WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 2000 ELDO esc with about 68k. owned the car since new and have kept up with all ...
    ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Question WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado

I have a 2000 ELDO esc with about 68k. owned the car since new and have kept up with all the maintenance. This car has never given me any problems till now. Recently I was on a trip and about 200 miles into it the trip the misfire light started to flash , I was cruising at 75 to 80 mph. I slowed down to get over to the right lane and by the time I got there ther light went off, so I took it easy for a while . Twenty miles later same thing . I got to my destination checked as much as I could everthing looked ok and the car did not throw any codes or had any stored codes (had my scanner with me ). During the week I drove around with a mix of highway and rual driving no problems . A week later back on the road about 90 miles into the trip here we go again flashing light. The rest of the trip the light was going of and on, with no real interval schedule
    It seemed to be ok if I kept it at about 65 mph but that was no for sure cure . I got mad and started jamming the pedal down and it finally threw a p0300 (Random misfire). back at home in traffic and cruzin around car runs great . Sometimes when WOT from a dead start no problems . On highway when I WOT to pass the misfire light goes on but it quickly goes out . Any Ideas on this ? I got a trip comming up in about a month and I dont want to have any problems on the road. Sorry this is so long but these are the facts . Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Wot problem

Use the car's built in code reader/scanner system - it may show a history code that some handhelds won't.

The sticky post ^^^ "How to pull codes". Use the directions for the OBD-II system in your 2000 (and later FWD) drivetrain. After you erite down all codes found, and whether each is Current or History, return to the sticky and open thelink with "obd2" in the address. This will take you to a Master Index of all P,B,C, and U code definitions. Write it all down and post it all here.

FWIW, when the SES light flashes that's an indication of severe misfire and you run a very real risk of killing the catalytic converter from dumping raw fuel.

Have you checked the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) for a leaky diaphragm ? Under the beauty cover, rear driver's end of the fuel rail. Carefully pull the vacuum line connector off the nipple - any raw gas in there or in the line? If so, that's a prime suspect. Otherwise, you're in the ignition or vacuum leak diagnosis mode..............

Thanks !!! Im at work now but I will begin to look at this when I get home this evening . Ill report later .

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ELDO GUY View Post
    Thanks !!! Im at work now but I will begin to look at this when I get home this evening . Ill report later .
    Good..........Keep it all in this thread so we don't bounce around the Forum.

If you get a break, pop a brew (at work ????) and go to Discussions, Item Specific; Cadillac Tech Tips and wade through as many pages as you can, looking for threads discussing "missing", "surging', "bucking'.......stuff like that: What you're after is intermittent codes that cause misfires and messages to appear.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My guess is you are due for a set of plugs (A/C Delco 41-987). If that doesn't help, then it's probably a bad coil. The coils are in the ignition cassettes set into each of the cam covers. You'd have to determine which bank and then replace THAT cassette. The coils are not serviceable individually.

Got some update Info. I checked the FPR with a vacum tool and it held vacum .No evidence of gas either so I think Im good there . As far as retreiving codes from the cars system I think the Eldos buttons are different . The Info button has skip printed in yellow above it and the button only moves in and out the next button says info reset with (no) in yellow above it and the third button says trip reset with a yellow (yes)above it .The only information I get is by holding down the info reset button and info reset button at the same time Is (monitiored systems ok).
    I did leave some important info out in the inital post because it was getting long. The front coil cassette was replaced new about a year ago #4 was bad also replaced that plug at the same time with the proper ac delco plug . A few months ago replaced the rear cassette #5 was bad .I cheaped out and got a bone yard replacement that was about 10 years old and replaced the #5 plug with the proper ac delco plug. When I replaced the plugs they still looked good. Do the plugs need to be replaced before the 100k Tune Up . Any history on the life span of those cassete coils? Thanks for the help and Ideas . Beat me if necessary for cheaping out on that last cassette.

Ignition cassettes are generally pretty reliable. I would not hesitate to use a junk yard cassette. Especially for that price.

Unless a plug is misfiring it does not need replacing. Many times you can go well beyond 100K and many members have.

As for the codes, I know the Eldo's did not get a lot of the upgrades since it was slated for extinction. I wonder if it might possibly still use the old Pre '98 Seville method as posted by N*caddy in this link. Scroll down to find it.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

I will look in to that . My 82 and 85 eldos had that capability and it worked well. Thanks for the info

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

If you're not getting a specific cylinder code, make sure the intake/airbox clamps are tight & look for cracks in the plastic by the thottle body.
    If you do need a new coil, http://www.amazon.com/Cadillac-Eldor.../dp/B0064J1ZT6
    Cheapest I've seen.

Thanks for the ideas. Last night I tightened the clamp.I think it was ok but gave it a little extra turn anyway. I also did the spray test and did not notice any rpm increase. I checked the Bolts on the plastic manifold and found a few to be a little on the lose side, not horrible but not as tight as the others. I also revisited my coil repairs and checked the connections to the ICM. and cleaned them with contact spray . Could a faulty ICM cause a issue like this ? If possible could someone explain to me the function of this part . I know it probably directs the current to the proper spark plug but does it do any thing more than that and its it able to be tested ? I went to test last night but it was raining here so I turned of the traction control to do a coulpe of WOTs. The tranny didnt not like that and the service transmission appeared in the DIC message and started to act funny so I Quit for the day .Thank God the message went away it appears that Trans is OK today ! Thanks for the continued help. This is a great place to be if your a Caddy guy.

Could a faulty ICM cause a issue like this ? If possible could someone explain to me the function of this part .
    Check the ICM sticky near the top of this forum. While it is for the pre-2000, I suspect it works the same on the post 2000's.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

yes, the eldo would be using the 99 and older deville dash or the 97 and older seville dash

i have that same configuration ... holding down the red (warmer) button and the off button on the hvac panel will get you into diagnostics

----------

and i'd replace the plugs if you're anywhere near 100,000 miles (use only the acdelco oems ... ranger posted the part number in post #5)

if you're still having problems then start looking at the coils packs (cassettes)
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

On my car their is no red button for the heat . The hvac is turned on by pushing in a knob. To increase the heat the knob is turned and the led numbers change up or down in relation to the direction the knob is turned or you can change it from the controls on the steering wheel ! Tx.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

To get into yours, hold the "PAS^" & "OFF" between "mode" & "AC".

COOl ! Tx I knew there would be some way. With so many buttons many combos are possible. Just out of curisoity is the procedure listed in the FSM . It was in my 82 and 85 FSM's but i dont think I saw it in my 2000. but then there are about 700 more pages in the 2000 so i might have missed it !

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.