Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; The oversize plugs are the same thread but only about .010" oversize so they cut a slightly deeper thread as ...
    jimsbox is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 DHS

Re: Oil Drain plug seized...can you use an air impact to remove without damage?

The oversize plugs are the same thread but only about .010" oversize so they cut a slightly deeper thread as I understand it. If I change to 14mm then would have to drill and re tap producing much more opportunity to go crooked and/or introduce aluminum chips into the pan. The oversize plugs are both self tapping but there is a longer taper on the plug than on the piggy back plus which is why I was considering going that route. Hopefully the threads won't be buggered and I can use a new M12 1.75 plug. I am just trying to think this through before I commit in the morning so I avoid any unforeseen complications. I will have to mike the plugs on the outer dia of the threads to see that they are the same and compare to the new plug as well, then try to mesh the threads to confirm pitch and depth of the oversize plugs threads, good call Rodnok.

Jim

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Once you get the plug out and before you do anything else, try reinserting it by hand to see if it was just impacted on by a ham handed grease monkey. You might get lucky and not have to do anything to it.

Dang! This was the oil change from somewhere south of purgatory. I heated the engine up with a 20 minute drive, jacked it as high as we could get it and finally broke it loose with a 1/2 in breaker bar. Threads were in excellent shape, was torquing the new Napa $8.00 drain plug to 15 ft/lbs when the head of the new drain plug snapped flush with the pan before we even got to 15. We had run it in by hand so did not cross thread. 30 minutes playing with nail sets, cold chisels, a hammer and a drill finally got it out. Put in a different brand bolt that torqued up nicely. I am too old for this kind of melodrama doing a simple oil change!
    I think today may be a good time to add a new item to my bucket list and start on it now...become a raving alcoholic!!! Pass the scotch, its almost noon!

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

WOW! New plug snapped the head off? I'd be back at NAPA and would not be happy. At least the pan threads where not damaged. THAT'S the important thing. Hope you're enjoying that scotch. You earned it.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Sounds like Murphy has been visiting...that'll teach you do do something the right way
    Hey at least the oil filter wasn't as tight... nothing like a filter you have to take off in pieces.
    Have one for me tonight...

I didn't even think of keeping the receipt for the drain plug, after all, who ever needed to return a drain plug? But, I took it back anyway, it was magnetic and I had the sheered head stuck to the magnetic insert. I had the manager pull another plug to prove it was a Napa plug and commented on how poor the steel was, looked like cast iron (crystalized) and he proceeded to say it was aluminum! I told him it was a magnetic plug and was steel showing him the head could be picked up with the magnetic insert and he says, that's just an insert, the plug is aluminum. I finally asked him when was the last time he saw aluminum that was attracted to a magnet and finally a twinkle of insight came into his eye. That was the store manager, but I got my refund and bought a different plug elsewhere.

I think it was easier dropping the cradle and studding the engine on this car than changing the oil is.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    Hey at least the oil filter wasn't as tight... nothing like a filter you have to take off in pieces.
    Wait until you come across an oil filter on one of these FWD cars that some airhead at the local Oil Doodle has tightened with a strap wrench - so you have to drive a screwdriver through it to twist it loose.

I have had to do that a couple of times in the past and once the #2 phillips started cutting the filter without loosening it, finally had to go to the biggest square shank common screwdriver I had (about 1/2 in on a side and drove that through and got it off. Its amazing how inept these oil change joints can be when they only have to have about 15 minutes of training to understand and do it right.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

You can train them all day long and they still muck it up... I had a guy who was my best employee and a great mechanic except for the fact that he put oil filters on until they stopped moving. If his name was on the last oil change and he was there he changed it again. I had alot of complaints about him over the years. You could not get his filters off jacking the car up and laying on your back. Fifty percent of filter problems are because the dolt doing it doesn't lube the gasket at all and just a bit of overtightening and that bastard ain't coming off without some swearing.
    People would ask me if they should use a wrench when tightening a filter and I would say yes, but don't crank it down just snug it up. I personally put my filters on a little too tight and I know it, but it's me taking them back off so I just punch myself if it's a bitch to get back of.

vincentm is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    I lube the gasket on the filter and hand tighten it on there thenni give one decent 1/4 turn by hand, not loose but tight enough so that i know it aint going to leak.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.