99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Yeah bill that's what I was thinkin, the only problem I see with that is those cars have probably been ...
    99DeVille_NrthSt*r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac DeVille
    Yeah bill that's what I was thinkin, the only problem I see with that is those cars have probably been sitting longer than mine, I'm beginning to feel like I have a better chance at finding a unicorn. Then if I do find one in good shape, it's gotta be a bear to pull with the motor in the car and the car sitting on the floor (is that everywhere or just here that junkyards pull the wheels/tires off of a majority of the vehicles?)

Hey jake! I appreciate that sir, im not to concerned about the wait, it looks like I have been moving quick however I am running out of things to do that don't cost money hahaa.. So now things might slow a little as I get the project done one pay check at a time.

Worst come to worst I'll get out to a junkyard and pull what I need, the junkyard is just not where you want to be in Phoenix during summer let me tell you, hit 109 today before lunch!

Hey guys it's been a little while, the caddy has been on the back burner lately as I've had some problems with the Dailey drivers..

Mine (04 ford explorer with the 4.0) blew a harmonic balancer which apparently is a pretty common problem with that motor otherwise the truck has been rock solid at 140,000 miles and I bought it with 110,000 just under a year ago.

Then the girl friends (00 Honda accord V6) fried an alternator (she has a subs in the truck and that alternator just couldn't hold on any longer) so replaced it with a unit from a Honda Odyssey which puts out a few more amps also upgraded all the grounds to 2 awg.

But enough about all that, since I last posted I have decided that since the car has sat so long in semi poor conditions Im just going to go ahead and pull the crank for a good cleaning (just can't get at it with it installed in the block) as well as replace bearings and the piston rings, a couple of my cylinders had standing water in them so there is some rust and I'm concerned it may have gunked some things up. My main goal this weekend is just to clean up and inventory all the parts I will be reusing so I can put together a parts list.

My question tonight is what do you guys recommend for cleaning the cylinder walls and the crank? I have been going at the crank journals with some WD40 and an old tooth brush but it doesn't quite do the job. The cylinder walls I just don't know, I don't want to use anything too abrasive but I just don't know how delicate the walls really are, last time I tore the motor down it had been running a few days prior so the cylinders were nice and shiny.

I'll be sure to take before and after pictures for everyone!

Browsing eBay I came across this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-99-Cadill...#ht_5262wt_689

What do you guys think? It sure would save me some dough and all the brands seem to be the same ones I would get on RockAuto. That being said I know you usually get what you pay for.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 99DeVille_NrthSt*r's Project Thread

Whatever you use, DO NOT use Scotch-Brite pads.

MRneatfreak- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): (1) 97 Devilles, (1) 94 Deville, (1) GMC Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 99DeVille_NrthSt*r View Post
    Browsing eBay I came across this,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-99-Cadill...#ht_5262wt_689

What do you guys think? It sure would save me some dough and all the brands seem to be the same ones I would get on RockAuto. That being said I know you usually get what you pay for.
    I bought a set from Rock Auto, but it was only a partial upper set. Which was ok for me because I wasn't going to dig into the lower half. God knows the upper half is giving enough problems. So I think my set cost me about $60, had head gaskets, a flat gasket for the plenum/TB, the two reusable plenum gaskets, and a ton of valve stem seals, water pump rubber, valve cover rubbers, and other stuff I ended up not using. I'll have to take an inventory of what I didn't use maybe I can sell it to someone for cheap. Pretty good value if I had used everything. So I would think the bigger kit would be just as good, that is if you plan to use most of it.

Alright guys, got a few hours of quality time with the caddy today.

So I started out wanting to pull the crank and pistons,

So I removed all the connecting rod cap bolts 2/cylinder 16 total, it seems like these didn't have a whole lotta torque they came loose pretty easily I'm sure that's not normal. After the caps came off the crank lifts right out to expose the main and connecting rod bearings, some looked good @ 130k but others were scored pretty badly, the main bearing all the way to the timing side of the motor actually had ridges I could feel.

Here's a couple of the mains,

Rod bearings,

My pictures of the pistons didn't come out real great but they are pretty gummed up. I feel a lot better about the decision to pull the pistons and bearings, i think it is going to add a lot of piece of mind to the repair.

I began cleaning the bock up with some diesel, rags and old tooth brushes it's working quite well everything is shining up real nice. It got too late to take pictures of where I left off but I'll check in tomorrow.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Yea good decision to change those bearings... those are not healthy at all.

Hey thanks for the reassurance, I'll be ordering the set in the eBay link either this Friday or more likely towards the end of September when that paycheck comes in.

Can't wait to start reassembly!

Will check in later with a couple pics of the block now that I have cleaned it. I also think I'm gonna send the crank to a machine shop to be polished, I'll post pics but I think it's the best option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.