99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well I have been reading everyone else's project threads (eyewonder & Bills have been spectacular) and I'm deciding to start ...
    99DeVille_NrthSt*r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille

99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread

Well I have been reading everyone else's project threads (eyewonder & Bills have been spectacular) and I'm deciding to start up my own, just to keep all my pics and questions in one place as to not muck up the forums.

Just to quickly catch everyone up on the projects long history, 4 years ago when I was 16 I bought this 99 DeVille with 130k on the clock and fell in love. Well when she hit 135k she started over heating, I went through the phases of denial replacing the radiator, water pump, surge tank, etc. until I just accepted, it had a blown head gasket....
    Anyway, pulled the motor out the top studded the heads and sealed the lower end, put it back in, timing was off, no spark...
    Dropped the cradle, opened up the timing case 1 of the tensioners were blown. Rebuilt the timing case (new tensioners, new shoes the works) put the motor back in.. No oil pressure........
    After that I was out of funds and out of gas, I packed the car away and there it has sat for the past 3 years.

Now I am resurrecting this project and dropping the cradle once more, I'm going in and redoing pretty much everything aside from the head gaskets. Re-sealing the bottom end, replacing parts that have been ruined due to sitting (electrical harness is shot, air ride is probably shot, fuel rails are pretty bad)

I'll be posting pictures of the projects current state later on tonight so look forward to that.

QUESTION -- is there anyway to get that damn rear main seal out without dropping 150 200 bucks on buying the tool? My normal tool rental outlets don't have it, last time i did this I had access to an old GM techs tool collection, this time I'm not so lucky.

If there's not a backyard way of getting this thing off, are there any forum members in Arizona near the Glendale area that would be willing to rent one to me?

Thanks so much in advanced guys, it's been a long time since I have wrenched on the Caddy and I'm finding it's not just like riding a bike, I'm sure you folks will be answering quite a few questions for me so thank you all so much

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: 99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread

If you are separating the lower case, you can do that and simply pluck out the rear main seal... Otherwise you will need the extractor tool or devise one of your own.

Just a few pictures from both last weekend and earlier today, I'm removing the half case now, will report back later..

bill buttermore is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille 130K (Sold to Son)

My 98 had an older-style lip seal when I tore it apart. It just slid off the crank when I split the case. If you have a newer type seal that has been pressed onto the crank you can buy a removal tool on e-bay for about $25. Or, you can use a few self-tapping sheet metal screws along the axis of the crank and apply a slide hammer or careful leverage to pry the seal off. Be careful. Think how much it will cost if you mess up the sealing surfaces on the block or the crank. Makes $25 seem cheap.

The $150-200 is for the tool that presses in the new style cartridge seal. You can replace whatever you have with an old-style lip seal that will just tap in, but nobody does this. Why? Because the old lip seals were notorious for leaking.

Wow, you're moving fast!

Thanks for the replies guys, it sure is awesome to be working on this car again I got the oil pan and the half case separated today but it got to dark to take pics I'll try and get some tomorrow before work.

Basically the plan now is to put some work into drilling and tapping out quite a few holes that I mucked up back when I was 16 and moving way too fast. Then I need to get together a parts list for the motor do I can start ordering parts the next few pay days. Then it's on to cleaning up all the gasket surfaces and re-assembly.

After the motor is situated I'll start addressing body issues, the motor compartment has broken plastic everywhere, also I need to look into some suspension issues really gonna lean on you guys hard when it comes to the air ride, I've never worked on something like that before.

Also for those of you that saw my Electrical Harness thread I got ahold of Jake and he says he has a 97 that he is sending to the scrap yard and he said he could probably pull what I need off of that car, problem is we are only 90% sure everything is the same on that harness, can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys!!

Quick pics before work!

Studs still in place and they are gonna stay there, if I never see the tops of those pistons again it will be too soon.

And the 4t80e to top it all off.. Seems like I spent a lot more time separating this time around

Yikes, the crankshaft counterweights look a little crusty, how long did it sit? And what is that black grease around the lifters?

I gotta hand it to you, at the pace you're moving you will have it back on the road this weekend!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I hope the black goop around the cam followers is assembly lube...........and that crank needs serious careful cleaning.............

It's sat for the past 3 3 and a half years, definitely a lot of cleaning to be done, that and getting up the funds to order parts will be the longest part of this repair I imagine.

As for the black goop you hit the nail on the head sub, that is 3 year old assembly lube, of course all that will be gone and replaced with new when I start putting everything back together.

Thanks for the compliments on the pace guys, tryin to keep it up, gotta start drilling and tapping these bolt holes later this week or this weekend so more pics to come!

Little more progress today, pulled the rest of my harness (what a nightmare that was) also removed the remainder of the AC system (also a nightmare) as it has sat open for years and will need to be replaced.

As I pulled away the black plastic housing against the firewall it basically disintegrated in my hands, hopefully I can find a replacement.. Is this piece still produced new?

A couple pics of the morning progress...

The housing...

The harness..

AC and Firewall with everything removed...

That's all for today folks!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

As I pulled away the black plastic housing against the firewall it basically disintegrated in my hands, hopefully I can find a replacement.. Is this piece still produced new?
    Not that I am aware of. I think you are going to have a LOT of trouble finding a replacement.

I figured it would be an issue... Thanks Ranger.

bill buttermore is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille 130K (Sold to Son)

That's a junkyard item, for sure.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

When I do scrap that '97 I'll let you know if the HVAC cover is in good condition.....that is if you do have the time to wait.

Need parts for your Northstar Engine? www.northstarperformance.com

Jake Wiebe, developer of the SureGrip™ Cylinder Head Stud Kit

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.