How do I drain ALL the coolant?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, How do I drain ALL the coolant? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; When I was replacing my coolant level sensor (and the whole surge tank, inherently), I was only able get about ...
    CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

How do I drain ALL the coolant?

When I was replacing my coolant level sensor (and the whole surge tank, inherently), I was only able get about a gallon and a half of the old garbage out. I drained it through the petcock, and I did forget to remove the surge tank cap until about halfway through. Seeing as I had to get down to school today (this occured yesterday), I just filled the system to full and figured I'd mess with it later. Since the manual states the system capacity to be 3 1/8 gallons, I know I didn't get all of the old stuff out. To remedy this situation, what woud be the best route? Lower radiator hose?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: How do I drain ALL the coolant?

Turn the car upside down and shake vigorously.

Seriously, you will never get it all out. The plug you pulled is the lowest point in the system (look where the lower radiator hose is). The only thing you can do to get a bit more out is to stick a shop vac hose nozzle in the surge tank and seal it with your hand or a rag and reverse the flow to blow out a little more. Don't expect a lot though.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I did the shop vac deal and got about 1/2 gallon more out. When I did it alot of crap came out that didn't from just a drain. I also used a few gallons of water to flush it out, I poured a gallon in the upper rad hose and was surprised how the sudden volume cleaned the rad out.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    You can try removing the water crossover lol!

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    I did the shop vac deal and got about 1/2 gallon more out. When I did it alot of crap came out that didn't from just a drain. I also used a few gallons of water to flush it out, I poured a gallon in the upper rad hose and was surprised how the sudden volume cleaned the rad out.
    Sealant tab residue.

Thanks guys. I guess in that case I will go round up a shop vac. I think I'll remove the lower rad hose too.

ternstes is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V, 2007 SRX V8, 2005 CTS 3.6L, 2000 STS, 1999 STS

Just thinking out loud here, but couldn't you remove the thermostat (or let the car warm up to temperature), remove the upper rad hose from the radiator and extend it into a bucket, and let the water pump expel all the old coolant from the engine? Of course, you would have to keep adding fresh coolant to the surge tank, but you would eventually get all the old stuff out, right?

No, the WP will suck air before long. The radiator drain is the lowest part in the system. You'll get the most coolant out by draining it from there.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

I don't get all of it out, but what I do to get more of it out is to remove the purge line from the resevoir after it has been draining for awhile. Then I run a line from my air compressor (at only around 5 or 6 psi) and push air into the purge line hose, then right into the resevoir. I did this when I was replacing all the heater hoses on the firewall, and I avoided the usual mess.

Thanks for the tip bigtone. I will have to try that next time I change the coolant. What I ended up doing was as follows:

Remove the pressure cap.
    Open the drain.
    While coolant is draining, I turned the engine on and gently revved it. It never got past 170 degrees (Did this first thing before going and driving the car) The engine bay was cool enough to where I could get my bearsized paws down there and shut the drain.
    Refill system with new coolant.
    FROM FSM-Replacing surge cap, turn heater to highest setting and start engine. Cycle engine to 3000 rpm and back to idle 5 times. Check coolant and add as needed.

Doing this, I got almost 2.5 gallons out, and the old stuff that came out looked cleaner, indicating that the new DexCool that was in there mixed well. I'm a happy camper

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

2.5 gallons sound as much as what you can get. I'd not worry about what stayed in it, it should be far less than the new stuff and should not effect the efficiency(new-ness?) of the new coolant.

Thank you That confirms my happiness on my repair. I LOVE FIXING MY CAR ON MY OWN!!!

MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post

PTMech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Deville

I flushed mine:
    Remove the cap from the purge tank and open the radiator drain cock to drain the system; close the drain cock and replace the purge tank cap
    Remove the thermostat and reinstall the bell housing and hose
    Remove the upper radiator hose from the inlet side of the radiator and place into a suitable bucket for antifreeze reclamation
    Place the end of a garden hose into the radiator inlet and run water until all the antifreeze is flushed from the system and water from the upper radiator hose runs clear
    Remove the garden hose and reattach the upper radiator hose to the radiator inlet
    Remove the cap from the purge tank and open the radiator drain cock to drain the system; close the drain cock
    Reinstall the thermostat
    Fill the system through the purge tank with undiluted DexCool. Purge the system per GM guidelines (between the clean water that’s remaining in the system and the undiluted DexCool, the mixture should end up close to 50/50)

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by vincentm View Post
    That got me to LOL!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.