97 Deville Concours - Rough Starting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, 97 Deville Concours - Rough Starting in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I just replaced the motor an transmission in oregon now i live in colorado an first start off the morning ...
    bvaughn503 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

97 Deville Concours - Rough Starting

I just replaced the motor an transmission in oregon now i live in colorado an first start off the morning it takes awhile to start like 3 to 5 minutes than it starts ruff than ill turn it off an it will start right up but the lights kinda flicker for a min than that goes away does anyone have an idea what causes it to have a hard first start.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

Re: 97 Deville Concours

Weak fuel pump, stopped up fuel filter, bad fuel pressure regulator are candidates.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

Is there an external fuel filter..

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Maybe on the left frame rail, just about under the driver's side rear door. Retainer bracket, quick connect and hex fitting. Bleed off fuel pressure at the fuel rail test port or you'll really get a face full of gas. Replacement filters at any large parts chain store.

Google "cadillac forums 1997 deville fuel filter".

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '03 DHS, 1966 SDV, 1987 &1989 Broughams

^^^ I recently changed a fuel filter on a '92 Fleetwood, bled off the pressure and still got a face full of fuel.
    "How many times do I have to tell you, the right tool for the right job!"--Montgomery Scott

Some one told me the idle air control valve could cause that too watchu think it gets codes 0171 an 0174 ill clean the maf sensor an the check engine light goes off but it still starts the same first start

These dam cadillacs are as bad as women there never satisfied.... I just put in a new tranny an had carroll custom cadillac rebuild my engine an now she dont wanna start i think there worst than women... jus sayin tho

The two lean mixture codes point directly at a decent sized vacuum leak, not a fuel filter. Start snooping for a hisssssss at idle in P - remove the engine cover and really snoop.

It's not the MAF itself, either, unless you have an intake duct air leak at or after the MAF. VERY seldom will "cleaning the MAF" do a thing for your problem. (Unlikely, as your MAF is bolted to the throttlebody ???)

Do those codes have anything to do with the hard start in the morning.

Sure - Lean fuel mixtures can cause anything from hard starts to lousy idle to a midrange bog to nasty fuel detonation (hot cylinder/carbon chip/plug electrode = preignition).

Just for grins, here's a 10-minute fuel mixture check - cold hard start...............remove the air intake duct at the MAF - your MAF is bolted directly to the throttlebody ??? - and (door open and key ready to go) squirt a moderate shot of starting fluid into the MAF screen. Hop in the car and start it. Quick start ??? The starting fluid (ether-based) is more volatile than lacquer thinner - the engine should start immediately and run well enough for the ECM cold idle enrichment process to override the air/vacuum leak.

IF the engine lights off immediately, rather than a long crank, you have air/vacuum/fuel problems. Your codes point to an air/vacuum leak.

K i looked real hard an i cant find any hissin... could it be the idle air control valve i took it out an it was filthy grimey..

So after reading all the threads i could. i think its the fpr but i cant find were it tells u how to check it to see if its good or not

A failed FPR will normally cause excessively RICH mixtures, not the lean codes you have.

I believe that, in your car, the Fuel Pressure Regulator is in the fuel rail, just to the right of the rear part of the rail, looking over the engine from the radiator. A domed thingy with a vacuum line attached to the throttlebody casting by a plastic pipe. To test the FPR, remove the engine cover, start the car and let it idle. Carefully remove the vacuum pipe from the nipple on the FPR - if there's any fuel in the FPR nipple the diaphragm is ruptured. The vacuum line should have decent suction with a fingertip placed over the open end. Cadillac Tech Tips.

K i did like you said it didnt look like there was any gas in the nipple or line but there was no suction in the line either

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That line should have vacuum. Check the other end. Also it would not hurt to clean the TB.

Thanks ill try that now...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.