Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mcowden 
#1 ·
I have-had a 94 4.6L 177,000 mile and I lost a rod bearing so i picked up a crank on ebay but the relucktor ring is differant more notches on my old crank and thiner new crank is thicker less notches. I'd hate to put it all together and it not run.

#3 ·
burn2 said:
I have-had a 94 4.6L 177,000 mile and I lost a rod bearing so i picked up a crank on ebay but the relucktor ring is differant more notches on my old crank and thiner new crank is thicker less notches. I'd hate to put it all together and it not run.

The only crank that'll really work in your engine is one for a 93 or 94. A 95 through 99 Northstar crank will have the same reluctor wheel pattern but the balance of the crank will be different as the connecting rod and piston mass changed in 95 and later years.

It sounds like you have a crank for a 2000 or later Northstar engine. It will absolutely not work in the early Northstars. The crank position sensors will not read the wheel and the system will not function at all. No way to make it work, really. Sorry...

#6 ·
It would vibrate so badly, you wouldn't have to put the transmission in gear to move the car. The car will just kind of "jump" from the driveway directly into the scrap yard. In other words, it's probably not a good idea if the two don't match up exactly. I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but reselling it or sending it back is probably easier than putting it in and starting the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.