Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Unfortunately am not able to break the drain plug loose for oil change. Son was helping me and he says ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage?

Unfortunately am not able to break the drain plug loose for oil change. Son was helping me and he says head of bolt isn't rounded off so I am thinking of using my impact wrench with a 15mm 6 pt socket to break it loose. Any insights or thoughts are appreciated. I have til Saturday to decide, already have a new plug.

Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage?

Having changed literally thousands of cars/trucks oil I can tell you bad things have happened to me if I wasn't able to remove the drain plug with anything short of a cheater bar. Usually they are cross threaded/stripped either from over-tightening or just plain worn out.
    How long of a wrench/breaker bar do you have to use?
    I would use a breaker bar and give it a rap with a hammer, you might get lucky.
    I don't think I would use the impact...

Did try using interlocked combination wrenches with my son suspending his whole upper body weight on the wrench. Even tried putting the wrench on a floor jack and jacking it up against the weight of the car but couldn['t break it loose that way either, that is where we left it til next Saturday. It was done by a Valvoline quick oil chage center last time, don't trust them to correct the issue. I think they either over torqued or cross threaded it.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'd use an impact. If there is any damage, it's already done. I don't think you'll do any more.

Hi Ranger,

long time since I have been on here. I am thinking along the same lines, using it to break it loose will probably be the least likely way to cause any damage to the head if the bolt and hopefully to the threads in the pan. I am thinkig of trying to put in a drain valve with JB Weld if the pan is stripped, any better ideas?

Jim

I thought it had been some time since I've seen you.
    If the pan threads are stripped I think you can buy oversized oversized self threading plugs to rethread and save it.

andyoww is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville http://img.ly/7HqE
    The oil you fling when it breaks loose with the impact will be a sight to see.

Have somebody take a video of it & post it up when you're finished.

Pro tip: don't have your face anywhere near the "splash zone"!

Interesting possibility! Anybody else have any suggestions? Hopefully since I will have pressure against the bolt and will be pulsing it at its lowest torque setting it will not fly out when it comes out and fling oil too badly but we'll see what happens if I don't come up with a better suggestion.

I am considering using either an oversized piggy back plug with the female part loctited in or just a standard self tapping oversize plug if the pan is stripped when I get it out. Anybody have any comments from their own experience on either of these options?

Just don't spin the plug off. Once you loosen it and see it move a bit, stop and use a wrench. A little common sense applies here.

I agree but my experience with impact wrenchs is that when they break loose you often can't cut it off before the fastener is completely off. Any way, will do it in brief pulses to keep from twisting the head off and try to control it when it does come loose (hopefully).

The standard self tapping plugs wear out eventually, you have to be very careful to get it install correctly so it don't leak and all it takes is that same dumbass at quickly lube and it's toast. If you are careful they can last. The piggy back plug sucks because the internal drain is so small and will leave some oil in the pan and takes forever for it to drain, but you can get it to seal better usually and it's a final fix. Ideally see if you can find a bigger size plug and tap the pan carefully. Or install a quick drain type that you just turn a level...
    Best of luck with this. I've swapped out several pans on my POV's because of it.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

IF you have to drill and tap a new oil drain plug hole, use grease on the drill and tap to trap most of the machining chips that will result. No sense having the chips in the oil pan...........and you would be better off doing the work up on a lift with room to see and work.
    JoeTahoe and JoeTahoe like this.

Unfortunately its either ramps or jackstands and wheel chocks (with either). I have a 15mm wobble impact socket and extension so I think I can get a reasonable angle on the plug with the impact wrench. If it is stripped I will probably use the self tapping over size plug to chase out the threads (with grease as you suggested) and then put in the piggyback plug with locktite so it will be secure in the pan. What are your thoughts on that idea Sub or Ranger or anyone else who would like to chime in?

I suppose you can always remove the piggyback if it leaks and try another route.

Check the threads, the self tapping are usually pipe thread. I wouldn't use one to make threads for the other unless you make sure the threads/pitch etc are the same. I believe the current thread is m12, they sell m14 plugs. I was at advance today getting a new gasket for a plug and looked at them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.