Deville oil leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Deville oil leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I've had oil leaks on a 96 and 99 Deville. Is anyone else having this problem or have is this ...
    BigJoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Deville oil leak

I've had oil leaks on a 96 and 99 Deville. Is anyone else having this problem or have is this an exception to the rule? My 99 was bought brand new and has been meticulously maintained.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Deville oil leak

I had a leak on my '97. Dealer said it was the half case. I caught 1 month before the warranty ran out.

SHERIFF is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DTS

I recently bought my first Cadillac..... a DTS. I'm not qualified to answer your question I suppose, because it only has 29,000 miles on it right now. I can say it is parked on a smooth concrete garage floor and my DTS does not leak a drop of anything anywhere so far.

low caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

yes my 99 deville is leaking from the oil pan ,not even enough to leave a spot on the driveway but the oil pan has a drip hanging off it every time i look under the car

BigJoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 99 has only 43K miles on her and its garaged. I haven't noticed any oil on the floor but the dipstick shows that I seem to be losing oil somewhere along the way. There was a little bit of a wetspot under the radiator support but I don't know where any oil could be coming from in that area.

Big Drate is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Intake mainfod, oil pan gasgets, oil pan, all these have leaked on my 94 deville, and i treat this car like it was my son.....oil leaks seem to be a problem

D-town lac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

everyone i know with a fwd cadillac over 4 years old has an oil leak

jameslwalker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My 00 deville uses oil between recommended changes - nothing on the driveway. Dealer service advisor said use Miracle Mystery oil between changes, which helps a lot.
    However, there was a leak previously and they had to remove the xmission (or something), but it was covered under the warrantee. They said it was a $2000.00 job.
    Hope you don't have that problem.

Jim

UntrainedMonkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I also have a 99 Deville and it seems to have a substantial oil leak. I have spoken to a local dealer and they say this is a known problem. It is not actually the oil pan gasket leaking but the half case. Because of the design it leaks down and appears to originate from the oil pan gasket. An ex-cadillac mechanic friend also confirmed this. My deville is out of warranty, so I have contacted Cadillac about the problem, although they claim they know nothing about this problem. The dealer says the repair is about $2300 and requires pulling the motor from the car.

Chris

caddywhizkid is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It dosen't require pulling the engine, BUT it is a HUGE job. I can 95% garauntee its the "half case" better known as the crankshaft lower housing I just finished one on 12/14. Took me 8 hours to complete.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by BigJoe
    I've had oil leaks on a 96 and 99 Deville. Is anyone else having this problem or have is this an exception to the rule? My 99 was bought brand new and has been meticulously maintained.

There are MANY sources of an oil leak. Any comment on the source of the leak or cause is pure speculation. You have to crawl under there and figure out where the leak is coming from. No one can do that over the internet.

Every time there's an oil leak mentioned people jump to conclusions that it is the case half, oil pan, etcetera. These serve as a good guideline for what to look for but you MUST look yourself and not rely on an internet forum to diagnose your oil leak.

It could be transmission, power steering oil, engine oil... Who knows?

Many "case half leaks" have been solved by simply replacing the o-rings at the oil filter adapter. Some have found filters leaking. Some "rear main seal" leaks turned out to be power steering oil running into the valley and out the weep hole in the rear of the block. One was on the forum recently like that. The point is, check it out before you start blaming a chronic leak problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano
    There are MANY sources of an oil leak. Any comment on the source of the leak or cause is pure speculation. You have to crawl under there and figure out where the leak is coming from. No one can do that over the internet.

Every time there's an oil leak mentioned people jump to conclusions that it is the case half, oil pan, etcetera. These serve as a good guideline for what to look for but you MUST look yourself and not rely on an internet forum to diagnose your oil leak.

It could be transmission, power steering oil, engine oil... Who knows?

Many "case half leaks" have been solved by simply replacing the o-rings at the oil filter adapter. Some have found filters leaking. Some "rear main seal" leaks turned out to be power steering oil running into the valley and out the weep hole in the rear of the block. One was on the forum recently like that. The point is, check it out before you start blaming a chronic leak problem.
    Where do you work? Do you even fix Caddys? I have fixed enough caddy case halves to know that almost every one leaks there if they have never been done. I also know that once done if done right they wont come back leaking.

