WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; # 236...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: WOT problem and P0300 - 2000 Eldorado

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ELDO GUY View Post
    Ok guys , Two more questions . Where is the CMP. Im looking on the passenger side by all the heater hoses on the block, on width side . And when I find it . How do I attack this thing. from top or bottom ? I looked in the FSM but its not real informative TX.
    Post #23, last sentence. Diagrams and illustrations.

Small hands and good light from just behind/below the P/S pump area. 10mm socket.

ELDO GUY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS

Found It ! This is gonna be nasty. Im looking for a 6 year old with strong hands . Im going to order the part . Looks like ill be busy this week and wont have time to do this till next Sunday. I report back when I get this completed . Thanks for every ones help with this one. I really was getting frustrated with this and was running out of ideas.

Re: Wot problem

HEY AZTEC ! after reviewing the situation, just a few more questions . How long were those needle nose pliers and after you removed the sensor how did you remove the connector ? It looks like you might be able to fish that thing up to the top once its removed from the engine. sorry for all the questions but I gotta do this fast on Saturday cause I got a wedding. TX. ELDOGUY

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

Re: Wot problem

Pliers were LLOONNGG. Took the sensor out first, pulled it up as far as I could and popped the connector off. Put the connector back on first before installing. Like I said before, I ground off a piece of the shield of the new one for easier bolt access and also used a shorter bolt with a starting nipple on it. 1/4 air ratchet makes this much easier. A bitch & a half no matter what you do and my friends have always called me Macgyver.

YA, sounds like it. If I didnt get your insight I might of brought it in cause In the next few weeks im pressed for time. The longest needle nose ive seen were 11 inches do you think that will do it? IM gonna use my 1/4 drive and make a handle extension. Did you move the hoses or leave them In . My plan was to try it leaving them in. Then if that didnt work I was going to remove the one off the expansion tank and muscle the rest out of the way. Tx.

11" should be good. Didn't move the hoses. Moving them might help, but if they've been on long enough, they'll probably break when you touch them and need replacing (Extra Ballbuster).

Got Ya ! Ill fill everybody in when I get this done. As A side note it appears that this issue is slowly starting to get worse. TX.

WOW , this thing got real bad about a block away from the house I got it in the garage. now waiting for part . Still no codes Was missing real bad . I thought this thing had a limp mode for problems like this ?

IF the CKP's or the CMP fail and/or throw codes which cause the SES light to stay on or flash, the engine will default to a fixed timing of 10 degrees BTDC - "limp mode". The engine would then run smoothly but with decreased power, responsiveness and gas mileage.

I'll go on record as saying I am not convinced this intermittent miss is a CMP problem.............weird things do happen on these engines, though.

Started car this morning was a little rough then smoothed out but Im afraid to drive it I will replace the cmp sensor on Sat and hope for the best. For the record checked the fpr again and its good . Seems like when the engine is at operating temp for a while , thats when the problem occurs . The no codes thing is killing me though.

Still no P0340?
    When warm, start & shut off a few times. I've seen the code usually pop up on start-up.
    Mine never missed, just blinking light, 300 & 340 codes. Check the ign mod ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    Still no P0340?
    When warm, start & shut off a few times. I've seen the code usually pop up on start-up.
    Mine never missed, just blinking light, 300 & 340 codes. Check the ign mod ground?
    You may have something there - Each coil cassette uses a coiled spring for the ground path to the cam cover. If that spring loses tension or if either end is corroded, the ground is compromised...........but the check/fix involves removing the offending coil cassette in his 2000 and later system. Also, each ICM - in the L leg of each cassette - is removable: there's a hidden connector and silicone seal inside the cassette. 2 screws and 2 tough plastic snap tabs on the cassette skirt.

Each of the two ICM's has its own connector and harness back to the PCM, thence to/from the CMP and CKP's.

Pictures of all this in my albums.

This could explain why I only P0 300 when I really push force the issue. No P0300 though when I was slowly gowing down the alley and the car was running real bad . Why do you think the totally warm engine would cause this problem . As a side note Ive used the Di electric grease on the the tops of some of the boots when I replaced the cassettes Could that cause a problem ? I may have put some around that green gasket To by the ground spring . I could be guilty of excessive use of this product.

I was thinkin more of the low side ground. The ground is the "B"(BLACK/WHITE) wire in each ing mod connector. They join and bolt somewhere left side of eng compartment(not sure where). Or maybe the ICM itself.
    Spring should ground high side, not affected by grease.
    But you did have a P0340 in the past.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.