Can I use regular torque numbers on my cylinder heads?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Can I use regular torque numbers on my cylinder heads? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    isaaccarlson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 deville

Can I use regular torque numbers on my cylinder heads?

The book says 22 Ft lbs -60-60-60°, but that scares me with an aluminum block.
    The numbers in a popular stud kit are 30-60-75 Ft lbs
    I would like to try 22-45-60ish Ft lbs for time serts.
    Has anyone played with straight torque numbers with bolts?
    I read earlier today that someone ended up with about 60 ft lbs when done angle torquing.....

I would like to put enough clamping force on the heads, but not pull the inserts.
    The thing that scares me the most is not knowing how hard the bolts are pulling on the block with torque angle.

Please throw ideas in as I am all ears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Re: Can I use regular torque numbers on my cylinder heads?

Quote Originally Posted by isaaccarlson View Post
    The book says 22 Ft lbs -60-60-60°, but that scares me with an aluminum block.
    The numbers in a popular stud kit are 30-60-75 Ft lbs
    I would like to try 22-45-60ish Ft lbs for time serts.
    Has anyone played with straight torque numbers with bolts?
    I read earlier today that someone ended up with about 60 ft lbs when done angle torquing.....

I would like to put enough clamping force on the heads, but not pull the inserts.
    The thing that scares me the most is not knowing how hard the bolts are pulling on the block with torque angle.

Please throw ideas in as I am all ears.
    DON'T DO TIMESERTS!!!!! If you MUST go that way, jump straight to "bigserts".......if you prefer the stock headbolts instead of studs, use NORMS!

I think those who have checked the torque have seen it closer to 80. I think there is a TSB that recommends even more twist than the 180 degrees. There is a reason they do the angle torquing.....I would stick with it.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

The reason is because of the long head bolt, torque numbers, especially at higher torque load, are inaccurate because of the "spring" in the bolt as it twists. The "twist" is part of that measured reading. That's one reason I don't like the factory head bolt design- twisting the bolt under load into the aluminum block- and the shaft of the head bolt is only .390" dia.

If you use original bolts, stick to the FSM torque specifications. Also don't go with less than factory for fear of pulling the inserts, because not having enough clamp force to begin with is just as bad as a pulled insert.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

I used 30-60-80 with the shiny studs from the famous maker ^^^ and never worried about block getting damaged because of these high torque numbers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.