Troubleshooting help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, Troubleshooting help in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have an 02 Deville I am trying to get through CA smog test. I have a data scanner I ...
    don_k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Troubleshooting help

I have an 02 Deville I am trying to get through CA smog test. I have a data scanner I use, and found what I thought was lazy 02 sensors. They would indicate lean condition with little variation for significant periods. I replaced the sensors and now they seem to work properly other than at closed throttle, where they once again show a lean condition with very little variation. My first thoght was a vacume leak during high intake vacume conditions. I checked idle map and found 30 kpa/9 in merc idle pressure. My thought is if there is a significant vacume leak my map readings should be higher. Help - suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

postman2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS 2000 Deville

Re: Troubleshooting help

Any check engine light or codes? If not then why are you concerned with passing emissions? I think you should be ok...

No lights or codes, but all readiness tests in the computer must be successfully completed to pass. Right now the cat converter test and the evap emissions test heve not completed. I don't know yet if this is related to the lean idle condition, but this condition is not normal. My idle fuel trims are both really high (ltft - +28% and stft are still showing +10% or more). Something is not working correctly.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Have you cleaned the TB and checked for a ripped plenum Don? A plenum rip will usually set two DTC's, but can't hurt to check it.

Ranger,
    I have sprayed carb cleaner around the area where the throttle body bolts to the intake, is that the area? When I sprayed the solvent there was no change in rpm.

Spray it around the rubber coupler between the TB and the manifold at the 6:00 position while flexing it with your finger. If it has a rip, that's where it will be and flexing it will open it up enough to get a response from the spray.

Ranger,

Thanks for stearing me in the right direction. I could not get a response to spraying solvent around the plenum, but the symptoms w/02 sensors going lean at idle and closed throttle decels supported a vacume leak. I removed the plenum (along w/the intake and injectors) and found a 1 inch+ rip in the 6:00 area. It was not real visible until I pushed on the area where there was a visible line in the 6:00 area. I replaced it and now the 02's are normal.

Thanks again for the help!!!

Those damned things are a real PITA. I suspect mine is on borrowed time at 93K.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Did they make them out of higher grade rubber in the aftermarket units? That's kind of a hosejob.

Not sure if they are available in the aftermarket.

I bought mine from the dealership, but I did find aftermarket units available on the internet. My dealership had them instock and time was a major factor in my decision.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I guess rubber gets old. Glad you found your problem!

It's not so much that the rubber gets old as it is the combination of EGR and PCV gases settling in the low spot of the plenum after shut down and deteriorating the rubber. Just have a look inside your manifold with a flashlight next time you clean the TB. It's rather ugly in there.

I was surprised at the amount of visible oil in the plastic intake and the gasket interface between the head and intake. I own a 90 vette w/lt5 that I found pooling oil in the intake and installed a catch can in the pcv line that collects the oil befor ingestion into the engine. I am seriously considering doing the same for my northstar.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Make sure of the type of PCV your engine has - 2001 or 2002 saw the change from a rattle-type PCV valve to a fixed orifice in the right (rear) cam cover.

Think of how long/how many miles it took for that amount of oil vapor to condense in that manifold - would running a catch can system to the bracket in front of the radiator be worth it ....... yes, if you could actually pour oil out of the manifold center distribution log, that's one thing.....but condensed vapor on the interior of the passages ?????

What is your present oil consumption ?? If the engine is not consuming greater than one quart per 1,500 miles (2,000 to 3,000 would be better) then according to GM your oil use is about in the design window of ~2,000 miles/quart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.