No problems with my N*, how bout you?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, No problems with my N*, how bout you? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Just thought everyone should know that I've never had any problems with my 96 SLS with the 4.6L N* in ...
    mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thumbs up No problems with my N*, how bout you?

Just thought everyone should know that I've never had any problems with my 96 SLS with the 4.6L N* in 91,6xx miles. I've maintained it the way it's supposed to be maintained and never babied it. (Thanks Anthony!) It runs great, gets respectable mileage for a car with this kind of power output, and I enjoy it. You just don't see this kind of thread on this forum, as Anthony likes to point out to people who complain that the Northstars have lots of problems all the time, so I'm bucking the trend. No problems here. Just smooth sailing for many miles, and looking forward to many more. If you're satisfied with your N*, let us know!
    Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: No problems with my N*, how bout you?

Already did. Check the posts! You are not alone

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Same here. At 92K the only problem I had was the recent mis (wires) probably caused by the fuel rail replacement.

Oh yeah, half case leak was fixed under warranty. That was so long ago I almost forgot about it.

96 STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS, 2002 Seville SLS

I too have had good experience with the N* engine itself. I've had my STS for a little over a year now w/ about 168K on the odometer.

Granted, I did buy the car with transmission issues (P0717), but got that fixed & haven't really had any related problems since. Just recently had to pull the fuel pump & repair some shorted wires (still don't know what caused that), but that was fairly easily fixed.

I do have some type of "humming" noise going on between 40-55 MPH that I though was trans related, but now I'm taking others suggestions & thinking that maybe it's a wheel bearing starting to go.

Overall, other than the P0717, I've only had to deal with minor issues & none of them have been engine related. I still have not had to deal with a single engine related code/issue (I hope I'm not cursing myself here). Car runs great & has power galore. I'm very happy so far.

96 STS

ellives is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '76 Eldo convertible, 97' STS Z-rated, '02 STS

As you can see I have 2... a 96 SLS and a 97 STS... both run like tops... and other than higher oil consumption than I'd like, I love these cars... especially the STS.... the car is just amazing... Rainsense works incredibily.... and that Bose system... WOW.. even my son is amazed with it....

Go Cadillac!

haymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden
    Just thought everyone should know that I've never had any problems with my 96 SLS with the 4.6L N* in 91,6xx miles. I've maintained it the way it's supposed to be maintained and never babied it. (Thanks Anthony!) It runs great, gets respectable mileage for a car with this kind of power output, and I enjoy it. You just don't see this kind of thread on this forum, as Anthony likes to point out to people who complain that the Northstars have lots of problems all the time, so I'm bucking the trend. No problems here. Just smooth sailing for many miles, and looking forward to many more. If you're satisfied with your N*, let us know!
    Well let’s see now. My 97 SLS has had a few difficulties.
    First the problems covered under warranty.
    1. 3,000 miles front brakes repaired
    2. 9,000 miles front brakes replaced, cd player module replaced
    3. 16,000 miles rear brakes repaired
    4. 20,000 miles traction control module replace
    5. 21,000 miles abs repair and A/C wiring repair
    6. 30,000 miles rear compartment lock replace
    7. 40,000 miles front stabilizer bushings replaced
    8. 43,000 miles cd player repaired
    9. 44,000 miles cd cartridge replace
    10. 48,000 miles front pads replaced, rear rotors replaced
    11. 51,000 miles remote transmitter replaced
    12. 53,000 miles wiring connector ride control repaired
    13. 56,000 miles water pump kit and coolant replaced
    14. 60,000 miles ash tray replaced and front stabilizer link bushings replaced
    15. 62,000 miles alternator replaced
    16. 77,200 miles fuel rail replaced under recall

Now the problems after the warranty period.
    1. 73,000 miles front brake pads, rear rotors and pads replaced.
    2. 74,000 miles spark plugs and wires replaced.
    3. 76,000 miles rear rotors and pads replaced.
    4. 77.100 miles both head gaskets blown, I replaced and time-serted the block.
    5. 77,500 miles I recharge the A/C
    6. 78,000 miles after many cleanings without success (P0404), I replaced the EGR

This is the nicest car I have ever owned but by far not the best.

oldgamer is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I can bet that owners who try to avoid dealerships-stealerships have much less trouble than owners who went to the stealership to change flat tire or check the oil' level. And sometimes interesting to know what parts were REALLY BROKEN in a list stealership shows. Dealerships just keep changing parts untill eventualy car is fine. Why they should care? We pay that anyway. And in most of the cases they fix one thing and broke other ten.

