Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; All shined up Felpro Wiggle and Rubber Mallet Massage Old Head Bolts...
    MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Re: Quick and Dirty 97 Deville HG Job

All shined up

Felpro

Wiggle and Rubber Mallet Massage

Old Head Bolts

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

That's purdy!

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Gonna have another Northstar back at 'em and better than ever! GOOD ON YA!

I forgot how much fun playing musical bolts and brackets can be . You would think you would remember how it all goes back together.

Cradle is ready to go in the car. I replaced the motor/transmission mounts. The lower front one by the radiator was about one 2 inches from being completely severed. Rear lower by the passengers tire had some life in it, but it was only $26 so did it too. The small one by the drivers tire looks ok. Ended up also replacing the starter cable, on the battery side someone used those universal type clamps and everything was corroded with green gunk. Next chance to work on it isn't for another couple days. Maybe by Sunday it'll be time to start her up.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k

dayum. you want the gasket mating surfaces to be flat, not swoped and scalloped from going nuts with a disc grinder. i used some spray on gasket remover. cleaned the head surface up pretty nice. the surfaces are machined with a certain rms from the factory. you can go nuts a bit on an iron head/block but aluminum is soft. i hope you don't have any issues with sealing.

Not too worried about the sealing surfaces its not like I used a wire wheel or scotchbrite .

I did however have a few screw ups today. The CV axles over extended and the struts bowed. Was able to rectify the one axle but upon taking the boot off the other we found the bearing were all discombobulated so had to replace that one.

Then I made the mistake of turning the steering wheel before reconnecting the rack and pinion and I think I broke the clock spring inside under the air bag. How do I disconnect/disable the airbags before turning power back on? Anything else that needs to be unhooked due to this problem.

Just pull the air bag fuse.

ok pulled the sir fuse in the truck, disaster averted.

Started the engine heard some rumbling thought it was the exhaust leak, cause I could only get 3 of 4 bolts in the collectors. Turns out the lifters were clapping, and the Dic said low oil pressure. This was maybe 5-10 secs tops. Shut it down, removed the harmonic balancer again and retorqued to 37ft lbs and 120 degrees with the bolt lubed in engine oil, still says low oil pressure I can hear the lifters screaming. Was i supposed to prime the oil pump before I intstalled it? I just removed it, to get the timing set right. I didn't take the pump apart.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The GM service manual, under engine overhaul procedure: Oil pump assembly - "Pack the pump housing with white petroleum jelly to insure pump priming".

You MAY get away with grossly overfilling the oil pan - pour in another 7 quarts of oil in order to bring the level up to the crankshaft-oil pump height. Start the engine at idle only and pray that it primes. IF it does, idle it for a minute, then shut down and drain down the oil to proper level.

If you heard gross lifter clatter, that's not good, particularly in a flat tappet cam follower engine.

The overfill procedure should prime the pump for you. I remember our old Guru saying overfill by 8 qts (total of 16), but I don't know how critical that number is.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    The GM service manual, under engine overhaul procedure: Oil pump assembly - "Pack the pump housing with white petroleum jelly to insure pump priming".

You MAY get away with grossly overfilling the oil pan - pour in another 7 quarts of oil in order to bring the level up to the crankshaft-oil pump height. Start the engine at idle only and pray that it primes. IF it does, idle it for a minute, then shut down and drain down the oil to proper level.

If you heard gross lifter clatter, that's not good, particularly in a flat tappet cam follower engine.
    Yeah I read that on alldata but it was also talking about disassembling the oil pump and that you should prime the pump with grease after that. I didn't dissassemble the pump, just removed and set aside...

At any rate I like the overfill idea seems like less work.

You open the oil pump and engine passages and oil drains down/back/out. The oil pump is a gerotor design, not the meshed gear type, so it needs all the help it can get as far as priming goes. Cadillac has a special Northstar oil system priming rig for just this sort of event.

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    You open the oil pump and engine passages and oil drains down/back/out. The oil pump is a gerotor design, not the meshed gear type, so it needs all the help it can get as far as priming goes. Cadillac has a special Northstar oil system priming rig for just this sort of event.
    What a Pia, just when I thought the engine was finally in and ready to go this whole low oil pressure monster reared its ugly head.

I added an additional 8 qts of oil on top of what was already in the crankcase at the full mark. Started and shut it off a quick couple of times then let it run for a few more seconds the last time and the oil light never turned off and the Dic said shut down engine.

So I gave up for now. Got a Cat 2+ hurricane on its way.

Maybe my friend can remove the timing cover and prime the oil pump, later this week if the bldg isn't damaged.

Started and shut it off a quick couple of times then let it run for a few more seconds
    It might need to be run a little longer than that. I'm not really sure how long it takes.

Not to rub salt into an open wound, but this job turned out to be anything BUT "Quick" and it certainly is "Dirty".

When you get back into the front of the engine, make sure the oil pump drive sleeve is correctly installed and that the balancer bolt torque sequence is correct. Maybe you have time to find a real GM service manual ??? ........ or www.alldatadiy.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.