Concerns with my 1997 Northstar Engine
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Concerns with my 1997 Northstar Engine in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just picked up a beautiful 1997 Eldorado. It was owned by a 91 year old man who unfortunately can ...
    techevar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Eldorado

Concerns with my 1997 Northstar Engine

I just picked up a beautiful 1997 Eldorado. It was owned by a 91 year old man who unfortunately can not drive any longer. The car is absolutely beautiful! It looks like it just came out of the show room. The car has 85K on it right now. My concern in reading this forum is; Do I get rid of it while I have the chance and while its in pristine condition. I am concerned from the forum that no matter what you do eventually the Head Gaskets will blow and if that's true. While hasn't Cadilliac standed by their products and have a recall?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Re: Concerned with my Northstar Engine

Recalls are only for safety issues. Blown head gaskets are merely an annoyance.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Concerned with my Northstar Engine

moved from cust svc

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Quote Originally Posted by techevar View Post
    I just picked up a beautiful 1997 Eldorado. It was owned by a 91 year old man who unfortunately can not drive any longer. The car is absolutely beautiful! It looks like it just came out of the show room. The car has 85K on it right now. My concern in reading this forum is; Do I get rid of it while I have the chance and while its in pristine condition. I am concerned from the forum that no matter what you do eventually the Head Gaskets will blow and if that's true. While hasn't Cadilliac standed by their products and have a recall?
    Change the oil, flush the coolant, change plugs and cables (ac delco 41-950 plugs ONLY) do a block test

Struts and shocks are roughly $800 a wheel for this car. Check for oil leaks at the case halves, if weeping let it do so, if its leaking pretty bad youre looking an extremely costly repair

Oh and welcome to the Eldo section

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: Concerns with my 1997 Northstar Engine

Head Gaskets are "relatively" Minor. This means that for the production numbers the cars have experienced, the number of HG failures are somewhat insignificant.

Not all Northstar V8s will blow their head gaskets. You have to keep in mind that a vast majority of people come to the forums to complain or seek help for a problem. There are few that praise their cars. THer is, however, one dude over in the Northstar forum with 540,000 miles on his BONE STOCK Northstar.

It's up to you on whether to ditch the Eldo or not. Would you consider a $3,000 repair on a car worth roughly that much worthwhile?

How much do you like this car?

Has the car ever been overheated?

What are the service records?

It seems, to me, that repeated overheating of the Northstar is a BIG part of the failure. Head gaskets almost never fail on these cars, it seems that the headbolts lose their clamping force, and BOOM. HG "failure". It's a bit of the 'Chicken or the egg' with HG failure, though, as general consensus is.

If it's never been overheated, and serviced regularly, that VASTLY improves your chances. If you plan on keeping the car, change the coolant yesterday, read up on the technical archive, keep it from overheating, and ENJOY!

Oh, and if you decide to sell it, post a listing on the classifieds. I'm sure there are some members that would LOVE a crack at this car.

Thanks everyone for their Input. The replies have put my mind at ease. Since I absolutely love this car. I'm going to take a pro-active approach and put in a new water pump, Radiator and thermostat. This will absolutely ensure I never ( or lessen) my chances of overheating. Maybe I'll get to the 540,000 mile mark like the guy mentioned above.

vincentm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
    Thanks everyone for their Input. The replies have put my mind at ease. Since I absolutely love this car. I'm going to take a pro-active approach and put in a new water pump, Radiator and thermostat. This will absolutely ensure I never ( or lessen) my chances of overheating. Maybe I'll get to the 540,000 mile mark like the guy mentioned above.
    If it aint broke dont fix it, just change the fluids and go from there

Submariner409 is online now If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Yeah, that ^^^. Of ANYTHING you mentioned replacing, the only part would be the water pump drive belt tensioner pulley. Otherwise, leave well enough alone.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm going to take a pro-active approach and put in a new water pump, Radiator and thermostat. This will absolutely ensure I never ( or lessen) my chances of overheating.
    If that was tongue in cheek, forgive me, but if you are serious, let me correct you. There are no guarantees. I will simply add my concurrence to the two above posts. Save your money for repairs when and if you need them.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    If that was tongue in cheek, forgive me, but if you are serious, let me correct you. There are no guarantees. I will simply add my concurrence to the two above posts. Save your money for repairs when and if you need them.
    Concur also....with one additional caveat. The Eldo has a VERY good cooling system....VERY GOOD. it won't just "overheat".....ie, overheats don't LEAD to problems....problems lead to overheating....

I drover my STS HARD...and my kids drove it HARDER...first sign of HG failure didn't start until approx 130-140K miles....then had a "slow" failure....started with periodic loss of coolant.....then started losing cooling system parts. Some folks will have block test failures BEFORE getting other noticeable symptoms.

The "other" problem with the cars is the suspension. It's VERY expensive (as Vince points out) to replace the stock parts with stock....but if the constantly adjusting suspension isn't that important to you, you can buy cheaper after market parts that aren't adjustable.

top to bottom, my STS was/is one of the best cars I've owned or even driven. It's significantly better than a 2005 or 2006 CTS.....so you could spend a couple more grand on the car and still come out ahead.

I guess everyone's right. I'll change the oil (synthetic) Flush the cooling system and pray. Speaking of cooling system. I hear that you need to drop some special tablets into the radiator? is that true? Or can I just take to any mechanic shop to do a flush of the system?

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

DO NOT use the sealant tablets. GM at first recommended them as a way to seal any small holes. The only thing they tend to seal is the heater core. GM no longer recommends them. They are a waste of your time, money, effort...

Not trying to be rude, just trying to be direct. Good luck! Sounds like you got an excellent automobile

No worries and thank you. I'm glad I can bring it to any oil Place or Mechanic to flush the system.

bigtone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 DTS, 2006 DTS, 2001 Deville,

What I did to aid reliability on the 3 early 2000's Devilles that we owned was to change both belts, tensioners and idler pulley. Also I changed all the radiator and heater hoses. Years ago I used to be cheap but after I felt like an idiot once on the side of the road with a 15 year old car with a blown hose, I change all the above. Rubber does not last forever.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    DO NOT use the sealant tablets. GM at first recommended them as a way to seal any small holes. The only thing they tend to seal is the heater core. GM no longer recommends them. They are a waste of your time, money, effort...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.