Anthony Cipriano is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by caddywhizkid
    Where do you work? Do you even fix Caddys? I have fixed enough caddy case halves to know that almost every one leaks there if they have never been done. I also know that once done if done right they wont come back leaking.

So? Just because you have fixed a case half leak doesn't mean that they all leak or that this is the guys problem. Jumping to the conclusion that it's the case half leak is just wrong with no diagnosis or investigation. THAT is the point. I've seen "case half leaks" repaired twice on the same car that turned out to be the o-rings on the oil filter adapter seeping oil down onto the case half joint.

I've seen engines returned from the field with "incurable" rear main seal leaks that were power steering oil seeping into the valley and running down the back of the block.

Knee jerk diagnosis without seeing the car is worse than useless. It's misleading. It's certainly fair to indicate potential oil leak sources for investigation but jumping to conclusions as to the source of this particular oil leak is wrong just because you have seen one or two before.

In my investigations of case half leaks I find that most of the time the owner didn't even know he/she had a leak until someone walked them under the car and showed them. In other words, the seepage at the split line was not dripping on the ground and was an inconsequential "problem" until someone made it obvious to the owner - and then got paid for "fixing" the leak that the owner didn't know that they had before.

That is why I maintain that the split line leak issue is seriously overblown. There are some that leak, yes. At 100,000 miles a minor seepage at the split line is not a major failure by any means. But many of the engines that are "fixed" were fine and were needlessly repaired once it was brought to the owners attention. A case half leak rarely ends up leaking oil onto the ground in my experience. It will certainly make a mess of the lower half of the engine, for sure, but it really doesn't create anything more than that.

Leaks and drips that start to show up are commonly oil filter adapters, oil pressure switches, cooler lines, cooler line o-rings, oil coolers themselves, etcetera. Rarely does the split line seepage turn into the preported bedwetter that is described. Nor can it suddenly go catostropic and start spewing oil out as some owners are lead to believe by the mechanic that just showed them the greasy lower end of the engine and showed them that they have a leak.

Ok first if anybody did case halfs without adapter o rings they are a total hack. Second, the adapter is below the case half line. Third I said 95 % of the time. Also leaks and drips are NEVER the oil pressure switches, the adaptors, or the oil coolers, but ALWAYS the case halves the oil pans the rear mains or, more commonly the oil level sensors, or the oil cooler lines. I maybe new here but i will go head to head with anybody here when it comes to the N* as you guys call it. i work in a shop that does about a 1000 RO's a month and I handle A LOT of the caddys. I know what I see. LOL

an01sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anthony and I engaged in a most respectable exchance of thoughts. I'm cannot speak for Anthony, but I found the exchange thought provoking, whether or not it changed either of our philosophies,

If you don't mind a respectible exchange, I'd like to elaborate on the issue. Just because you have done however many whatevers, that doesn't mean that they all leak. What it means is that everything that has come into your stall is leaking. If the car doesn't have a problem, it's not in your stall for said repairs; therefore, without crunching vin numbers compared to what comes in for said repair, the numbers may be a small percentage.

(I trust me, I undersand the sos; you do it over and over and over. When I worked as a Caddy tech, one have beleived that all Caddilacs had been stolen at some time in their lives. Despite the fact that it seemed that all Cadillacs were stolen, if you were to crunch the numbers of Cadillacs in the area, compared to the ones that were stolen, it would be a safe bet that the majority of Cadillacs were not stolen at some point in their lives. Here's an intersting one: All collision Cadillacs were rear ended or side impact. All Lexus, and I mean ALL LEXUS were front end collision. Speaks volumes as to the nature of the driver--huh?)

Back to the oil leak: Based on my own personal experaince, neither of my cars--my traded-in 99 STS and my current 01 STS--leaked oil. In addition to me mentiong my other faults, I'm major anal about my vehicles. I constantly look everythig over with a fine tooth comb. I clean the inside of my wheels twice a week, and I scrub the exposed parts of my aluminum controll arms about one a month. My car is a garage queen--the other one was too-- and there isn't a drop of oil leaking from it, on the floor or anywhere else. The only external oil is just a micro trace at the oil plug, and it's probally residue from the plug's o-ring crush when installing it. In other words, you don't know about my cars and however many other people's cars because they are not in your stall for said repairs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.