SureGrip studded Eldo for sale?!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By 97EldoCoupe
  • 4 Post By postman2000
  • 6 Post By Ranger
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, SureGrip studded Eldo for sale?!! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...item20c54fccbc Black to boot..........
    98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

SureGrip studded Eldo for sale?!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Faded Crest is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '00 SDV, '94 & '99 Eldo, '03 DHS, '66 SDV

Re: SureGrip studded Eldo for sale?!!

I really doubt the fix will actually increase the market value to that point, but we all know that it's a heck of a car.

97EldoCoupe is offline U.S. Patent #8,740,532 - www.studkit.com
    Automobile(s): 97 ETC, 04 Bonneville GXP, 2010 Sierra SLT crew cab /4x4

I remember working on that engine at the old shop in Ontario. I believe I know the forum member's username that owns it. Awesome guy

It's worth a lot to have peace of mind (HG failure is a nightmare) that the engine won't have issues, + it looks to be in excellent condition. Cars are worth what people are willing to pay for them, and one in good condition that you don't need to do anything to, is worth so much more than buying a POS and having to sink thousands of dollars into. I bought my first 97 Eldo for $3100. Great car, Indiana car (no rust at all) but it had minor defects that I had to repair and the HG issue occured within a month after buying it. I'd pay twice that for a near immaculate car if the money was available (at the time $3-4k was the budget).
    BigCadMan_1 and BigCadMan_1 like this.

postman2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS 2000 Deville

I myself would pay more money for a Caddy that was studded. When I was looking for a Caddy and I came across one that had Time-Serts installed in my mind that car was not much better than one that wasn't repaired. I have seen this debate on this forum for a few years as to whats a better repair studs or inserts..some even say it dont matter they are about the same..But I know people personally who have had the inserts fail on them and I have seen people on here complain about their inserts failing but I have yet to hear of anyone complain about a studded northstar failing. Maybe they did and I missed it..not sure. Now I understand that inserts are used for a wide array of things and have been for some time, but if the studs have a better track record why the big debate? To me its a peace of mind thing. I'm not condemning the inserts but myself personally I feel more at ease knowing the studs are installed as opposed to the inserts. Now I know there are a lot of people who have the inserts and have went many miles with no problems but can anybody honestly say that they prefer the inserts over the studs, and if so would you be so kind as to explain why? Again I'm not trying to offend anyone or be sarcastic, I'm just curious as to why someone wouldn't want a repair that has no known problems ( at least none that I have heard of )

Well not all inserts are created equally... Norm's inserts have a perfect track record to my knowledge. AJxtcman strongly endorses those or GM Bigserts. Both are superior to standard timeserts.

postman2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS 2000 Deville

Yes some inserts are definitely better than others, but my question was and still is are any of them better than studs? I understand that some of the inserts are not bad. Let me ask the question this way..If the cost of doing the heads with studs were exactly the same as doing them with inserts would anybody pick the inserts?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm guessing that if the cost where exactly the same, most if not all would go with studs.

^^^ Another contingency has been the availability of studs.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

I'm ambivalent on the stud/NS300 discussion. I've used both studs and studs/inserts on several Olds 455 marine engines and both applications work perfectly under some pretty hellish operating conditions..

The idea with the aluminum block Northstar is to replace the OEM fine thread head bolt threads in the block with threads of more "meat": Either the current crop of studs or Norm's inserts does exactly that. The idea of threading either a stud or head bolt into an insert is immaterial: It's the block threads that fail, not the insert inner threads.
    Faded Crest and Faded Crest like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.