Cradle swapping possibilities
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Cradle swapping possibilities in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have been enjoying working on my '98 ETC and with the money I have in it, it will be ...
    Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Cradle swapping possibilities

I have been enjoying working on my '98 ETC and with the money I have in it, it will be a keeper for sure...

But with the experience gained and specialty tools I have bought for this job, I am planning to do more of this kind of thing. I posted in the Eldo/Seville section that I am planning to grab a wrecked but running/driving base Eldorado parts car (LD8). That will obviously be a great source for all kinds of parts plus a complete good running engine on the cradle.

My question is this... If I were to buy another Northstar project car with a bad engine, could I simply swap the entire cradle regardless of model? In other words, could I take this Eldo cradle and put it in a Concours? And if so, do all Northstar cars from '93-'99 share the same cradle?

Second question is other than losing the extra h/p and active suspension in swapping between an LD8 car and an L37, will there be anything else that will affect driveability? Obviously the PCM will have to be changed along with the cradle, but will that affect anything like the odometer? Will it cause any conflicts? I wouldn't think so, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Cradle swapping possibilities

The LD8 and the L37 uses a different trans. The LD8 has a final drive ratio of 3.11:1, while the L37 uses a 3.71:1.

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

^^^ I am aware of that, but if you swap everything, including transmission, axles, suspension and all... Pull the whole thing out, put a different cradle right back in... That's what I'm asking about.

89falcon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): my wife crazy, 1997 STS, 2004 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Faded Crest View Post
    ^^^ I am aware of that, but if you swap everything, including transmission, axles, suspension and all... Pull the whole thing out, put a different cradle right back in... That's what I'm asking about.
    I know an eldo cradle fits a 97 STS.....I've swapped them....son discovered the curb on a roundabout in the snow.....

-Talk to a salvage yard, they'll know what's interchangeable.
    -kind of a weird little thing, but an STS uses a different set of cradle bushings than an SLS....or Eldo.....so you will want to swap out the bushings.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.