can someone give me a link to that information. There is a computer at the shop, but not sure if he will let me back there to use alldatadiy. Thanks

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC

Well so much for quick, but definitely dirty.

Cradle is out finally. Forgot to turn the crank pulley to line up the timing marks before removing the crank pulley/harmonic balancer. But I haven't messed with the timing comonents yet, wanted to get em at TDC and mark the chains and sprockets. When I went to reinstall the crank pulley I noticed I couldn't find a keyway key, but there is definitely a triangle piece for one on the crank? Also there isn't a groove in the pulley itself? Does it just bolt on with no reference of which way is up? Alldata doesn't seem to mention any thing about the key on the pulley itself, but it does mention one for the sproket on the crank?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The harmonic balancer does not have a keyway. The crank chain sprocket has an alignment pin.

I hope you don't rush this job........... too many pitfalls.

Finally got the heads off . #1 and #3 definitely trouble makers, #3 had about a 1/4 cup of fluid sitting in the chamber, and #2 had gunk built up around the water jacket under the head gasket. Will post pics tomorrow.

What's the best media to use to clean the heads with? Obviously don't want to be too agressive. I used a razor blade but not good enough.

I seemed to have misplaced the directions for the procedure of drilling and tapping. Other than to get it in straight from the get go, and go till the drill bit bottoms out at the keeper ring on the bit.

Hopefully I can get em all drilled, tapped and studded in 9 hours?

What could I use as a cutting fluid substitute? Got about every lubricant under the moon except that.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WD40 is a good cutting and tapping lube for aluminum.

What's the best media to use to clean the heads with? Obviously don't want to be too agressive. I used a razor blade but not good enough.
    Whatever you do, DO NOT use ScotchBrite or even get it near an open motor.

Uh oh, refresh my memory is scotch brite the green pads you scour pans with in the Kitchen?

I found some synthetic red pads on a disc, didn't feel to abrasive on the hand, that seemed to do pretty well with the air gun. Hope I didn't spread abrasive crap in the chambers. I blew it all out after I was done, and wiped the chambers down with wd-40 soaked on a rag...

I can turn the dowel in the head with a bolt in the middle using a pipe wrench but can't pull out?Couldn't find a 1/4" pipe plug right now.

Found this from Mr. Buttermore's post:

"Removed the dowels by tapping them (thanks, eyewonder, for this idea) with a 1/4-inch pipe tap, then threading in a big 14mm fine thread bolt. Slipped my tie rod pickle fork around that and whacked the bolt head repeatedly. They did not come out easily. Cleaned the deck and the piston tops very carefully and slowly with my carbide edge super scraper - did the valve indents with an old fid on a penknife, and a really fine wire brush. "

Gonna try this.

Man this is taking forever

Yeah, that's them. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ite-never.html

Here's another dowel removal method.

Put a short length of threaded rod into the dowel and tack weld it in place. Now put a shorter piece of pipe over it so the threaded rod sticks out of the top of the pipe. Place a washer over the rod so it rests on the end of the pipe and then thread a nut onto the rod. As you tighten the nut, it will pull the dowel pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Here's another dowel removal method.

Put a short length of threaded rod into the dowel and tack weld it in place. Now put a shorter piece of pipe over it so the threaded rod sticks out of the top of the pipe. Place a washer over the rod so it rests on the end of the pipe and then thread a nut onto the rod. As you tighten the nut, it will pull the dowel pin.
    How do you keep from scoring the head with the short piece of pipe? Or not to worry about it?

I just realized we don't have a drill big enough either electric or pneumatic to handle the 17/32" drill bit So much for an all night'er.

Is ten hours too long to drop my first cradle?

I assume this gunk under the gasket is where it was leaking into the cylinder on #2?

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Those are gasket particles, which came from a deteriorated gasket. Mine had that "gunk" almost everywhere around the water jacket. I carefully removed those using vacuum cleaner & craft sticks.

How do you keep from scoring the head with the short piece of pipe? Or not to worry about it?
    The pipe should not score the head. It just sits there. You could put a larger washer under it if you are worried about it. Even a piece of cardboard would do.

That "gunk" is sealant tab residue.

The more pictures I see, the more I am becoming convinced that the gaskets go first in the chicken or egg theory. Then the question becomes is it an inferior gasket, coolant, coolant change interval or open deck design? Personally, I do not like that open deck.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.