Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Installed the oil filter adapter, removed the oil filter, it was only half full of oil, after I dumped it ...
    MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Re: Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job

Installed the oil filter adapter, removed the oil filter, it was only half full of oil, after I dumped it last night to install the rear A/C bracket bolt. Started the engine briefly with the filter off. No oil coming out.

Couldn't prime with the suction tank. What do I do now.

I pulled the crank bolt out and noticed the balancer isn't flush with the end of the crank even though it was torqued down? Should it be flush? My torque wrench is pretty old, maybe its out of calibration?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

After you lock the flexplate and begin the 37 lb/ft torque, can you see the balancer move in toward the timing cover ? The hub should wind up almost flush with the crank snout - once you get that initial 37 figure you should need a good, tough 6-point box end wrench and 2 or 3 foot pipe extension to get that 120 degrees twisted in - 2 full flats on the bolt head past the 37 point.

I haven't been locking the flexplate but rather wedging a prybar between the control arm and the balancer. It don't move when I'm torquing or degreeing only the bolt does as the balancer gets closer to the front cover. Been using a long 1/2" drive ratcheting torque wrench, then recently switched to my deflector type 1/2" torque wrench as I feel its more accurate. Haven't needed a cheeter bar for just 50nm/37ftlbs. Been using a snapon degree gauge that's inline with the socket to measure 120 degrees.

Got the right bank valve cover off good enough to rub some assembly lube on the lobes. Maybe I can divert a disaster on the top end while trying to prime the pump. It was still wet on top with oil. Will squirt some oil before sealing up. I don't know how hard the left cover will be to pry open with the water pump pulley on there.

If I decide to repack the pump again could I use a little thicker grease next time? The petroleum jelly was pretty soft after a hot day in the shop, And even if I had refriderated it, by the time I got it all back together I think it would have gotten soft again?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by MRneatfreak- View Post
    I don't know how hard the left cover will be to pry open with the water pump pulley on there.

Don't
    even try.

I would be uncomfortable with trying to get accurate torque/degree specifications while locking the thing I'm trying to accurately "move".

Don't pack the pump with thick grease - the recommended petroleum jelly rapidly dissolves in (moving) oil, so that's all you need to keep the pump from air binding as it lifts the oil from the pan. Did you check the pump internal pressure bypass plunger and spring ? If that's hung open you get no output pressure.

Your half full filter says the pump is not working properly.

Yeah checked the bypass plunger last night, it had plenty of tension on it.

Gave up on the torque wrench and the shop owner (my friend) lightly zipped the crank bolt on with an impact. Started it and it instantly had oil pressure. Now if only we had thought about that last weekend.

Now just letting it cook off the residual grease on the exhaust manifold's, and seeing what the temps are going to do...

Air bag warning is annoying, it trumps all other readouts until you turn the key off. Tempted to plug the sir fuse back in to see if the bag pops, after I might have messed up the clock spring. Thoughts?

Seems I forgot to hookup the coolant temp switch, can't readily see where the wire end is... Gonna let it cool so I can dig.

Also the oil light was flickering almost like it had a bad connection, but there was no command to shut down the engine. pushed on the connector seems ok? Gonna change the oil and filter and see what happens. I got a new oil press switch should I just changed it too?

Changed the oil and the oil press switch. Plugged the coolant temp switch in, cranked her up oil light went and stays out. Started topping off coolant as she warmed up. Stepped away for a minute and came back to a coolant mess on the floor. Shut it off, added to the bottom of the reservoir cranked up put the cap on. Now running hot sitting at 233 with one fan on but so far not gurgling or out of control. Will let it cool down and top off. Hopefully there is just an air pocked in there?

Also fighting a P0322 code Supposedly is set with a vac leak. but also see on the internet where it has to do with engine speed and cam timing.

The first crank starts right up and dies, second prolonged crank starts up and stays running.

After topping off coolant temps run between 212 and 233.

95STS is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRneatfreak- View Post
    Stepped away for a minute and came back to a coolant mess on the floor.
    Plugged up surge tank hose causes that

Ok found this with google:

P0322 ICM 4X Reference Circuit Malfunction - With Automatic TransmissionPossible Causes Setting Conditions
    •Fuel control signal circuit is open
    •Fuel control signal circuit is shorted to ground
    •IC module has failed
    •PCM has failed
    DTC P0340 and P1376 not set; engine running; CMP sensor signal detected in the last 4 seconds, and the PCM did not detect any 4X fuel control pulses for 4 seconds.

This code sets in 1 Trip(s).

I really hope it has nothing to do with the cam gear that passes by the cam sensor. If the timing was off like the cam sproket was out of time, wouldn't that cause other problems besides a hard start?

I almost drove the car home tonight but was afraid of getting stranded if it ever lost the cam signal timing. SES light is on, with PO322 current. As well as SIR message. Will have to reset the battery and hope the Cam Timing fixes itself.

Quote Originally Posted by 95STS View Post
    Plugged up surge tank hose causes that
    I guess that could be. It was clear before the project but I guess it could be plugged with a little bit of gasket or who knows what. Will have to open it up again. Good idea.

Manic Mechanic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DeVille

If your cam timing was off it would cause other problems besides a hard start and it usually wouldn't set this code if it was close enough to start in the first place. But if your camshaft position sensor circuit is non-functional you'll be able to start it but it will take extended cranking and it will run ok. Check to see if the sensor is intact, it's back there on the rear pass side of the head and comes close to the frame. I removed mine before I dropped my cradle to prevent interference damage. Actually mine was already hit somehow, the metal bracket/shield was all deformed and jammed up against the connector. I don't know how that happened unless my uncle drove it with a broken engine mount for a while or similar. If the sensor is still in good shape make sure the connector has both wires intact and the contacts are all the way into the plug making good contact with the sensor. Check the harness for damage incurred when dropping the engine. If all looks good make sure it's connected securely and see if the code is still current. This could easily be a loose connection.

Vernon

Replaced the Cam sensor, didn't fix the problem. Wires were intact, but I didn't dive into the harness too far. Maybe its time to either shoot wires for continuity or look for something else to cause this problem.

I just remembered that I didn't know which fuel lines to reconnect a week ago, so is it possible they are reversed at the intake rail and this is causing the hard start?

A few more current codes cropped up:
    P0141= If the ECM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141

P0155= 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

P0135= O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

When I clear all PCM codes with the engine running the engine dies, and its hard to start again.

Seems odd that the O2 sensors started to malfunction all of a sudden as soon as I plugged in the coolant sensor. Didn't have a problem with them before the project began. Perhaps they got contaminated with the repair processes? I didn't remove them.

I still haven't tried another car battery yet. Funds are low right now. Battery reads 12.2 before cranking, then I think 11.5 after it gets started, now remember it has to crank for a maybe 10 or so seconds before it starts due to the cam error. Battery is 5 years old this month.

I had removed the sway bar links from the front end so I could get the struts to install easier. Wanted to buy new ones but again the money issue. I drove the car about 3 miles home without them installed, and the ride was real bumpy.

Also on the clock spring issue. My friend said there would be nothing to worry about by plugging the SIR fuse back in, as the SIR computer would sense a problem and disable the system anyway, if the clock spring was compromised.

How else would I tell if it was a gonner for sure? My steering wheel doesn't have any other buttons on it like my other 97 does for the radio and the blower/temp. This one is only a steering wheel w/ airbag. Would the horn be the only way to tell?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.