4.0 Northstar Performance Upgrade
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 4.0 Northstar Performance Upgrade in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Northstar 4.0 that I want to experiment with. Does anyone know if the 4.4 supercharged ...
    kitt1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

4.0 Northstar Performance Upgrade

I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Northstar 4.0 that I want to experiment with. Does anyone know if the 4.4 supercharged heads off a 2006 STS-V will bolt onto my block? I would have to remove the variable cam timing solenoids. I know the supercharger assembly will bolt right on, just not sure about the heads. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: 4.0 Northstar Performance Upgrade

The FWD and RWD engines are completely different.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

There isn'y much in performance for the FWD Northstar engines, unfortunately. Most of these cars were designed more with "cruiser" in mind than anything else, so souping parts are hard to come by. Google Wester's garage, they may offer a tune. Other than that, exhaust, maybe cams.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    There isn'y much in performance for the FWD Northstar engines, unfortunately. Most of these cars were designed more with "cruiser" in mind than anything else, so souping parts are hard to come by. Google Wester's garage, they may offer a tune. Other than that, exhaust, maybe cams.
    Not quite correct. The Northstar engine is actually a pretty high performance engine that, in highway tune (VIN Y) produces just about 1 hp/cubic inch while the "performance" tune (VIN 9) produces a tad more. The 4.6L is 279 c.i. with tunes of ~275 and ~300 hp respectively, and it does that on 87 octane.

The Aurora (4.0) is a rare bird ...........even less parts support.

The reasons as to why there are essentially NO aftermarket "performance" FWD Northstar parts available have to do with: In the order of things, little or no demand for performance parts, the fact that the FWD sidewinder engine in these cars is shoehorned into a tight space, and that the PCM controlled engines/transmissions have practically no "tuning" abilities to use different fuel/air/spark modifications. The 2000 and later are essentially "untunable". A couple of members have worked on PCM tuning for these engines, but in 6 years, no results. These PCM's will NOT "adjust" for fuel/air/ignition changes - they are set within limits and that's IT. Wester's CAN do work on a pre-2000 PCM or ECM.........but there are no parts to support it. CHRFAB does some gorgeous Northstar engine modification - but that's for kit cars and sand rails with stand-alone engine management systems.

"Little or no demand" ??? Every member in here, as well as those who don't even know that CF exists, if they wanted and paid for some "speed part" would not pay the R&D required to bring that part to market. We are a very small minority, and the "speed parts" manufacturers aren't in business to lose money on 225 chrome widgets.

Good point Sub . I, after all, love to call these sleepers. I guess a better statment on my part is if you're looking for a hotrod, go buy a V. If you want a potent DD that will catch a few ricers off guard, the Northstars are snappy little units. I love 'em!

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT

I would agree that they are cruisers. Well performing cruisers, but they'd get dominated by any proper sports car or race car. They're heavy, well accessorized cars with a semi-powerful drivetrain - exactly the same formula that successful cruisers have mimicked in the past.

These cars have some high performance features, but that does NOT make them high performance cars.

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    These cars have some high performance features, but that does NOT make them high performance cars.
    No one said they were - the thread was started about the FWD engine........... and to attempt to equate any of the Seville/Deville line with a ...... Ford GT Mk.40..... is the height of apples and oranges.

Although most of the Seville/Deville series does quite well for a 4,000# daily driver.

.........Northstar powered Cadillac ...... Northstar powered Corvette

Ford GT

Drove one of these around the Daytona road racing course on 3 occasions in the late 60's. Scary fast and literally bolted to the road. The second video - the Daytona road course including tri-oval - is identical to the one I drove. The Nurburgring video gives you an idea of just how fast and stable one of these things really was - the Daytona shows what it's like to drive one in fast idle. If you listen carefully you'll hear that the engine doesn't even want to run under 4,000 rpm. Remember - these cars do this for 24 hours with 18 second pit stops for new driver, tires, gas, brakes...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPMiW6mF1zs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfaXhcRJ-y4

I'm so glad I became friends with one of my buddies at UW. He introduced me to these beauties. That's the fun in them. Ford designed a race car to murder Ferrari, and it did just that. For a CONSECUTIVE 4 YEARS. AT LEMANS. For layman comparison, that would be like me starting a burger stand with the sole intention of beating McDonalds. And after a couple warm up years, I spank them in sales. And it's FREAKING GORGEOUS too. Simply beautiful. It drives great, sounds great, looks great, you just can't top that. When Ford did the remake for the '05-06 model years, they did it right too. Turned the engineers loose, just like in the 60s. And boy did they deliver. It broke the roof strength testing machine. It's perfectly balanced, and is resultantly stable WELL past 200 mph (What car set the standing mile this year?). Ford also underrated the heck out of it. Primary first mods for the modern car are a limiter bump to 7k, and twin turbos are common for the well endowed motorers. It's the F-22/SR-71 of cars. I WANT ONE.

Sub, who did you save to get the chance to drive one THREE times??? In this day and age, that's like sitting a junior pilot (no offense ) in the seat of an F-22 and saying "Have fun!!"

tateos is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)

Q:

Has anyone successfully replaced a 4.0L in an Olds with a 4.6L?

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacLuke24 View Post
    Sub, who did you save to get the chance to drive one THREE times???
    Nobody, just a good ol' boy. During the late 50's and into the late 60's (Yes, Navy time) I drove and raced some pretty exotic cars and motorcycles. The racing community was a lot smaller and a lot tighter than now. There were opportunities to do all sorts of wacky stuff. In '64 Charlie Hays (clutches) and I drove a Nickey Chevrolet (Chicago) McLaren/Elva/Chevy through downtown Bethesda at 8 one night. The thing would do 0-100-0 in under 22 seconds. RHD, and the water pump pulley was 5" behind your left shoulder. Fun. A slightly tricked 450 hp Chevy 327.

Just found the Nickey car..........

This is Skip Scott in a similar (blue) car during the '67 CanAm

You were/are one lucky guy! Glad you got the opportunities. Boy that Nickey Chevy sounds like fun!

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tateos View Post
    Q:

Has anyone successfully replaced a 4.0L in an Olds with a 4.6L?
    I'm sure it's been done....and I'd do it before changing cams..."no replacement for displacement"......and the 4.0 and 4.6 actually use the same cam grinds (9 engine).

kitt1986 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Question Re: 4.0 Northstar Performance Upgrade

The 1995 Aurora Northstar engine has a real big throttle body attached to it. Is the intake manifold different from the 1997 to allow for the bigger 4 bolt throttle body?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.