Water Pump Change /Coolant Supplement Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Water Pump Change /Coolant Supplement Question in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I got my water pump changed and the coolant was changed in the process. The thing is, a month or ...
    blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Question Water Pump Change /Coolant Supplement Question

I got my water pump changed and the coolant was changed in the process. The thing is, a month or so before I had it done I had replaced the coolant and added the Bars Leaks pellets. My question is, do I now need to add more pellets? or did the pellets I put in a month prior go thru the system and do their job already. Many thanks for any advice on the issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Water Pump Change /Coolant Supplement Question

you should replace them every time you change coolant.

Thanks for the response Ranger. That's what I originally assumed but then again isnt there a chance 12 pellets in 3 months would clog your heater core or something? I thought the Bar's Leak is something you put in and it goes thru the system and does its job .. or am I wrong and is it something that is constantly circulating thru the coolant and once you drain it it's gone?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Well, as I recall Anthony Cipriano's explanation, the sealant tabs (or bars Leaks) is ground ginger root. It "circulates through the system and does it's job". Over time the water pump impellers chop it up the fibers so fine that it becomes ineffective, so it is recommended that it be replaced with each coolant change. The fibers are small and light enough that I believe most of it should come out with a simple drain. I doubt they would clog up any high flow areas. I do not know how much flow is through the heater core. If you look in your surge tank (overflow tank on a 4.9) you will see some brown "sludge". That is the disolved tabs. The tank is a low flow area. If you really wanted to be sure, you could flush it but I have never heard of that being recommended. Just drain and refill.

Any other opinions on this matter? About to throw in the extra tabs.. just wanna make sure i dont read a "i wouldnt do that" after its done. Many thanks to everyone throwing their 2cents in.

JimD is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx), '04 DTS & the witch driver gone.

Quote Originally Posted by blunted
    Any other opinions on this matter? About to throw in the extra tabs.. just wanna make sure i dont read a "i wouldnt do that" after its done. Many thanks to everyone throwing their 2cents in.
    Put the coolant supplement in there. Wal-Mart usually carries a product that I prefer to use for simplicity and availability. See product G12BP on this page
    http://www.barsproducts.com/origin.html I use two tubes each time.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

You need to add fresh coolant supplement any time the coolant is replaced. The supplement is lost when the coolant is replaced so it needs to be replenished along with the fresh coolant. Make sure you put the supplement into one of the radiator hoses not the surge tank. Putting it into the surge tank wont allow it to circulate through the sytem and possibly cause problems with restricting flow to the water pump from the surge tank.

Off to go throw those tabs in there. Thanks for the help everyone!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.