Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Got the pump off dont see anything grossly wrong with it. One side was wet with oil and the other ...
    MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Re: Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job

Got the pump off dont see anything grossly wrong with it. One side was wet with oil and the other hole was dry. Now when it says to pack the housing with white petroleum jelly. It means seperate the two halves and pack it in and around the gears and the hollow passages?

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Pack the gerotor and outlet passage. Squirt as much engine oil as you can into the supply - oil pan - passage. Double check that the pump oil bypass plunger and spring are intact and that the bypass plunger is free in its bore. (Post #45 diagram)

Ok packed the heck out of the housing, reassembled, filled up the front cover prior to putting the timing cover on. Question now is should I overfill the crankcase prior to startup to aid in any low oil issue in the pump, or just fill up the crankcase as normal?

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

Quote Originally Posted by MRneatfreak- View Post
    When I got back today my friend took a peek at the problem, and realized the spacer/ring/bushing that goes between the pump and the harmonic balancer is missing.
    I might be reading too much into (or not understanding) your description/part name, but there is NOT anything between the oil pump & the harmonic balancer. Looking back at the illustration in post #45, item #11 is the drive sleeve for the oil pump. The crankshaft would be to the left of the drawing, with the nose of the crank going through the drive sleeve, then the oil pump sliding over the drive sleeve with the two flats machined onto the drive sleeve mating up with the corresponding flats on the pump gear, and eventually outside the timing cover.

The below photo shows my 2000 N* pump installed, just after removing the timing cover. No spacers on the crank.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by eyewonder View Post
    I might be reading too much into (or not understanding) your description/part name, but there is NOT anything between the oil pump & the harmonic balancer. Looking back at the illustration in post #45, item #11 is the drive sleeve for the oil pump. The crankshaft would be to the left of the drawing, with the nose of the crank going through the drive sleeve, then the oil pump sliding over the drive sleeve with the two flats machined onto the drive sleeve mating up with the corresponding flats on the pump gear, and eventually outside the timing cover.
    The below photo shows my 2000 N* pump installed, just after removing the timing cover. No spacers on the crank.
    Hi Steve, Yeah I'm past that part now. My friend showed me a diagram that seemed to show a spacer in front of the oil pump on the crankshaft when actually it was the drive gear that actually spins the gerotor.

Well after packing the oil pump with petroleum jelly and overfilling the crankcase, I still get a low oil warning message, and the oil light never extinguishes...

Would like to verify oil pressure with a mechanical gauge but don't know what port to test? Would it actually be the same one that is used by the oil pressure switch on the oil filter adapter?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I believe so. I'm not entirely sure though, so I'll let the guys with experience chime in. Have to say though, either wiring isn't properly connectd or the switch is toast.

eyewonder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 STS, 170K Miles

Glad to hear that the pump was all together, as it should be.

I also am looking into a 'Low Oil Pressure - Turn Engine Off' message. After a 200 mile road trip it did not show the message again, and no unusual engine noises.

I have a new oil pressure sensor that I will be installing this weekend, and also got a $35 Transmission pressure/engine oil pressure gauge test set that I will be using to get an actual PSI reading with the engine running. It will hookup to the same port on the filter adapter that the sensor normally screws into. The main part of the kit that caused me to buy it was the collection for various thread size adapters that came with it.

Cheers,
    Steve

I wonder if anyone has ever posted a video of them purposely lighting their Deville on fire? That's about where I am at with this project. It would probably give alot of us some much needed release to watch the video. Kind of like that scene from the movie Office Space where they take the printer to the field and go gangster on it. I've got about $800 in parts total, and I got the car for $800. So not too much of a loss. Got a few more ideas to try but then...

After I took that pic I stuffed the right side hole with more grease and filled with oil

What are the odds that its just a oil pressure sender?

I need to jump out the connector too to see if the light goes out.

Your post that said something about a rumble and then another that went "I could hear the lifters screaming............." is what pointed toward a faulty or no-prime oil pump. If the engine is now mechanically quiet at idle I'd find/rent an oil pressure test gauge - it goes into the oil pressure sending switch hole on the oil filter adapter.

Cold, you should have at least 20 - 25 psi at a 650 idle.

From your picture it looks like an awful lot of oil has been flying around in that timing chain area for there to be no oil flow..............

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    Your post that said something about a rumble and then another that went "I could hear the lifters screaming............." is what pointed toward a faulty or no-prime oil pump. If the engine is now mechanically quiet at idle I'd find/rent an oil pressure test gauge - it goes into the oil pressure sending switch hole on the oil filter adapter.

Cold, you should have at least 20 - 25 psi at a 650 idle.

From your picture it looks like an awful lot of oil has been flying around in that timing chain area for there to be no oil flow..............
    Hard to say what I hear with the exhaust partially disconnected, could only get 1 of the 2 big bolts to go in on the right bank.

As far an awful lot of oil on the chain area, I did overfill the crankcase by 8 additional qts (16 total) so that area would be wet, right?

The chaincase would be wet regardless - you cannot imagine the amount of oil that flies around in there when the engine is running normally. You even get some splatter out the fill cap hole at idle, and ask the guys who leave the fill cap off just how much oil gets out and onto everything in the engine compartment in a short time on the highway.....................

Here's a thought, though - get an assistant, remove the oil fill cap and have a GOOD flashlight in hand. Have the assistant start the engine and you look into the oil fill hole toward the front of the head - cam lobe area. If there's oil flow you'll see it running/splashing over the cam and lifter area.

Quote Originally Posted by trbolvr View Post
    This is how I primed my pump. The "Topsider" is made for marine applications but I've found it to be a great tool in the garage. It basically gives you a vacuum in the can when the handle is pumped. Also works great for cleaning out heater cores.

Attachment 96659
    Did you prime it with the oil pump installed? I bought a bigger version of what you have at Napa, and intially tried to get oil out of oil filter adapter through a port that is capped off adjacent to the oil pressure sensor. And didn't get hardly anything to come out.

Pulled the oil filter adapter off and tried sucking from the lower left hole on the block, got about 2 cups of oil out if that with lots of pumping on the suction platform. Then tried the upper right hole on the block and nothing came out, so I assume the upper right is the filtered supply to the engine.

I wonder if there is any way to make the pump spin while on the engine without having the crank rotating? Like some kind of pressure plate and an electric drill?

It shouldn't be this difficult.

Is there any way to check to make sure the balancer is making contact with the pump shim without removing the balancer. I torqued to 50nm +120 degrees. but if that wasn't making contact that would be a problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.