The best sealant for the oil pan gasket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, The best sealant for the oil pan gasket in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; For those of you whom have resealed the oil pan, what is the best sealing, longest lasting sealant you used. ...
    derone is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac STS

Post The best sealant for the oil pan gasket

For those of you whom have resealed the oil pan, what is the best sealing, longest lasting sealant you used. I've heard of the 'Right stuff' and gorilla snot(weatherstrip glue). Mine needs resealing after ~60k miles and I believe they used RTV on mine the first time. Thanks, I need this soon, as the car is in the operating room now. '00 STS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: The best sealant for the oil pan gasket

GM has a special curing (??? gray ??) RTV just for that job. Talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>>

I'll bet you can find it at a NAPA or Western Auto.

You might want to read through the Northstar rebuild thread by Bill Buttermore - right next to this thread - the sealant is discussed and shown in there.............

bill buttermore is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille 130K (Sold to Son)

Re: The best sealant for the oil pan gasket

I used Permatex Ultra-Grey in a pressurized can. I did not like the consistency, however. It had little bubbles that I think, weaken the bond. I have used Permatex Ultra-Grey in the regular tubes on many oil pans (not N*) and have been pleased with the performance. If I had it to do again, I would use the Ultra-Grey regular but look for a tool to help squeeze the tube to get a nice even bead. There is a lot to seal on a N* case re-seal within the 15 - 20 minute working window of the sealant, and squeezing it all out by hand would be difficult. Steve (eyewonder) used a tool to squeeze his sealant. His thread is on this forum, too. Saga of a naive HG repair

My case reseal is shown on p 24 of my thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-leak-24.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.