"Check Coolant Level" - on then off?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Northstar Engines and System Technical Discussion Discussion, "Check Coolant Level" - on then off? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; This morning on the way back from taking the Young Master to school (2 mi R/T) the "Check Coolant Level" ...
    JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

"Check Coolant Level" - on then off?

This morning on the way back from taking the Young Master to school (2 mi R/T) the "Check Coolant Level" info came on the DIC briefly, then went out again - the car had not quite reached the midpoint on the Engine Temp gauge on the left side of the DIC (2002 Deville base).

A slight drippage of some sort has been noticed under the front of the car, definitely not oil. A fingertip test of the moisture on the ground suggests a possibility of ATF, but the level in the trans seems to not be moving all that much over the last few weeks.

The reason I thought the drip might be ATF is that is has a slight greasy feel. It's pinkish, but then so is the stuff in the radiator. I decided against applying the taste test.

I'll check the surge tank in a few minutes when it cools down a bit to see what gives.

Any thoughts?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Swangin-&-Bangin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS

Re: "Check Coolant Level" - on then off?

I own a 2003 DTS. It is a problem with a seal. If you go to the dealer they will fix it under warranty... I have had this problem also..

Quote Originally Posted by Swangin-&-Bangin
    I own a 2003 DTS. It is a problem with a seal. If you go to the dealer they will fix it under warranty... I have had this problem also..
    Not so sure it's still under warranty - is an 02 but has 85K miles (story of purchase is a few weeks back in Deville forum.. )

I put a pint or so of A/Freeze in the surge tank this morning, although the level seemed to be high enough, if I read the dumb "Coolant level" thingy on the surge tank correctly - the GF is driving the car about 200 miles today, I'll check it again tomorrow AM and see...I hate these early-dark evenings, by the time we get home it's pitch black outside at 6 PM.. arrrgh

BTW, "a seal" where ?

I will have to go get my service records and see if there is an explanination of exactly what was wrong... What kind of Coolant did you put in your car? I was under the impression that you had to use some kind of special DrexCool coolant...

Here is what the service record reads..
    Water pump cover leaking.
    Replaced water pump cover & all related gaskets & clamps. Reapir Time = 1.50 Hours
    Per Service Bulletin # 03-06-02-004B
    -------Parts---------
    Qty - FP Number - Description
    1 - 12573948 - Gasket 1.079
    1 - 12571913 - Cover 1.073
    1 - 1470030 - Clamp 8.948
    1 - 12338017 - Clamp.Air 8.948
    1 - 3522676 - Gasket 1.252
    1 - 12346290 - DexCool 8.800

Hope this helps... Good luck.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

When I drove down to PA from North Jersey the first time to move down for school, about half way down I had the check coolent level message show. For about a week, it would come and go depending on the temperature of the engine. At the end my first week in PA, the car would get really hot sitting in traffic (hover just above the red). I took it to the dealer to get it look at. It turns out that the water pump housing and thermostat were both leaking so I had them replaced. End of problem. Your problem probably isn't as severe, but I would still have it looked at. You don't want to have any problems further down the road like a bad head gasket. Good Luck.

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Just changed the water pump cover gasket on my 96 STS yesterday. Had the puddle of pink/orange liquid on the floor. Gasket was $10 (!) at the dealer and took me an hour or so to change thanks to the forth bolt on the cover being a PITA to get to.

Thanks guys - I'm going to keep an eye on things. There is no visible coolant either 'fresh' or 'dried out' on any of the engine surfaces that I can see whilst peering down in that morass.. - not around the Water pump or anything. I'm thinking a possible pinhole in the lower radiator hose????

The only place I see moisture is on the bottom of the front crossmember that goes across the car just behind the plastic shield that runs from the rad back to the above mentioned crossmember.

We're talking maybe 10-12 drops a night, not exactly "Cry me A River" time or anything.

(Part of the problem is my GF's 96 Jeep Cherokee that we USED to keep parked in this particular spot in front of the old pile of bricks I call home, would weep coolant, ATF, Windshield Washer Fluid, Battery Acid, Oil, and every other G-D liquid in the car all over the place..so it's kind of hard to tell what's fresh and what's not.. )

Dadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 Kia Optima SX 2013 Kia Optima SXL

I have an '02 Seville, and the water pump housing gasket is leaking. I am new to Cadillac, so I will try to explain the best I can. When looking at the water pump, it appears to have two halves. The gasket in between, is the one leaking. Does someone have a part number to this gasket? I want to make sure I purchase the correct one. Also, where can I buy a Haynes manual for this car? I can't seem to locate one locally. Thanks for any info.

Don

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Jim,
    I think I have the same problem except mine only leaks about a drop or two. Can't see it but if you loosen the two clamps on the air duct and then lift the air box up and swing the whole assembly out of the way (don't forget to unplug the IAT sensor) you can get your finger tips under the bottoom edge of the water pump cover. I'll bet they come out wet.

Dadillac,
    As mentioned above I think you are talking about the water pump cover gasket. I have one setting on my work bench and will post the part no. when I get home from work unless someone else beats me to it (around midnight CST).

Go for a Helm factory service manual. You won't be sorry.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Helm has the factory service manuals...they're supposedly much much better...I have a chiltons for mine, and it seems to do alright for me...haynes, not so sure on...I've always prefered chiltons. Try ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    Jim,
    I think I have the same problem except mine only leaks about a drop or two. Can't see it but if you loosen the two clamps on the air duct and then lift the air box up and swing the whole assembly out of the way (don't forget to unplug the IAT sensor) you can get your finger tips under the bottoom edge of the water pump cover. I'll bet they come out wet.
    I just rigged up a small pan out of aluminum foil and stuck it under the car where the drip appears to be coming from. I'll check it tomorrow and see just how much comes out overnight. This weekend, if the weather holds, I'll dig around in there and see if I can find something, without slicing my hand up - I slit a nice cut on one finger the other day on the edge of the air filter box..them babies are sharp! (now that I think of it, maybe all the red stuff is blood! )

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Water Pump Cover Gasket
    Delco # 251-2000
    GM # 12573948

chazglenn3 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD

Hey Larry;

Has the water pump cover gasket been redesigned? The new one I bought was black and had little nubs all around it. The one I took out to replace was orange and smooth. Hopefully the black one will work better.

Charles

Well, my little Alum. Foil "Catch Basin" sat for 12 hours under the car, and this morning had maybe 1.734 total drips in it. And I'm pretty sure I had it under the right spot

The thing that's kind of perplexing is that the "spot" underneath the front of the car appears to be getting bigger - I just can't figure out how, unless the liquid there, which, as I mentioned in prior post, may have been Jeepish in origin, is slowly 'spreading out' over a larger and larger surface area.

We haven't had a great deal of rain here in S. Jersey in recent weeks, just the odd shower or two, although last Friday was a tad damp most of the day.

It's kind of aggravating when there's a big spot under your car, and it seems to be enlarging, but you can't figure out from whence it cometh..

My townhouse row has two parking spots in front of each house, so it's not like I can just park the jalopy in another spot, knowwhatimean???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.