95Concours is offline Expired eMail Address

Same thing, ive had my car for about 10 months now, it had 64k and now has 70k and have not had a single problem.... Not to sure how the previous owner(s) took care of the car but if the interior and exterior are any idications, then all is well.... I frickin love this car! This is my favorite car ive owned since I sadly sold my 64 deville, I miss that 429.....

eldorado1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Bigest problem I have is an oil leak.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

I LOVE my N*! I have changed the EGR valve, replaced the water pump cover gasket, had the fuel rail replaced (recall), fixed two broken ground wires, and had an oil cooler line replaced due to leakage...all minor in my opinion on a 96 car with 106K miles.

Charles :greendude

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 96 STS

Granted, I did buy the car with transmission issues (P0717), but got that fixed & haven't really had any related problems since. Just recently had to pull the fuel pump & repair some shorted wires (still don't know what caused that), but that was fairly easily fixed.

96 STS
    96 STS. You really should replace the fuel pump if you didn't when you had it out. What caused the wires on the sending unit to short/burn out is the pump failing. As the insulation on the armature windings breaks down from too many doses of solvents the pump motor starts to draw more and more current. This eventually melts the wires of the sending unit inside the tank. Replacing/repairing just the wires is just delaying the inevitable. The pump is failing. The wires don't melt for no reason. They melt because of too much current draw and that is a postive indication that the pump is ready to fail. Maybe that's the humming you hear.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)

Quote Originally Posted by mcowden

Likewise with my '98 STS at 140,000 miles. Except for the two belts, everything under the hood was installed by Cadillac assembly employees. Oh yea, and the top hose has been replaced because I allowed the original to make contact with the water pump pulley! Don't ask.

Pay attention to the maintenance schedule and Anthony Cipriano's words.

I expect to drive this one for at least another 6.5 years.

Rob Benham is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 95 FWB

I there a listed current range for the fuel pump? If I knew what to expect I could check it across the empty pump fuse socket. RB 94 SLS

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Lightbulb Take care of your car and...

I suppose I should clarify what I meant by "no problems with my N*." There have been zero problems with the way it runs. Of course, standard maintenance items apply to Cadillacs and every other car out there, like brake pads and rotors, oxygen sensors, belts, spark plugs and wires, filters, oil changes, and the like. Those don't count for problems. Non-maintenance repairs I've done include replacing the A/C compressor due to a leaky seal, replacing the alternator because I ruined it by driving through water that was too deep to drive through (I know I'm an idiot for that, by the way), and replacing the water pump because of a leaky seal. I also replaced the upper radiator hose because of a pinhole leak. Other than that, everything else has been what I consider "standard maintenance" or "the cost of owning a car."

So, overall, I don't think my 1996 Seville SLS with 91,xxx miles has had any more problems than any other car out there with the same miles. When you get 120k, 150k, 200k+ miles on a car, things are more likely to break no matter what kind of car it is. I just don't want people to get the impression that Cadillacs or the Northstar motors are problematic because of the questions that come up on this forum.

Let us know your success stories. Are you happy with your Cadillac?
    Mike

JohnnyO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '99 Eldorado, '04 DeVille

Cool Re: No problems with my N*, how bout you?

:coolgleam My mother's '99 has had no mechanical problems other than being an oil burner. Dealer did the ring cleaning procedure and I do the occasional blow-out. Currently running Auto-RX engine cleaner in it to see if that helps the oil consumption. In-dash CD player spits them back out at you but the trunk unit is okay. Dad's '04, about 12k on it now, no problems at all. Change the oil and motor on.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.