new crankshaft but........
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, new crankshaft but........ in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have-had a 94 4.6L 177,000 mile and I lost a rod bearing so i picked up a crank on ...
    burn2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

new crankshaft but........

I have-had a 94 4.6L 177,000 mile and I lost a rod bearing so i picked up a crank on ebay but the relucktor ring is differant more notches on my old crank and thiner new crank is thicker less notches. I'd hate to put it all together and it not run.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

growe3 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1993 STS and 2004 DTS

Re: new crankshaft but........

It sounds like you got a late model crankshaft. If so, it will not work in your engine. The reluctor ring is designed to pass the crank sensors in a different location, to trigger the ignition sequence.

-George

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by burn2
    I have-had a 94 4.6L 177,000 mile and I lost a rod bearing so i picked up a crank on ebay but the relucktor ring is differant more notches on my old crank and thiner new crank is thicker less notches. I'd hate to put it all together and it not run.

The only crank that'll really work in your engine is one for a 93 or 94. A 95 through 99 Northstar crank will have the same reluctor wheel pattern but the balance of the crank will be different as the connecting rod and piston mass changed in 95 and later years.

It sounds like you have a crank for a 2000 or later Northstar engine. It will absolutely not work in the early Northstars. The crank position sensors will not read the wheel and the system will not function at all. No way to make it work, really. Sorry...

burn2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

so if the balance is off what might happen?

peteski is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 Eldo Biarritz

I would say that the engine would vibrate like mad!

Peteski

mcowden is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It would vibrate so badly, you wouldn't have to put the transmission in gear to move the car. The car will just kind of "jump" from the driveway directly into the scrap yard. In other words, it's probably not a good idea if the two don't match up exactly. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but reselling it or sending it back is probably easier than putting it in and starting the engine.
    Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.